Agency Etiquette

Stede Bonnet

I want to use an certain cruise agency to get points but I am not impressed with the agent I've been in contact with.

Having narrowed my choices to 3 similar itinerary/different line cruises, I sought advice on which might be better based on the profile of my family and received one line descriptions.

I guess I expected a bit more thought to go into the reply.

Are my expectations too high? I have never cruised or used an agent before. This cruise is a big deal for me and I want to get it right.

Would it be poor etiquette to call again and get a different agent?

I would not be concerned about etiquette. You're paying them for a service (a TA gets a commission or a salary when booking cruises). You have every right to be happy with the service. If you're not happy, change TAs or companies. Get an agent who does only cruises. Or call the cruise line you're interested in. We now just call one agent with Carnival as no TAs can offer less than their price- same with royal Carribean. And they know their stuff, only booking cruises for all.

How many points do you need to get something worthwhile? What can you get? I know Carnival no longer allows TAs to give more than a $25 gift- that is often on board credit or paying tips. I think there are other lines that also now have this limit on what TAs can give.

And you can shop for an agent like you do for a car. You are not bound to using them by calling them. You can tell them you are thinking of going on a cruise, you don't have to book with them because you call them! Call around until you find someone you click with!

A TA company you have never used before is offering points to stimulate business and you want to use them to start accumulating points? Do you have a good idea how truly useful such points will be? My instincts are that such a program is going to be of limited value. Is the TA in question one with broad enough experience and expertise for you to limit future your travel planning to just it in order to accumulate points?

A good TA should be able to add value to trip planning to justify the commission received. There are various ways a TA can add value, e.g., solve scheduling problems prior to, but especially those arising after the start of your trip, provide a ship board credit that otherwise might not be available, answer questions about destinations and book various accomodations thereat.

One of the primary ways a TA adds value is to give insight based upon their own experience with the product they are selling. Unfortunately, many TAs are nothing more than order takers. If the TA you are using has never been on any (or preferably all) of the various cruise lines on your short list, then they can't give sound advice.

If you feel the answers provided to you were not adequate, then it would be considerate of you to make that known to the particular TA who responded to you and to ask for as much additional information as is reasonably necessary for you to make a sound decision. If the TA in question can't supply adequate info, you should feel no qualms about asking to speak with a more experienced co-worker. If you encounter any bumps in the road during this process I would suggest you reconsider the TA, points or not.

A TA company you have never used before is offering points to stimulate business and you want to use them to start accumulating points? Do you have a good idea how truly useful such points will be? My instincts are that such a program is going to be of limited value. Is the TA in question one with broad enough experience and expertise for you to limit future your travel planning to just it in order to accumulate points?

---

If you feel the answers provided to you were not adequate, then it would be considerate of you to make that known to the particular TA who responded to you and to ask for as much additional information as is reasonably necessary for you to make a sound decision. If the TA in question can't supply adequate info, you should feel no qualms about asking to speak with a more experienced co-worker. If you encounter any bumps in the road during this process I would suggest you reconsider the TA, points or not.

For the first part, these are airline miles. I'm already accumulating these points and would like to continue. This is the only agency I've seen offering these points

For the second part I just don't wish to press the issue. The first cruise I asked about, when I asked if the quote given included OBC, the answer was "no" when I could see $400 of OBC on my screen for the cabin class I wanted. There was also an attitude when I said I could see the OBC if I made a direct booking. And I wasn't aggressive. I just asked if the obc was for persons booking directly only

I just want to deal with someone else but I'd love the points

When I go to a new company that I have doubts about, one of the questions I ask myself is: "If they act this way when they are trying to get my business, how will they treat me when they get it?". Right now they are trying to entice you...and you are not happy. Ask yourself what service you think they will give you after you give them money.

I would go with someone else. If it's airline miles maybe you could use an airline credit card for the same result. I wouldn't go with someone who didn't make me feel warm and cozy while trying to get my business. It can only go down hill from here.

Archived