Just off Magic...why do I feel this way?

newbieMom

We were on the Magic last week and had a great time (mostly). The ship had some movement and we missed a port because of wind and waves one day, but it was never crazy or anything (nothing fell off of counters or tables...not even close) However...I have been feeling the ship non stop, and I'm afraid it's getting a little worse? I usually like to lay in bed and be able to feel the movement of the ship as a little souvenir, but today it's really getting difficult. I noticed while on the ship that when there was a lot of rocking I got VERY tired and fell asleep in shows for a few moments but I figured it was just from being so busy on the ship and getting little sleep in the week prior as I prepared for the trip. I've slept most of today and even as I sit here on CC I can feel the rocking. What the heck?!?! Has anyone had this before and if so how long does it last? Can you get vertigo on a ship?

The Magic seems to have more motion than other ships I've been on. There is just something about that ship. Had a friend go a month ago and he would not stop talking about the same thing you are. :confused: I had heard at one time a stabilizer was broke and they were not going to put it in dry dock so soon after coming out to fix the issue.

Our first cruise, the wife and I were like that for almost a week, it went away gradually. We have been on a cruises since, even in pretty bad weather and it only lasted a day or so. HMMM...... Maybe post-cruise blues???? :D

We were on the Magic last week and had a great time (mostly). The ship had some movement and we missed a port because of wind and waves one day, but it was never crazy or anything (nothing fell off of counters or tables...not even close) However...I have been feeling the ship non stop, and I'm afraid it's getting a little worse? I usually like to lay in bed and be able to feel the movement of the ship as a little souvenir, but today it's really getting difficult. I noticed while on the ship that when there was a lot of rocking I got VERY tired and fell asleep in shows for a few moments but I figured it was just from being so busy on the ship and getting little sleep in the week prior as I prepared for the trip. I've slept most of today and even as I sit here on CC I can feel the rocking. What the heck?!?! Has anyone had this before and if so how long does it last? Can you get vertigo on a ship?

Google mal de debarquement

Start taking some Dramamine. Happens to me after some cruises. Sometimes, it gets bad enough that I get really seasick days after the cruise. :(

Google mal de debarquement

Start taking some Dramamine. Happens to me after some cruises. Sometimes, it gets bad enough that I get really seasick days after the cruise. :(

I take Meclazine fir motion sickness and take it a few days post cruise which seems to help the swaying feeling I have if I don't

I had it for a few weeks after my first few cruises. If I've had it since then, it's been so mild that I don't even remember. It was annoying for sure when it was happening, but I knew it would pass eventually. And it did. :)

I was on the Magic in April, and I don't think it's just that ship. I think it's more related to the sea conditions. For me, the worst was the Legend. Like you, we had some pretty rough waters and missed a port. We *did* have dishes crashing and barf bags out in full force. A lot of the staff was even sick. :(

We were on Magic's sister ship the Dream in February and found that there was constant movement except when we were at port. There was lots of rumbling and shaking in the dinning room when leaving port also. I believe it is due to the construction of the ship. We have been on other cruises with rough waters and have had less movement. I too had "sea legs" for a few days after. Good thing it does go away.

One of the things I like least. My last cruise stayed with me for a few days. You still have your sea legs and your equilibrium (sp) is off. It should start getting better the next day or so.

I am fine on the ship never have a problem. However once I get home about the 3rd day for a bout 6 or 7 days straight I have what seems like sea sickness, very light but still. Have done this everytime. I just plan on taking the next week off when we get back to rest up and get my land legs back.

I had it a few years ago really bad. It wasn't just the funny feeling when walking. My head was spinning when looking at my computer etc.

I tried all kind of tricks people were telling me but taking the motion sickness medicine finally helped.

Hope you get rid of it soon!

The Magic seems to have more motion than other ships I've been on. There is just something about that ship. Had a friend go a month ago and he would not stop talking about the same thing you are. :confused: I had heard at one time a stabilizer was broke and they were not going to put it in dry dock so soon after coming out to fix the issue.

Other people have said that. But I was on the Magic recently (week of June 24, 2012) and hardly felt any motion at all. No different from any other ship I've been on. We even had one night of rough seas (the first night). I wonder why so many others complain about motion on the Magic, when I felt no problem at all.

It took me about a week to shake it after I got off the Liberty. And I grew up diving reefs 7 miles out in south florida, so have been around rough water my whole life. Try chewing some gum to equalize the pressure a little bit.

I would recommend going to see your doctor. You could have an inner ear problem that deals with your equilibrium and the feeling of "sea legs" and being unbalanced.Some people even experience this after getting off of an airplane too.

I don't know what exactly it is called- but have known that to happen a few people I've known over the years that have cruises in the past.

Unfortunately- non of my crew has had that issue with just getting off the Magic. Just hang in there.

HTH.

P.S. When you sit down say in a moving car does it all seem to go away?

And do you still have the feeling of "sea" legs if you sit and motionless ( not riding in a car but your body feeling like it is moving when everything is very still?

Archived