Sorrento, Amalfi coast towns, Pompei -- wheelchair accessibility?

bilbo109

I use an electric wheelchair and cannot walk at all. With my wife's help I can get up a single small step or curb (10-15cm, 4-6") with difficulty and of course curb ramps are much easier. We'll be docking in Salerno (Sept. 18th) and have hired a wheelchair van with driver for 8 hours. We want to see the Amalfi coast so we're thinking of going to Sorrento and then back along the coast (so the sea will be on our right). Any idea how much driving time that would take?

Any suggestions on where to stop and explore? We're thinking of getting dropped off for a couple hours in Sorrento, starting at Piazza Tasso and exploring the old town area, but I have no idea whether I'd be able to get around. I get the impression that other towns (Positano, Amalfi, etc.) along the coast would be difficult for me but I haven't found anything definative. We'll be going near Pompei, but I don't know about its accessibility or whether we'd have time.

Any input, advice or recommendations on how to spend our time is welcome. Also, do you have any suggestions for a place to stop for a tasty bite to eat, either in Sorrento or along the way? Thanks!

Pompeii - There is a fairly new path called "Easy Pompeii" which is detailed in this link:

http://www.aponteviaggi.it/en/easy_pompeii.php

Sorrento - While there are some hills in part of the town and stairs down to the pier, the main areas of shopping near Piazza Tasso should be accessible. As far as places to eat, there are many little sidewalk cafes to stop after shopping. Try the bruschetta and of course, be sure to try the limoncello!

Jack -- I'm booking it through my TA. I don't have a website but may be find out. Cost is 750 Euros, higher than I expected, but they're based in Naples and normally only serve that port. The TA is not getting any compensation. Wheelchair vans are very expensive!

Archived