Carnival Fantasy Class Modified vs Accessible

hn7609

I was hoping to hear from somebody who has stayed in one of the fully accessible cabins on a Fantasy class ship. I took a trip on the Fantasy last month but had to use a modified cabin. Being confined to a wheelchair all of the time I did struggle with the modified cabin. We had a very hard time making the bathroom work for me. I quickly found the public handicapped restrooms were outfitted quite nicely & took care of most of my business in the "public areas". My wife wanted to cruise again & we have booked another trip on the Fantasy. This time we were able to get one of the 4 fully accessible cabins on that ship. Of course the Carnival rep who booked the room has never been in one & could only recite the info found on their web site. Could anybody who has been in one of the fully accessible cabins give me their thoughts on the cabin?? With only 4 accessible cabins on the ship it's a very small number of people who have actually stayed in one of the cabins.

I figure worst case it's still got to be better than the modified cabin. Even if its no better we will still find a way to make it work. Like I told my wife I wouldn't be going back if I didn't enjoy it last time. Thanks!!

A Modified cabin is just a standard size cabin with a few added features and isdefinitely not suitable for some who uses a wheelchair.

The Fully Accessible Cabin is on average 1 1/2 times the size of a standard cabin. It has adequate room to manuver a wheelchair both in the main part of the cabin as well as in the bathroom. You will find this to be more suitable to your needs and more comfortable. Some the features found in an accessible cabin are :

• Bathroom does not have a step as in the modified cabin . It's a zero threshold entry
  • Shower does not have a step over lip as in the modified cabinIt has a zero threshold entry
  • Shower is large enough to accomodate a wheelchair
  • Fold down seat in shower
  • Standard over head shower as well as a hand held next to shower seat
  • Grab bars in the shower
  • Grab bars by toilet
  • Sink is lower
  • Toilet is raised
  • Emergency pull cord in the bathroom. Also should be one near the bed
  • Generally has a lowered peep hole
  • 32" wide main cabin door
  • 32" wide bathroom entry
  • pull down closet rods

Always book a fully acessible cabin. They have room for you to manuever in the room and the bathroom is larger with a totally roll in shower. My DS also uses a wheelchair full time. The fully accessible rooms are for wheelchair bound peeps and the modified cabins are for people with more mobility.

Have a great time

• 2 weeks later...

Archived