Can anyone answer this? (Internet access in room/Gem)

krisbenny0526

I would like to bring my laptop to keep in touch with family while we are away. I thought about bringing my camera as well so my children can talk to their dad and grandparents via Oovoo. I looked into cell phone rates and even with my package for international roaming it starts at $3.59 a minute lowest and text messages are 50 cents outgoing. I want to avoid phone use to contact family here in the US unless I have no other choice.

I know there are WiFi areas onboard, but can I use my laptop in my room and access the Internet for free or is there a charge to do so? If it is not free how much is it? Is it a flat rate or by how often you use the Internet. I read everything (as far as I thought) and from what I see it says Internet is available in rooms, but its listed as something for extra charge on a different page I was reading in my info booklet.

Any help would be very appreciated!!

Gem from NYC to Bahamas on 8-11-12!!

Onboard internet, whether in the Cafe or in your room, is a pay-by-minute process.

Any connection from any device in any location goes to a "garden wall" that requires you to use your log-in credential for billing purposes. The prices are listed on the NCL website.

http://www2.ncl.com/about/staying-connected-sea-internet-access

High bandwidth applications like Skype or Oovoo will either not work with the low data rate of shipboard internet, or be outright blocked by the ship's network.

I would like to bring my laptop to keep in touch with family while we are away. I thought about bringing my camera as well so my children can talk to their dad and grandparents via Oovoo. I looked into cell phone rates and even with my package for international roaming it starts at $3.59 a minute lowest and text messages are 50 cents outgoing. I want to avoid phone use to contact family here in the US unless I have no other choice.

I know there are WiFi areas onboard, but can I use my laptop in my room and access the Internet for free or is there a charge to do so? If it is not free how much is it? Is it a flat rate or by how often you use the Internet. I read everything (as far as I thought) and from what I see it says Internet is available in rooms, but its listed as something for extra charge on a different page I was reading in my info booklet.

Any help would be very appreciated!!

Gem from NYC to Bahamas on 8-11-12!!

ME TOO!!! Buy a intenet package..and go to the internet cafe, why lug a laptop!!

See you on our cruise:D:D:D

Unfortunately you have to pay to access the internet on board, even while on your own computer in your own room.

In some ports you may be able to tap into an unsecured network, but I wouldn't count on that.

@krisbenny526 -

I travel with an iPod touch and buy a package of about 90-100 mins for approximately $50 on NCL.

My package allows me to log on once a day, sometimes twice (on a 2-week trans-Atlantic), to exchange emails with friends and family. I do all my writing off-line, and when I log on, the mail app will do its thing automatically: fetch and send. Each online session takes between 4 and 6 minutes, no matter how much I send or receive. I found that the important thing is remembering how to log off - to stop the meter.

Availability within the ship varies. On the newer ones you can get Wi-Fi in your cabin, on some you may have to go topside. In any case, getting online is a heck of a lot better and easier than it was just a few short years ago.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

My sister was on the TransAtlantic crossing of the new Disney Fantasy and had to work in her stateroom. She said that the in-room Wifi was incredibly slow, but if she propped open her stateroom door, she could access a hotspot in the hallway which seemed to have a faster connection. So I'd suggest bringing a doorstop and giving it a try!

Actually, you phone service may be $2.49 a minute. That is the standard.

WIFI is just like like at home. Sometimes it is a strong signal, sometimes not so much. Still, you are sharing the same "pipe" up to the satellite with everyone else, at $.40 to $.75 per minute.

Text is cheap, but do not let a teenager try it. Your bill will be way high.

Archived