5/1/05 Dawn Review--CHUNKS!

greenie

To quote a Metallica song..."Sad, but true".

Quick question...was it easy to make dinner ressie for the specialty restaurants the first night. I really want to take advantage of the 50% off and go to Cagney's the first night. Also, how soon after you board can you call or go and make these ressies.

I have a mini-suite so I was wondering if the Concierge could do this for us. We had an AC Penthouse last year (10002) and were spoiled. Unfortunately it is not in the budget this year.:(

Very easy, as soon as you board go to the Atrium where they do the reservations and do it. If they are not open yet (never had that problem) note the time when they are. I don`t leave this to Butler or Concierge on the first night.

To quote a Metallica song..."Sad, but true".

Quick question...was it easy to make dinner ressie for the specialty restaurants the first night. I really want to take advantage of the 50% off and go to Cagney's the first night. Also, how soon after you board can you call or go and make these ressies.

I have a mini-suite so I was wondering if the Concierge could do this for us. We had an AC Penthouse last year (10002) and were spoiled. Unfortunately it is not in the budget this year.:(

Karla, our concierge had been by to introduce himself an hour or so after we arrived. He'd encouraged us to let him know if we ever wanted ressies and he'd take care of it. So we did, and he did. I understand what Seahorse said though--unless you have met your concierge and (s)he seems helpful, I'd agree with what she said and make them yourself the first night to be sure.

The restaurant was busy, but (at least when we went at 7:30), it was not completely full. By the time we left, it was.

JudyF and Wendy, thanks for the nice words!

Thanks all for the advice!!

Think I'll head to my cabin drop off my carryons and head on down to the atrium on my way to lunch! Great idea NJCruiser...I am jealous that you get to say this Sunday. Let me know how it works out.

I know...We were just on our 4th cruise last month and are looking into the Dawn this summer then possibly another one in November. It's addictive!!

This is one addiction I love!

greenie,

I didn't get a chance to say THANK YOU for making me tear up from laughing at your post. Can you go on a cruise sooner than the spirit so I can read more of your outrageous reviews!! I love them! (notice all the exclamation points! LOL)

Karla,

We seem to be following eachother on these boards alot. :D from the keg posts, to the leaving people by themselves if they forget their docs, to dinner. What's your advice for excursions? LOL

Tim

For greenie...

Each time I read any of your posts it makes me wish we HAD STOWED AWAY on your cruise...what a "hoot" we all would have had together! Your lunch & dessert experiences in Venetian on your last, but elongated day, reminded me of a similar experience we had in IMPRESSIONS last year. It was Formal night and we were all "dressed to the nines"...you know what undergarments we women have to wear in order to look fabulous in your evening attire. ;) I had planned to eat "light", but the selections were just too tempting, so I decided that "dessert" would be the course to skip. Fortunately, we were in one of the semi-circular booth tables with our party of five, so my expanding stomach was well hid from the view of the other patrons! When our waiter came around to take our dessert orders, I politely declined saying that the previous courses had left me filled to the bursting point and that I wanted "nothing" for dessert. He was reluctant to accept my dessert refusal, but didn't turn "evil" on me...but, there was a funny glimmer in his eye. I didn't think too much of it. He promptly returned with everyone else's dessert selections, so I thought I was "in the clear" and he left. No sooner than he had disappeared, he reappeared again with another plate in his hand, which was held up high, so I couldn't see what was on it. I knew I was "in trouble". :eek: He gracefully placed that plate before me and I burst out in laughter...an act that my already stressed dress seams screamed against. Hysterical tears began to stream down my face as I showed my plate to the others in our cruise group...a plate all decorated in chocolate syrup which read "N O T H I N G". All I can say is that this waiter (whose name escaped me) was REALLY ON THE BALL...he gave me EXACTLY what I wanted! :o Needless to say, being the chocoholic that I am, I ended up picking the solidified chocolate letters off my plate and ate them. Believe me, that will be one dining experience that I'll never forget! (See photo attachment)

Debjo (slowly getting back to reality after my 4/24 cruise)

For greenie...

