NOLA Questions

sbfanatic

We are going to be in NOLA in mid September for 4 days pre cruise and have a couple questions. We'll have rental car and will be able to drive to places.

Has anyone taken any of the the Airboat tours? Any recommendations? Is there any good mom and pop type places for good cajun food in New Orleans or within say 30 miles of NOLA? Really looking forward to trying some real good cajun cooking.

• 2 weeks later...

Let the good times roll! In N/O try Mother's on Poydres St., Dennies on Iberville two blocks west of Bourbon, The Gumbo House, Tujaques, Bon Ton, and ACME Oyster House. Also try Middendorf's on Hwy. 51 in Akers, La. You can also find a great source of "unique" places At Roadfood.com.

Just type in New Orleans for a comprehensive list. We've been there many times and never been disappointed. Take a tour of one of the Plantations west of N/O. Also the riverboat trip is interesting. There are many small towns west of N/O such as Houma that have good Cajun/Creole food. Bon appetit

Let the good times roll! In N/O try Mother's on Poydres St., Dennies on Iberville two blocks west of Bourbon, The Gumbo House, Tujaques, Bon Ton, and ACME Oyster House. Also try Middendorf's on Hwy. 51 in Akers, La. You can also find a great source of "unique" places At Roadfood.com.

Just type in New Orleans for a comprehensive list. We've been there many times and never been disappointed. Take a tour of one of the Plantations west of N/O. Also the riverboat trip is interesting. There are many small towns west of N/O such as Houma that have good Cajun/Creole food. Bon appetit

As a local, I find Mother's to be a tourist favourite, not necessarily a local's place. The Bon Ton Cafe is a better bet in my opinion. If you are willing to head out of the French Quarter/CBD, Joey K's on Magazine Street is a great authentic local-cuisine restaurant, ditto for Franky & Johnny's on Tchoupitoulas (chop-eh-two-lass) & Arabella.

I have lived in the area my whole life and have never heard of Akers, LA! Middendorf's is in Manchac (man-shack) and it's excellent! I can guarantee if you ask for directions to Akers, you will get blank stares.

We took one of the haunted history tours this January. It was a very good tour and was really a history tour and not a cheesy ghost tour. It is a walking tour so I'm not sure it that will put you off. The Louisiana pizza kitchen on Barracks street is very yummy also. Our tour guide put us onto that one!

Not a local, but I spend a week here every year going on 12. We did two airboat tours with louisana swamp tours, just google it. We had a blast both times. First one the captain actually had a baby gator in the boat under his seat in a rubbermaid tote and we all got to hold it. DONT jump out of the boat if snakes fall in. You are safer with a snake then a gator!

• 3 weeks later...

Archived