Hell, is it worth the trip?

Sandman44

Is hell worth taking a cab to see? also, what about the turtle farm? I have heard that neither are worth the time. Also, I understand that it is very safe to walk around on Cayman, anyone have any different observations?

Hell no! turtle farm, naw. I feel safe walking in the Caymans. I know its a relatively wealthy island whose dollar is worth more than the American dollar. Having been a few times, I always felt comfortable there,

Rick

IMO (and I have posted this a lot recently) going to GC for the Turtle Farm and Hell are not reallyh "worth it". Both are interesting if you are there for a long time (I was there for two weeks on a land vacation) but to only have one day there and do those things will leave you, again imo, slightly dissapointed. There are other things to do there that are fantastic but not those things.

You will feel very safe in GC and comfortable walking (I have hitchhiked there and I would NEVER consider doing that at home). It is an excellent introduction to the Caribbean for those people who do not want their visits to other countries to be "too different". While I do not understand that philosophy there is a large segment of the population that prefers their travel that way and I respect that.

I think it really depends on your interests.

My husband and I booked a "Sea & See" tour through Carnival. We did the Atlantis Submarine (glass bottom) sea tour and Hell & Turtle Farm land tour. We had a really good time. We had a great guide that was very informative of the island as we were on the land tour portion. If I went back to Grand Cayman, I probably wouldn't go do them again though. It was fun to see "once". Our tour was $52 pp....I thought it was worth the money! We had plenty of time after the tour to just wander on our own...don't forget to try the rum cakes!!!

We visited "Hell" on May 5th....sent a post card home and it still hasn't arrived. (Today is May 20th) I have no idea if the mail is actually THAT slow or if they actually MAILED it? who knows...could have been "lost in the mail" as well.....not a big deal...but its really the only reason we visited there!

We visited "Hell" on May 5th....sent a post card home and it still hasn't arrived. (Today is May 20th) I have no idea if the mail is actually THAT slow or if they actually MAILED it? who knows...could have been "lost in the mail" as well.....not a big deal...but its really the only reason we visited there!

Just an update...my postcard I mailed on May 5th....just arrived TODAY on May 25th...whoa talk about slow snailmail!

David, I don't disagree with your general impresssion of Hell, but I would like to clarify that the jagged black rock formations at Hell are not lava, but rather a weathered limestone. The dark color is produced by a species of algae that inhabits the surface. Were you to break a piece of the rock, you would find that inside it is almost pure white. Indeed the entire island is made of marine carbonate deposits, limestones and marls. Many locals (including tour guides) will talk about lavas and evidence of volcanic activity, but I don't think you would find a trained Geologist agreeing with them.

I thought Hell was a waste of time. But at least I can say I've been there!Turtle Farm was kinda cool....you get to hold them. How often can you do that? Would be really neat for kids, I think. But, like others have said.....there's way more interesting and fun things to do there. Maybe if you rented a car and made those stops just part of a larger itinerary, it would be okay. Oh...and I highly doubt you would feel threatened in any way on Grand Cayman.

We just had to go, not much there but still we wanted to mail out postcards from hell and buy shirts that said I would rather go to hell then work, and bought my son one that said HPD, he is a police and the back said hell police dept. Again it only cost a few dollars to go there and see hell, and to have your picture made with the devil, they also had a place to put your face and the outside was a big red devil that said welcome to hell,,,,on my postcards I said I finally went where a lot of people told me to go for years,,,

It really depends on if you are the kind of person who wants to do something different and enjoy how your family and friends act when they get a postcard thats tells them WISH YOU WERE HERE,,,,,:)

Hell...was hot, boring and dead! If not for the "value" of going to hell, postcards from hell,and a snowballs chance in hell i say skip it. Big field, small patio, dead bar and rude people (but wait it's hell maybe that was the plan). We liked the turtle farm until we found out that they harvest them for soup (it's the Caymanian Nation Dish:eek: ). But it was very calm and the beach views were nice. We took the tour for about $35 per person. Was it worth the money? You bet. We had a great driver who was very knowledgable and open about what his family had been through (we were one of the first ships back after the Hurricanes last year) and was so gracious and charming, it was worth the cost just to have met him.

Archived