Belize City with a 1 year old?

rubygigi

I will be going to Belize in September on the Legend with my DH and our then 14.5 month old DS. I'll also be almost 5 months pregnant then. From what I've read here, it's looking like our best bet is to stay in the port area and not venture "outside the gates." So I have a few questions...first, do you agree that would be the best thing for our situation? If so, what do you suggest that we do while in port? Are there good places to eat? What are good souvenirs to buy? And is it a stroller-friendly area or should we just carry him in a carrier? I don't want to "waste" a day in a new place, but I want to stay safe and get the most out of what we are able to do. I know that's a lot of questions, but thanks in advance for any advice or suggestions you can offer!

I would definitely go to shore. If you stay inside the gated area you will be fine with a stroller. However, I recomend walking outside the fence to the small flea market just across the street for the best local shopping. That area would not be the best for a stroller as the walk across is not smooth. There are lots of shops and a restaurant or two inside the fence. There is also a chocolate factory you can tour.

There is no need to worry about the area right outside the gates. We were there in March and got our best gifts from those vendors. My husband loved the hand rolled cigars I bought there!

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I've been to Belize City twice--June and December and both times it was extremely hot with very high humidity, so bring a lot of drinks. It is also a tender port, and it can be rough getting to/from port. There is really not much to see in the port area. We were not impressed with the shops or the chocolate factory. This is one port where you really need an excursion planned out--whether to the ruins or tubing or diving--none of which really work out for you. If it was me, and I was 5 mo. pregnant, I'd enjoy the mostly empty ship that day and perhaps let the other half have an adventure. Have fun on your trip.

I would definitely go to shore. If you stay inside the gated area you will be fine with a stroller. However, I recomend walking outside the fence to the small flea market just across the street for the best local shopping. That area would not be the best for a stroller as the walk across is not smooth. There are lots of shops and a restaurant or two inside the fence. There is also a chocolate factory you can tour.

How do you get to this flea market? Is it pretty easy to find?

Thanks so much for your replies. We do want to at least go ashore and not miss the opportunity to check out at least some of this port of call. We booked this cruise for our 10th wedding anniversary knowing that I would be pregnant and that our 1 year old would be joining us. We have realistic expectations of what we will be able to do. We've figured out the other 3 ports but I was having a hard time with Belize with the warnings of it not being safe to venture out on your own and none of the excursions interested us. Thanks again!

My wife and I and are 7 year old daughter wandered all around town, met wonderful folks, shopped in numerous stores about town. Good local foods all over, one popular place it seems is Nerie's. We visited a school as well. Town looks a bit rough, but folks and architecture are great.

The wife was glad not to see a Carlos&Charlies/Margaritaville/Senor Frogs establishment or a big sandy beach. WE cruise to see different ports and cultures and so many seem cookie cutter these days.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Archived