Best place to Snorkel - Freeport, Cozumel or Cayman Islands

franb37

Hi there - I've been to all three places a few times, and in my opinion, I would skip the snorkeling on Freeport. There is no shore snorkeling in the Bahamas, and the two times I took a snorkel excursion, it was a cattle boat and the snorkeling was pitiful - hardly anything to look at except the same old fish and a lot of people in the water.

Cayman is good if you take a boat excursion there, or you can also snorkel from the shore. I've never been at this particular spot, but a lot of people like Edens Rock, which is walkable from where the tenders dock.

Cozumel was really nice the last time I was there, a large variety of fish life, and I even saw a barracuda attack and eat a fish. Just like something on the Discovery Channel! It was really cool, but some people might have freaked. :)

Thank you Tigger (by the way, is that in reference to the DIsney character?, cause I am a huge Tigger fan myself)

I kinda figured that Cayman would be the best place to snorkel, we are only in Freeport til 3:00 p.m. anyway, and I'm hoping we have enough time to go to Paradise Island.

Thank you for the tips, I will look into Edens Rock. Do you know if there are excursions there?

I love snorkeling in the Cayman Islands. I have been snorkling in Freeport and the Caymans and I loved it so much in the Cayman Islands that I got my PADI certification there (OK part of it was boredom but only part).

1. Cozumel, the best

2. Cayman Islands, I think.... since I don't know how much it has recovered for the hurricane last year

3. Freeport, would skip, unless you go to the marine park...don't remember the name

Have a great cruise!

franb37:

I love the whole Pooh set of characters too. I was Tigger at Halloween last year. The kids really dug it:)

I don't know how to say this but it is going to be difficult to see Paradise Island when you stop at Freeport, because Freeport is on the Grand Bahama Island. Paradise Island is just outside of Nassau which is on New Providence Island:)

I was really not impressed with Freeport when we stopped there last year. Where the ship docks looks really industrial. I did not give it a fair shake though because it was our alternative port after we could not go to Haiti because of their civil war:( Hate it when that happens.

I think snorkeling with the Stingrays at Grand Caymen would be a hoot. We were scheduled to do that, but it was cancelled due to the weather! We did snorkel at Grand Caymen and it was really cool. We also snorkeled at Cozumel. It was a drift snorkel trip which means the boat drops you off at one place and it picks you up after you "drift" on the current while snorkeling over a reef. Very cool, but crowded. I understand snorkeling at Dzul Ha is pretty good and it can be done from shore.

My husband and I loved snorkeling so much, we both became certified divers. I think any day in the water is a good day. Would love to hear how much you enjoy your trip.

We've snorkeled twice at Eden Rocks. You can walk there from the tender pier. Walk along the waterfront and you'll see the sign. Maybe a 10-minute walk. You can rent equipment and/or a locker if needed. Lots of fish. Stingray City is great for swimming with the stingrays, but not really a place to see anything else.

In Cozumel, we usually go to Chankanaab Park. You can take a taxi from the ship, and there are always taxis waiting when you're ready to return to the ship or to town. The park has a fee of, I believe, $12pp, but it is a beautiful park, with very nice shower and changing facilities, a nice place to get food and beverages, nature trails, etc. You can rent equipment there if needed. There are nice palapas and beach loungers. A great variety of fish and easy entry into the water.

Becki

I second going to Chankanaab park. The snorkeling was awsome and walking the beautiful trails were an adventure for us. We saw huge Iguanas walking about and we also saw a big tarantula in a tree that sent chills up my spine.

GREAT FUN!

continue down the road from Eden Rock to one of the other sites to the "right" from the ships. Eden is first and therefore the most crowded.

I've always liked Sunset House but it is maybe 2 miles ... probably less. But easy entry from their ledge on the iron shore and a nice cafe/bar right there when you come out....

check out their web site

Archived