Lava hiking advice Needed

breeding

We are going to be on the Lava viewing adventure through NCL on the 2nd of June. The tour description said that this will be up to 6 miles of rough walking. My question is what kind of shoes do we need and clothing? We are hikers in Idaho and are used to rugged territory (We have old lava also) and we have hiking boots but really did not want to bring them on the cruise. Would good tennis shoes be good enough? Also heard that you need to wear protective clothing but that it is hot? What does everyone wear that protects you that doesn't get too hot?? Thanks for any advice!!

My wife and I have hiked across old lava flows to view flowing lava at Kilauea. It can be one of the most spectacular natural events you'll ever witness, well worth the effort. We always wear very good quality hiking boots, blue jeans and full sleeve shirts. Lava fields, especially fresh ones, can be very rugged with sharp outcroppings and a fall can cause sever cuts. I think you'll find that the Kilauea lava fields will be much more rugged than lava fields on the mainland simply because they haven't been exposed to much erosion.

It can get hot walking on the old lava and I recommend taking plenty of water. You might consider adding a light windbreaker in a backpack if there is a chance of showers and take some sun block and/or hat. I also carry a light first aid kit and add small flashlights to my backpack if we go out for night viewing (night can be awe inspiring). Hope this helps.

Easttex is right about the equipment. I've been out on the lava field a few times, and it is rough going. You can get by with lighter shoes, but they should have a really good gripping sole since the terrain can be a bit slippery at times. Be aware though that the lava is sharp, and you can cut your shoes up if you get your foot caught on something. Hiking boots would be better, and safer. The current lava flow is quite a hike from the parking area. Make sure you have lots of water, and be aware that the air can be full of gases and bits of volcanic residue. Anyone with lung problems should avoid the area. The heat generated by the recent flows can be considerable, and even older flows are still giving off heat. You can do it in shorts and short sleeved shirts, many do, but just remember, if you slip and fall, you're very likely going to mix your blood with the lava.

All the above advice is right on. We'd add to take along and wear heavy (gardening) type gloves. If you slip, which is possible, human nature is to try and break your fall with your hands. On the lava it is akin to falling on broken glass. The gloves will help you survive that.

Lotsa water, it is hot and you're hiking on a black surface.

Enjoy, it is a sight to see and remember.

Ankle-high hiking boots are the best bet. You have no idea how tortured the landscape is - it looks basically flat, but the ups-and-downs are continuous. Twisted ankles are quite likely, and hiking boots are the best preventative. My strong suggestion is to take your hiking boots. You won't regret it.

Wear long pants (something sturdy like jeans) because if you trip and hit your shin - a constant likelihood - the fresh pahoehoe can cut very easily. And the suggestion about garden gloves is VERY good. We always take them also.

Take more water than you think you will need. Hydrate (i.e. drink a LOT of water) right before you begin the walk. yes, you might have to go #1 out there, but there are LOTS of places to hide from others in the tortured landscape.

You might want to consider a walking stick also (don't know where you can find one nearby, though. I had a stick on one of my hikes out there last year and was surprised how it helped.)

Bring a camera!!! Also, you might want to bring a poncho, both for rain protection and to sit upon. If lava is entering the ocean and easily visible (the two don't always go hand in hand) you might just want to sit for a while and watch. It's one of the most mesmerizing things in nature.

Also, the BEST time to see it is in the transition from day to night (or vice versa) I doubt that you'll be out on the lava after dark on a ship excursion, but if you are bring a flashlight - one per person - and an extra set of batteries.

Regarding how long the hike is, it varies considerably. Right now there are good ocean entries maybe 2 miles from the end of the road. A few weeks ago they were much closer, but sometimes it's a lot farther. Check the maps and discussion at http://hvo.wr.usgs.gov/kilauea/update/main.html

for the latest info.

Are these hikes guided or do they just let you hike around on your own? There is a lava viewing hike excursion from the ship, will it go out that far and have nay of you done this? Or is it best to go on your own? It looked like the rangers from the park did some guided tours as well, which I would imagine would be smaller than the ship would have? Or maybe the rangers give the ships tours? Thanks for anything you can offer... sorry if these are dumb questions...

It is unnecessary to go on a guided hike. I'm not even sure if the NPS offers them to active flows because they're constantly changing - one week they have to hike 7 miles roundtrip, the next 2 miles... it's pretty hard to schedule a "2 hour hike" when the destination is so, uh, fluid... But even if they are, it really isn't necessary.

Just drive your rental car to the end of the Chain of Craters road. At the end of the road there is a u-turn lane; you generally turn around and park along the road in the direction you came. The NPS has installed bathrooms and a small info trailer with personnel on duty during daylight hours at road's end. If lava is entering the ocean (currently in multiple locations) you can see the steam/laze clouds in the distance. They are your primary objective. Often there are also breakouts of lava on the flats, so ask the NPS naturalists on duty the current status. Then start walking. If you're fortunate to see good stuff it's a truly memorable hike.

If it was me, I'd head there first thing after you get your rental car. There are TONS of things to see in the national park, but this should be your first objective. Then, after you're done and back to your car, you can decide how much time you have left, and what you might think is important to see with the remainder of your day. (Thurston Lava Tube, Kilauea Iki, driving around the caldera, or maybe going back to Hilo.)

How do we find out how long the hike is (in miles) before we head over? We did the 1 1/2 mile hike each way before and it was worth it, but not wanting to do it again if it is that far. Thanks

Gambler, use the URL I included in my May 14 post. Use the info in the update and compare to the map at the bottom of the page. Right now, for instance (as I open the other page in a separate IE instance...) it says the two main ocean entries "are at East Lae`apuki and East Kamoamoa." You then look at the map and it indicates the East Lae`apuki is closer to the end of the road, about 1.7 miles as the crow flies.

But you ain't no crow. You'll go this way and that, sort of weaving your way toward the ocean entry. I'd guess you add 30% to the distance just because you can't go in an exact straight line. So call it 2-2.5 miles each way.

I've been there when it's just a few hundred yards from the end of the road, when there is zero lava on the surface within 8 miles of the ocean, and when it's several miles, and lots of things in between.

Activity can change quickly (from day to day and week to week) so check the URL frequently.

How do we find out how long the hike is (in miles) before we head over? We did the 1 1/2 mile hike each way before and it was worth it, but not wanting to do it again if it is that far. Thanks

We are using the ships (NCL Wind) tour on this one. In the tour description it says that there is a possibility of walking 6 miles one way. It is a 6 hour tour. If the lava is closer I guess we just get to see more.

Thank you everyone for your advice. We were not going to pack hiking boots and jeans but I guess we will fit them in the suitcase somewhere. Also thinking of buying an extra camelback. We have one but if we need LOTS of water maybe my DH and I should each carry one.

Archived