Each time I read any of your posts it makes me wish we HAD STOWED AWAY on your cruise...what a "hoot" we all would have had together! Your lunch & dessert experiences in Venetian on your last, but elongated day, reminded me of a similar experience we had in IMPRESSIONS last year. It was Formal night and we were all "dressed to the nines"...you know what undergarments we women have to wear in order to look fabulous in your evening attire. ;) I had planned to eat "light", but the selections were just too tempting, so I decided that "dessert" would be the course to skip. Fortunately, we were in one of the semi-circular booth tables with our party of five, so my expanding stomach was well hid from the view of the other patrons! When our waiter came around to take our dessert orders, I politely declined saying that the previous courses had left me filled to the bursting point and that I wanted "nothing" for dessert. He was reluctant to accept my dessert refusal, but didn't turn "evil" on me...but, there was a funny glimmer in his eye. I didn't think too much of it. He promptly returned with everyone else's dessert selections, so I thought I was "in the clear" and he left. No sooner than he had disappeared, he reappeared again with another plate in his hand, which was held up high, so I couldn't see what was on it. I knew I was "in trouble". :eek: He gracefully placed that plate before me and I burst out in laughter...an act that my already stressed dress seams screamed against. Hysterical tears began to stream down my face as I showed my plate to the others in our cruise group...a plate all decorated in chocolate syrup which read "N O T H I N G". All I can say is that this waiter (whose name escaped me) was REALLY ON THE BALL...he gave me EXACTLY what I wanted! :o Needless to say, being the chocoholic that I am, I ended up picking the solidified chocolate letters off my plate and ate them. Believe me, that will be one dining experience that I'll never forget! (See photo attachment)

Debjo (slowly getting back to reality after my 4/24 cruise)

Debjo ~ absolutely hilarious!!!! I'm sure he received a well-earned tip!!! BTW, I don't see your photo attachment. :(

This is one addiction I love!

Karla,

We seem to be following eachother on these boards alot. :D from the keg posts, to the leaving people by themselves if they forget their docs, to dinner. What's your advice for excursions? LOL

Tim

Tim: I just think we have the same sense of humor!!! LOL. As for excursions not too much advice. I kinda just like to "wing it". I am doing my first excursion ever through NCL - the alligator airboat ride in PC. I will let all know how it was.

:) :D :) OH MY STARS!!!! You two are HYSTERICAL!!! I WANT to go on a cruise with the BOTH OF YOU!!! Let's start planning one for 2007, (I already have a Dawn cruise February 2006) OK??? Which ship, the Dawn or the Spirit?!?!....(REALLY, I'm not joking!!.........)

Suesan

For the life of me I can't figure out why I haven't checked the boards in a few days.

When I logged in today and read all the info you two provided about 10006 I was really touched. Thank you so much! :)

A powder room as well as the bathroom? No sending hubby down the hall on this trip!

We've loved Le Bistro on the other NCL ships we've sailed, and are planning to have our anniversary dinner there. I'm drooling. Nothing new there....

I REALLY appreciate your comments about smoke in the Pearly King's Pub. No can do! Despite how tacky and cramped it seems our quarters will be, perhaps we'll try hosting St. Pat's in Central Park West. Our friends are in the adjoining balcony stateroom, so it's a short walk through the connecting door. Before they booked that stateroom they wanted to confirm that in doing so they wouldn't find themselves the Butler and Stewardess for our suite. I THINK they believe what I told them.

:confused: Cosmopolitan and Greenie--I've read about the three bottles of fun, but I'm not sure how that comes about. Does NCL ask what you want in advance, or is that something that's taken care of once you board?

Oh, now I remember how I missed getting on the boards this weekend--we were getting a bar installed in the family room. It's amazing what fun you can have once the kids leave the nest!

