Who should we cruise?

jetloader

Would someone please help?:confused: I have been on the Disney cruise 3 times with my 9yo and 4yo. We went twice on the Magic and once on the Wonder. I want to do another cruise but go to different islands. On the Disney cruise my 9yo and his cousin can hang out by themselves and I don't have to worry. They can play basketball or whatever. And if they are hungry or thirsty they can just go get it at no additional charge. Can anyone who has been on Disney and another line tell me which is better.:p Obviously I want kids activities but like I said I been to the places Disney travels. And I want to see something different. I was looking into Royal but noticed they had additional fees for Johhny Rockets and ice cream. Also when my 4 yo wanted to go to the lab I got a pager when he was ready to leave. Someone told me at Royal I had to call every half an hour.:eek: PLEASE HELP

No, you don't have to call every half hour at Royal Caribbean! :)

Disney definitely has the most EXTENSIVE kids programming, given that they are open continually and kids can eat lunch and dinner with the program. No other line offers that, but many DO have excellent programming and limited times that kids can eat dinners in the program (usually formal nights). Most lines also charge a late-night group babysitting fee from 10:00 on (typically $5-6 per hour).

I would DEFINITELY recommend RCCL, especially a Voyager-class ship. TONS to do for kids and families together. If you don't want to pay extra for Johnny Rocket's you still have PLENTY of other food options. :)

Other lines that get good marks for kids programs include Carnival and Princess (depending on the ship).

Definitely expand your horizons; the kids may find they actually like the other programs better (generally there are LESS children than on DCL, and more personal attention). Good luck deciding!

Oh, LOVED Norwegian as well with their larger ships, but didn't sail with a child then. The kid's areas looked good but can't give details. What is GREAT about NCL is freestyle dining, TONS of dining choices each night (some alternative restaurants that charge) and no set seating times. With kids (or without, for that matter) that is very convenient. :)

Good Morning

I have been on the Wonder as well as the Carnival Victory. The two cruises were just 4 months apart. My daughter is 7 years old, she loved the Disney Cruise .. But LOVED the Carnival Cruise even more. She says the Camp Carnival was much better than the Oceaners lab. I think she liked the amount of kids in the Camp Carnival compared to the Wonder.

I loved the idea of the pagers, so you were always in touch on the Wonder. . On Carnival they don't have pagers for that age.

Good Luck in what ever you choose !

Thanks! I thought I decided on the Royal Voyager the ship looks amazing. But now I am stuck between the Voyager and the Princess Shapphire. I like the thought of going on the Mexican Riveria. Thanks again:D

There are 5 ships in the Royal Caribbean Voyager class: Voyager, Explorer, Adventure, Navigator, Mariner (of the Seas). They are virtually identical with interior decor being different and limited variations of amenities on the last 2 vs. the first 3 listed. My daughter finds much more to do on these ships than on Disney. Enjoy!

• 3 weeks later...

We just returned from a 5 day Carnival - we have been on Disney 4 times before.

We have a DD 7 and a DD18, DH and me.

We were SO pleasantly surprised by Carnival. We LOVE Disney and we LOVED the Magic, but we had a GREAT time on the Inspiration out of Tampa too.

Carnival is SO much more inexpensive and so we were expecting to 'get what you pay for' but we were surprised.

The Camp Carnival uses more of the ship and the kids get to move around a lot. The food on Disney was better- but Carnival was just about 5% less. There was more "to do" on the Carnival vs Disney - especially late at night.

I would recommend either.

Whatever you do - expect the BEST and look for ways to find a good time.

And you will!

No, you don't have to call every half hour at Royal Caribbean! :)

Disney definitely has the most EXTENSIVE kids programming, given that they are open continually and kids can eat lunch and dinner with the program. No other line offers that, but many DO have excellent programming and limited times that kids can eat dinners in the program (usually formal nights). Most lines also charge a late-night group babysitting fee from 10:00 on (typically $5-6 per hour).

I would DEFINITELY recommend RCCL, especially a Voyager-class ship. TONS to do for kids and families together. If you don't want to pay extra for Johnny Rocket's you still have PLENTY of other food options. :)

Other lines that get good marks for kids programs include Carnival and Princess (depending on the ship).

Definitely expand your horizons; the kids may find they actually like the other programs better (generally there are LESS children than on DCL, and more personal attention). Good luck deciding!

I too understood that RCCL charges for Ben and Jerry's gourmet brand ice cream but there is still a self serve soft serve ice cream station up on the lido by the pool.

And even though there is a charge for Johnny Rockets(no big deal guys-we have one in the local mall-all it is is a glorified Mac Donalds where the burger costs $6 instead of $2 and the coke is $3 instead of $1.25) There are still hotdogs and burgers, fries etc. served on the lido at lunch.

Now I am asking you as I have not been on a voyager class ship yet but that is what I have read.

I too understood that RCCL charges for Ben and Jerry's gourmet brand ice cream but there is still a self serve soft serve ice cream station up on the lido by the pool.

And even though there is a charge for Johnny Rockets(no big deal guys-we have one in the local mall-all it is is a glorified Mac Donalds where the burger costs $6 instead of $2 and the coke is $3 instead of $1.25) There are still hotdogs and burgers, fries etc. served on the lido at lunch.

Now I am asking you as I have not been on a voyager class ship yet but that is what I have read.

There is no food served on the pool deck on the Voyager class ships. You can get hot dogs, hamburgers, and other lunch foods in the Windjammer which is the buffet restaurant. Soft serve ice cream is also served in the Windjammer during lunch hours and afternoon snack times. (It may be served during dinner hours there too but I don't know since we always to to the dining room for dinner.)

Food is available 24 x 7 at the Promenade Cafe on the Voyager class ships on deck 5. Ben & Jerry's is also served at that location but there is a fee for that ice cream. Specialty coffee drinks are served there too for a fee.

The Promenade Cafe has 3 kinds of pizza available as well as sandwiches and desserts, coffee, tea, and hot chocolate all of which are free. The Promenade Cafe is one of our favorite places on the Voyager class ships! Disney is much more limited on food options available, with the only 24 x 7 food choice there being room service. We enjoyed the food from Disney room service but the service was extremely slow...

I agree - the food at Johnny Rockets is nothing spectacular and we think that the choices are very limited. We usually go there once on a cruise just because we get a Crown & Anchor coupon for it to be free and we like their milkshakes. There is an additional fee thought for the milkshakes at Johnny Rockets.

• 3 weeks later...
Mariner of the Seas leaves the same port. Voyager class ship with all those have to offer. Great itinerary and good prices. Definitely worth a look.

I agree with the above, save some money and enjoy new ports! I also enjoyed Princess and NCL . My first two cruises were with Disney when I had nothing to compare with. Since I have gone on 4 other cruises that were much cheaper and my family has enjoyed them as much. Eastern & Western Carribean, Alaska, Canada and soon to be Hawaii. Now that I have something to compare with I now realize that on my first two cruises which were Di$ney that they were way over priced for what I received. They were fun, I can only go during the summer when they want BIG BUCK$!!!!

I still love Disney, however another cruise with them is out of the question with my family.

Archived