Vanilla

beckymomof2

Of the ports we are doing the only place I don't have anything booked is Grand Cayman. I would like to get some vanilla for us to use over the next year or so and maybe some small bottles for friends. Is there anywhere right off the boat that I could buy some without having to take a taxi or bus?

Most of the vanilla in the world comes from Mexico and Central America. There are many stores in the area of the tender pier in GC where you could fine some vanilla.

Actually when I think about it, we will have time in Cozumel before we go to the dolphin swim. Do you know if there is any right at the port in Cozumel too?

Actually when I think about it, we will have time in Cozumel before we go to the dolphin swim. Do you know if there is any right at the port in Cozumel too?

yes, there are many places at the pier to buy vanilla. you shouldn't have a problem.

Vanilla is not produced in Cayman. The only place I could think to buy it is the usual supermarkets. It would be the normal McCormick brand (or other similar) that you can get pretty much anywhere in the States. Would just cost more here.

I've certainly not seen vanilla for sale at the gift shops near the port.

There is a whole "Vanilla" thread over on the Cozumel forum page which tells you the best places to buy.

You need to watch the ingredients, as there is an ingredient in some (not pure vanilla) that is harmful to your health. The forum discusses this.

It's not really MY thing, but the Cayman islands (as well as Jamaica) are the islands to buy Rum, or rum cakes. Not vanilla.

And, yes, you can take it back on the ship, but you will need to show them at security on the ship, and they will store it for you until the last day of the cruise.

Buy vanilla in Mexico.

Los Cino Soles is an excellent store in Cozumel. They have their own brand of vanilla and it is safe (does not contain coumarin). We have been buying it for years, very high quality. The store is great, not the cheapest, but good quality stuff and they are very professional, not pushy. You can check out their website http://www.loscincosoles.com

Los Cino Soles is an excellent store in Cozumel. They have their own brand of vanilla and it is safe (does not contain coumarin). We have been buying it for years, very high quality. The store is great, not the cheapest, but good quality stuff and they are very professional, not pushy. You can check out their website www.loscincosoles.com

I'm going to try to go there. How close is it to the dock?

Archived