Thank you both once again for your generous gifts of time, knowledge, and humor!

Countdown Carla

:) :D :) OH MY STARS!!!! You two are HYSTERICAL!!! I WANT to go on a cruise with the BOTH OF YOU!!! Let's start planning one for 2007, (I already have a Dawn cruise February 2006) OK??? Which ship, the Dawn or the Spirit?!?!....(REALLY, I'm not joking!!.........)

Suesan

Suesan ~ Count me in too!!!!!

Tim: I just think we have the same sense of humor!!! LOL. As for excursions not too much advice. I kinda just like to "wing it". I am doing my first excursion ever through NCL - the alligator airboat ride in PC. I will let all know how it was.

Karla,

we definitely do! that looks like a lot of fun! Have a good time. :D

pamperme

Cosmopolitan and Greenie--I've read about the three bottles of fun, but I'm not sure how that comes about. Does NCL ask what you want in advance, or is that something that's taken care of once you board?

Oh, now I remember how I missed getting on the boards this weekend--we were getting a bar installed in the family room. It's amazing what fun you can have once the kids leave the nest!

The liquor list will be in your suite when you arrive. Corina will ask you to select three. Just remember to tell her if you need mixers. She will deliver all to you room promptly. There will also be chilled champagne.

Of course, you could make it easy and bring your new bar. lol

I REALLY appreciate your comments about smoke in the Pearly King's Pub. No can do! Despite how tacky and cramped it seems our quarters will be, perhaps we'll try hosting St. Pat's in Central Park West. Our friends are in the adjoining balcony stateroom, so it's a short walk through the connecting door. Before they booked that stateroom they wanted to confirm that in doing so they wouldn't find themselves the Butler and Stewardess for our suite. I THINK they believe what I told them.

So cool you have adjoining rooms. 10006 is a really large suite, you can certainly host a St. Pat's party. Greenie was supposed to come up and check it out...she never showed up!

Don't forget your shamrocks and shillelaghs. :)

We may HAVE to stay in our suite for St. Pat's, based on the T-shirts I'm printing up for my husband and cousin. On the front: "Blarney Stones" and an arrow that points down. On the back: "Free Shillelagh Rides--See the Man in Front."

What seems crazy to me is, as large as the suite is, it will only accommodate two.

I don't want to wish life away, and I need to lose a "chunk":o , but I'm so very eager for this cruise. Regards, Carla

OH MY STARS!!!! You two are HYSTERICAL!!! I WANT to go on a cruise with the BOTH OF YOU!!! Let's start planning one for 2007, (I already have a Dawn cruise February 2006) OK??? Which ship, the Dawn or the Spirit?!?!....(REALLY, I'm not joking!!.........)

Suesan ~ Count me in too!!!!!

Count me in three!!!! That would be fun get all the happy party poeple all together on the same cruise.

We will let you know how ours goes, we have a really fun group going this Sunday. Yeah that sounds so good to say!!!

Suesan

Yeah! I'm there! Wonder if the Jewel may leave from NY on '07. We must look into this ... Debjo, you game? :) That would be :cool:!

:) I don't think that the Jewel will still be in NYC in 2007. How about Royal Caribbean's The Voyager??? A rock climbing wall and an Ice-skating rink..... Nah, they don't have "Butlers" and once you have one you can't ever go "Butlerless".... Right Greenie??!!:D

Maybe the Spirit........ Maybe the Dawn...... Ooh, I am planning already....

Suesan

I don't like to sail the same ship twice if I can help it so let's plan another one then the Dawn. Too many ships not enough vacation time.

Your rules may change in a few days :D

The question will be what other freestyle ships out of NY.

