South Beach Experience

logbook

Hi, has anyone ever done the Carnival excursion post cruise "South Beach Experience" that will then drop you off at Ft. Lauderdale airport? Our flight isn't until 4:00 and we don't want to sit at the airport. That seems to be the only excursion offered that will leave you off at FLL airport. Thanks for any input!!

My girlfriend and I did it 2 years ago and we are doing it again in December. It's pretty cool. They drive you around down town Miami talking about the different style of buildings from the 40s, 50s, 60s. After about an hour or so of that you get dropped off on south beach for 3-4 hours to do whatever you want. The bus then makes its way to Miami international and drops people off there then takes the 45 minute ride to fort lauderdale.

My girlfriend and I did it 2 years ago and we are doing it again in December. It's pretty cool. They drive you around down town Miami talking about the different style of buildings from the 40s, 50s, 60s. After about an hour or so of that you get dropped off on south beach for 3-4 hours to do whatever you want. The bus then makes its way to Miami international and drops people off there then takes the 45 minute ride to fort lauderdale.

Thank you so much for your response! Did you find that most places were open at that time? I see the bus leaves the port pretty early (8:00 a.m. maybe). And there was plenty to see and do where the bus dropped you off?

Yes, a lot of places were open. I'm a big coffee junkie, so when we got off the bus the first place I hit was a Starbucks. When the bus drops you off you are right on ocean drive. It's a nice place to walk around and see. We walked around and shopped for awhile then ate lunch, saw a tattoo place that was on TV and we still had time to kill. Just keep in mind that it is Miami and it will be expensive for everything.

The excursion/airport transfer doesn't get great reviews, but I booked it anyway for November after the Breeze TA. My flight is the following day, so I'm staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale. I figured even if the excursion is just so-so, it's better than getting to FLL and having to hang out till I can check into the hotel. Nancy

We have never been there, so I would like to walk around for awhile before we head to FLL. Never know when/if we will get back there! Thanks for any suggestions of what to check out. It will be early morning/afternoon when we are there.

I actually did this excursion May 2011. I had some of the best cuban food while in Miami, we did a little sightseeing but we were still at FLL pretty early. The excursion also drops people off at MIA as well, I believe the amount of time you get to experience South Beach may depend on the departing flights of others as well. Overall, I would still do it again.

The excursion/airport transfer doesn't get great reviews, but I booked it anyway for November after the Breeze TA. My flight is the following day, so I'm staying overnight in Fort Lauderdale. I figured even if the excursion is just so-so, it's better than getting to FLL and having to hang out till I can check into the hotel. Nancy

Fort Lauderdale has a very nice ocean front as well, along with a continuously running water taxi along the inner coastal. We take it to Las Olas which is lined with shops and restaurants. Quieter than Miami and closer to your hotel and airport.

http://www.lasolasboulevard.com/

While going to Ft. Lauderdale and spending the late morning/early afternoon there sounds nice, I don't know what would be the best way to get there. If we do the Post Cruise excursion from the ship in Miami, they will handle our luggage and take us to the airport in Ft. Lauderdale. Any suggestions?

We did this tour in January and enjoyed it. The bus won't be leaving the terminal at 8 AM, that's just when you disembark the ship with the group. By the time everyone has gotten themselves through customs and picked up their luggage, the bus won't leave until sometime between 8:30 and 9:00.

On our tour (this was on the Imagination), we were grouped with the people who were going to Jungle Island so they were dropped off first. Then we headed to SoBe. There was about half an hour of driving around that area and getting a history/tour from our guide, then we were let off on Ocean Drive around 10 AM. We had to be back on the bus at 1 PM. We enjoyed walking around, had a quick lunch at the deli near where the drop-off point was, and did some shopping. The shopping district is one block over on Collins Ave, if that's what you're interested in.

The bus dropped us off at MIA around 1:30, then continued on to FLL. With your 4 PM flight, you should be ok as long as there are no delays.

Hope that helps!

