Grand Cayman and Jamaica

247kay

Hello I am hoping for some tips on where to snorkel on each of these islands. I have snokeled at Eden Rock and was a little dissapointed with the lack of live coral there. I am not a fan of snorkeling over a bunch of dead reef. Any tips will be appreciated.

Hello I am hoping for some tips on where to snorkel on each of these islands. I have snokeled at Eden Rock and was a little dissapointed with the lack of live coral there. I am not a fan of snorkeling over a bunch of dead reef. Any tips will be appreciated.

A boat snorkel at Georgetown GC is your best bet. Captain Marvin is a good choice. There are two snorkel stops, one at the barrier reef. The other stop is over "Coral Garden". A stop for the inevitable Stingray City is included.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

I'm not aware of any decent snorkeling at Jamaica. Maybe some one else has a referral?

A boat snorkel at Georgetown GC is your best bet. Captain Marvin is a good choice. There are two snorkel stops, one at the barrier reef. The other stop is over "Coral Garden". A stop for the inevitable Stingray City is included.

http://www.captainmarvins.com/

I'm not aware of any decent snorkeling at Jamaica. Maybe some one else has a referral?

Thank you for the information! I will check them out!

head a little down the road from Eden, to Sunset House . . . much less traffic there .... you'll probably not see another person from the ship (crew maybe)

JA? .... been there dozens of times and the only decent snorkeling or diving I know of is way away from the cruise ports.

• 2 weeks later...

I've spent a week on both of these islands. If your looking for beach snorkeling, in Caymen there is Cemetary Beach. This is a locals beach and there are no facilities. But, the snorkeling here is the best beach snorkel on the island. Go left from the pier and then make a right at the main intersection and walk to the bus depot. They are mini van type buses. There are usually a few in the parking lot. It costs 5 bucks per person to get to Cemetery Beach. There is a bus stop right at the beach. When you get off the bus, walk down the path along the cemetary to the beach. It's usually very calm waters and no crowds.

In Jamaica, go to Doctors Cave beach. There is a small fee to get on the beach, but no vendors to bother you. The beach is georgous. There are a few restaurants that will serve you at you beach chair. There is a protected reef that you can swim to from the beach.

Enjoy.

Archived