On the other hand they may not - it is all about choices

Sorry about the delay folks...having some technical difficulties with my new CPU friend! :rolleyes: ...that and the fact that Cruise Critic only allows you 20 minutes to "revise" your message. I go on vacation, get a new CPU with updated Windows programs and I can't seem to do anything on a timely basis...BUT, ONCE I GET USED TO ALL THIS "NEW" TECHNOLOGY...LOOK OUT! I'm now thrilled that I have the ability to put each set of my cruise pictures on a CD and watch them as a "slide show" on my moniter!

And for GREENIE, SUESANJEAN, JUDYF, 2CRUISE4EVER, ...

What a fantastic idea...I can't begin to imagine all the FUN we'd have getting this bunch together on the same ship for the same cruise dates! :D I'm definitely game...DH and I don't have any plans for a 2007 cruise yet.

We are already in the planning phase for our 2006 cruise in honor of my 50th birthday...we must do something over the top (compared to what we've done so far) to off-set my turning the big "5-OH". I'm leaning toward Holland-America's Westerdam for September or October 2006 to the Caribbean at this point...even have a cabin all picked out...Greenie has me convinced that having a "butler" is a "must". From what I've gleened thus far, Holland America's private island far surpasses all other private islands...they even have "cabanas" with "cabana boys" (of course there's an extra fee...and for even more money you can get a "cabana butler"! The only downside to this cruise pick is the fact that we have to fly to Florida to get the ship.

I've had trouble finding information for cruise ships sailing out of NYC for September & October of 2006 at this point...so finding something definitive for 2007 would be even harder. What time of year is best for all of us to go...with our work schedules & the weather factors, DH & I generally plan our cruises between the end of April to the end of October. Sailing out of NYC is definitely a plus!

Well...looks like the "attachment" worked this time. ;)

Debjo

(who's just downloaded 1368 pictures from our 2004 DAWN & MAJESTY cruises into the new computer...who takes that many pictures?!?!? :eek: )

1998507359_2004AprNorDawn2004MayNorMajestyNothingDessert191.jpg.cf4f2b8e8cc1934e3810c08adccd86ef.jpg

Here's an idea for 2007...

If we get real serious about this...we could book something as a "group" and get some perks & reduced rates, provided we get a total of 8 cabins (the general "group" number amongst cruise lines).

If we go on an NCL ship...we should all get the MBNA Norwegian Cruise Line credit card and rack up the points...500 points = $500 off a cruise. If you don't already have one, you can read more about it elsewhere on these boards and on NCL's website. We've got one and got the $500 off our last cruise! Every little bit helps...especially since we've learned all about the butlers & concierges from GREENIE...I think we'll all be wanting some of those "better" cabins from now on!

Debjo

We may HAVE to stay in our suite for St. Pat's, based on the T-shirts I'm printing up for my husband and cousin. On the front: "Blarney Stones" and an arrow that points down. On the back: "Free Shillelagh Rides--See the Man in Front."

What seems crazy to me is, as large as the suite is, it will only accommodate two.

I don't want to wish life away, and I need to lose a "chunk":o , but I'm so very eager for this cruise. Regards, Carla

Sure hope you post pics., of the guys in those shirts....great idea:) Have lots of Irish coffee.

As far as the AA suites w/only 2 people...we did question that last year. We decided that (a) they wanted to allow 2 people to have a larger (than AD and Fwd.) suite, a smaller would be the AD (and aft) and (b) if you are bringing children, then there is the AB which has the second bedroom or, you can do an adjoining balcony or AC to the AA.

Thereby allowing 2 persons to have a large suite if they wanted it but to adjoin another suite (like you are doing) for children or friends.

It does make sense...not dollar wise for the consumer but comfort-wise for the 2 (AA) people.

We, personally, love the AA for two. It is wonderful. We are really spoiled with it.

If our children (grown) ever join us on a cruise, they will have to have an adjoining as we will never give up the AA. I'm sure you won't either after you see/live in this suite.

Can't wait for you to do this cruise.

It is wonderful.

Archived