I don't know what I was thinking...

Quincella

We were planning to do the Road to Hana trip on our first day in port, with the Old Lahaina Luau that evening. Now I see that this really won't be an option, because the ship doesn't even get to the port until 8:00. By the time we get off the ship, get our car and get going, there's no way we'll be able to get there from Kahului and all the way back to Lahaina in time for the Luau.

My question: Will it be possible for us to do the drive (or most of it, anyway) the following day, with the ship leaving at 6:00? We'll have to be back on board by, I'm assuming, 5:30, and we'll have to return the rental car first.

Help, please!!

Yes, very doable, I think. Remember that Hana is just a point along the road, not the actual destination. Even if you don't get to Hana itself, you'd have a great time along the road.

Spleen

As usual, I agree with Spleen. :D We've done the drive and enjoyed it immensely.

Sounds like you will already have the rental car (from the first day)? If so, no problem--just start early (as everyone has mentioned). It should take about 8 hours to go to (and some past) Hana with plenty of time for stops and get back in time to return the car. If you don't get all the way to Oheo Gulch, that's okay. A bit past Hana is Koki Beach--it has the most beautiful deep red sand; I just stood there on the beach looking out kind of mesmerized by the sights, though it did not look like a good beach for swimming. If you want to stop at a black sand beach, try Waianapanapa Park. There are restrooms and other facilities (camping, etc.) I think there were caves as well (but don't hold me to it--my brain isn't so great anymore). Anyway, it was one of our favorite stops. It's a few miles before Hana. And of course Hana is fun--you must stop in the General Store if you get all the way to Hana. (My mother made us take a picture of me there, just to prove we made it all the way!)

So, take the road as far as you are comfortable going. Just keep in mind that it is an exhuasting drive. Leave plenty of time to get back (both because of traffic and the fact that we visitors should not, under any circumstances, try to drive the road as fast as the locals do). If you leave by 8 am, you should be able to get to Hana (and perhaps beyond) and back with no problem. I suggest bringing water/beverages and stopping for sandwiches or snacks in Kahului or Paia. (Please don't take fruit/veggies off the ship--it's forbidden for a reason; I'm not sure about bread and meats/cheese, the ship should have the rules clearly posted. Sorry to get on my "high horse" about this--I'm not saying you planned to do this, it's just that many people do. So, this is just a general comment.)

Have a fabulous trip. You've made the right decision not trying to do Hana and Old Lahaina Luau in one day. Aside from the timing, whomever drives the road is bound to be quite tired at the end of the day.

Aloha,

beachchick

Thanks, everyone! I knew all of you would set me straight. ;)

One more question...considering that I plan to make any stops on the way there, what time would you say would be prudent to set out on the way back in order to make sure I'm not catching a plane (instead of the ship) to Honolulu?!??!?

Archived