need advice, best place to hide an engagement ring while boarding?

smith177

When my husband proposed, he had put the engagement ring in the camera bag. It was just a few months after 9-11 so security was super tight at the airport. They never batted an eye at it since it clearly shows up in the scanner. I didn't know about it until he proposed. 11yrs later, we are celebrating our 10yr anniversary with our kids.

I wouldn't put it in the laptop bag, everytime we fly we have to remove the laptop from the case so it would have the chance to fall out and get get lost or be seen!

Definitely don't put it in your checked baggage. Put it in your carry-on and you'll be fine. It'll clearly show on xray as a ring and they won't care. 100s of women board every ship with rings in their carryons and aren't stopped. :D

And, I agree with yakdaddy--I can't imagine they'll question where you purchased it. I've never been asked about any of my jewelry whether I was wearing it or not and don't know anyone who has been.

Have a great cruise!

DO NOT put it in your pocket, as your pockets may need to be emptied.

Most certainly DO NOT place it in your checked baggage!

Laptops have to be removed from their case, unless in a particular scanner friendly sleeve, which would bulge and show the box. Not a good idea.

I would put it inside a pair of rolled up socks, and put those in my carry on bag or something of that sort. That way, even while unpacking, she will not have a clue and it will still be hidden in your cabin. You have a safe as well, but she may be in & out of that too...which is why stashing them in a zipped up pocket of swim trunks, rolled up inside of a pair of socks, down inside a pair of shoes (with socks stuffed in them to keep the box in there) etc.

A camera case works great too if you know she will not want to get the camera out.

Good luck...

Edited by Almost Packed

I carry a jewelry roll on every cruise with the jewelry I will wear for the week IN A CARRY ON and they will not question jewelry. They see it in lots of bags. If you bring an iron, coffe pot, soda, wine, etc. they will look at it and will take the prohibited items like irons/candles. But never for jewelry. Tons of folks get engaged on cruises. Congratulations!!

my laptop bag has a zipper pouch and I was going to put the ring itself in a small ziplock bag in the pouch. The box itself I was going to put in the checked bag. I figure keeping the ring within eye sight is a good idea, if for some reason I lose the box (no idea why they would take a box) Id just deal with it. :)

• 5 weeks later...

I wouldn't let the ring out of my sight so either you carry it or put it in your lady's purse. If it's one of those mini suitcases like my wife's she'll never find it. :D

Edited to add congratulations.

Edited by Chmie

I had cheap jewelry go missing on our last cruise. I packed it with the rest of our souvenirs but when we got home and unpacked it was missing. You know the jewelry they tell you to go into tanzanite international and get your free earrings. Well we went in anyways so I got those earrings.

If people are willing to steal those, they will for sure steal a ring that looks much more expensive than those earrings!!

There's no reason you can't put that ring in a carry-on or in your pocket. I will show up on x-ray but theres no reason they should stop and question you over something that's so obvious what it is.

Put it in any carry-on bag without the box in a pill bottle. Pack the box separately and empty in your checked bag. Replace it when you get your bags in the cabin.

I was going to suggest taking it out of the ring box (if you do want the box for the proposal hide the empty box deep in your packed case!). Find a velvet baggie or something. In your laptop/camera bag's inner pocket (zipped!).

• 2 years later...

Funny I remember this thread. Its actually me, under a fake name. I was so paranoid about my gf (now wife) seeing this thread and ruining her surprise that I made a fake account. Funny because she has never been to this site. I guess you can never be too careful eh?

Been married for almost a year and a half and going back on the Splendor in April for our 2 year anniversary. In the same ocean suite I proposed to her in!

Cant wait!