We did this tour in January and enjoyed it. The bus won't be leaving the terminal at 8 AM, that's just when you disembark the ship with the group. By the time everyone has gotten themselves through customs and picked up their luggage, the bus won't leave until sometime between 8:30 and 9:00.

On our tour (this was on the Imagination), we were grouped with the people who were going to Jungle Island so they were dropped off first. Then we headed to SoBe. There was about half an hour of driving around that area and getting a history/tour from our guide, then we were let off on Ocean Drive around 10 AM. We had to be back on the bus at 1 PM. We enjoyed walking around, had a quick lunch at the deli near where the drop-off point was, and did some shopping. The shopping district is one block over on Collins Ave, if that's what you're interested in.

The bus dropped us off at MIA around 1:30, then continued on to FLL. With your 4 PM flight, you should be ok as long as there are no delays.

Hope that helps!

Thank you SO VERY MUCH!!!! I really appreciate the breakdown and how it all unfolded!!! I believe the Carnival info says not to have a flight before 4:00 at FLL, so we should be okay. Thanks again for taking the time to respond!!

Luv South Beach. The actual touritisty (?) area is about 8-10 blocks, filled with hotels, bars and restaurants, beach and the ocean. You will see the sights, dogs picking up dollar bills, odd apparell on people and other abnormal sights. However, the natives are friendly. Most of them will help you in any way, spending $$ or not. The food is fantastic, pricey so check the menus before you sit down and the drinks are generous. If time permits, the tour is an excellent way to end the cruise.

Can anyone tell me if you were able to leave carry ons for the plane, on the bus while you got off? Or did you have to take everything with you?

We took our backpack with us but if I remember correctly, we were able to leave things on the bus. If you have small rolling cases for carry-ons, you could put them down below with the rest of the luggage on the bus.

Can anyone tell me if you were able to leave carry ons for the plane, on the bus while you got off? Or did you have to take everything with you?

We left everything on the bus. The driver never left the bus unattended.

We took our backpack with us but if I remember correctly, we were able to leave things on the bus. If you have small rolling cases for carry-ons, you could put them down below with the rest of the luggage on the bus.

thanks! We probably will have a small rolling case to carry on the plane.

Anyone else have any suggestions of what to do in South Beach for a couple hours on this excursion?

It's mainly eating, drinking, shopping, and beach. Not a bad combination ;):) Your guide will probably point out the Versace mansion on Ocean Drive before you get dropped off. That was interesting to walk by and look at.

There is also an Art Deco museum (also on Ocean Dr.) that's free and that has self-guided walking tours. Art Deco and Tropical Deco are big in the South Beach area. The excursion guide will give you an intro to that and the history. We didn't do the tour on our excursion but would like to in the future.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/arts/artdeco.html

We did the same tour and really enjoyed it. We ate lunch at a Cuban rest. as I'm fond of Cuban sandwiches. It was great as was the coffee. We also stopped at a Walgreens close to the bus stop and made a CD of my camera's pics for my friend to take home with her as we live in different cities. It was nice to see beach and also people watch on a Sunday morning. Very casual area. I would do it again.

It's mainly eating, drinking, shopping, and beach. Not a bad combination ;):) Your guide will probably point out the Versace mansion on Ocean Drive before you get dropped off. That was interesting to walk by and look at.

There is also an Art Deco museum (also on Ocean Dr.) that's free and that has self-guided walking tours. Art Deco and Tropical Deco are big in the South Beach area. The excursion guide will give you an intro to that and the history. We didn't do the tour on our excursion but would like to in the future.

http://www.miamibeach411.com/arts/artdeco.html

Thanks! I'll check this out!

We did the same tour and really enjoyed it. We ate lunch at a Cuban rest. as I'm fond of Cuban sandwiches. It was great as was the coffee. We also stopped at a Walgreens close to the bus stop and made a CD of my camera's pics for my friend to take home with her as we live in different cities. It was nice to see beach and also people watch on a Sunday morning. Very casual area. I would do it again.

Thanks! I'm looking forward to ending our trip in South Beach. Sounds like a pretty cool place to visit!

• 3 months later...

Archived