72 hour airlfare war July 31st

wwwmarge

Just got a notice that there is airfare war going on with Southwest vs Delta etc. Travel good till Dec. Doesn't help me for January. :(

BREAKING: 72-Hour Fare War! Southwest vs. United, American, Delta, Others from $49 O/W

The clock's ticking on Southwest's brand-new systemwide sale, which discounts 2,045 routes for 72 hours only. AirTran, American, Delta, Frontier, Spirit, US Airways, and United are already matching prices on this limited-time promotion.

This happens pretty often. One airline cuts prices, and everyone else has to as well. Every airline is on a race to the bottom to be lowest, and people wonder why service and amenities lack when you're paying $50 to fly a $30 million aircraft with 5 crew members and 2-3x as many ground staff with expensive jet fuel.

But I digress.

An example of this is that I live in Kansas City, but grew up in Chicago where all my family lives. There are three airlines flying nonstop KC to Chicago - UA and AA to ORD, and WN to MDW. They all charge pretty much identical fares. If one is charging $99 for a Wednesday afternoon flight, you better bet they all are (at least until that fare bucket sells out).

Just more proof to always keep an eye on your tickets to see what is happening, and never assume one airline is lower than another on the same route.

Archived