A&K 2013 Arctic "Polar Bear Country" Expedition

Portolan

While there doesn't seem to be much A&K chatter here, I'll start a thread for this expedition next summer.

I believe this is the first time they've offered this itinerary and, certainly, the first time it has been offered using the Le Boreal. It was first announced when we were on a great A&K Antarctic expedition on the Le Boreal this past January (2012) and seemed like a great companion to that adventure, so we signed up. There seemd to be a lot of interest from those on the Antarctic trip so we are hoping to see some familar faces...and certainly hope it will be the same fantastic expedition team!

So, anyone out there on this expedition?

While there doesn't seem to be much A&K chatter here, I'll start a thread for this expedition next summer.

I believe this is the first time they've offered this itinerary and, certainly, the first time it has been offered using the Le Boreal. It was first announced when we were on a great A&K Antarctic expedition on the Le Boreal this past January (2012) and seemed like a great companion to that adventure, so we signed up. There seemd to be a lot of interest from those on the Antarctic trip so we are hoping to see some familar faces...and certainly hope it will be the same fantastic expedition team!

Yep, I'm on it. Booked a cabin as soon as it was announce in Australia in February this year.

Yep, I'm on it. Booked a cabin as soon as it was announce in Australia in February this year.

Excellent! There were many of your countrymen on the Antarctic expedition so I expect a number of them will also have jumped on this trip, as well.

The Le Boreal is a great ship in the context of expedition ships. We're hoping for the same captain (Patrick Marchesseau) who is very personable and brakes for whales. Also, as mentioned, very much hoping for many/all of the same A&K expedition team who were excellent.

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...

We will be aboard with another couple. Have been in the Antarctic with Captain Marchesseau and he is a great captain. Have also sailed on LeBoreal with Captain Garcia and he is wonderful. As you say the ship is very nice. I think they will have a sold out cruise.

Scott - were you on the A&K le Boreal trip to the Falklands, S. Georgia, & Antarctica? If so - any tips on clothing, packing, etc, would be a help. We are on this trip Jan 2 2013.

Scott - were you on the A&K le Boreal trip to the Falklands, S. Georgia, & Antarctica? If so - any tips on clothing, packing, etc, would be a help. We are on this trip Jan 2 2013.

We were on this trip last year at the same time you will be doing it. The biggest clothing challenge was that we spent 3 days in Buenos Aires on our own in advance where it was in the high 70's, low 80's. Then on briefly to Ushuaia where it was 55 or so. Weather in the Falklands was a bit cooler (maybe 45 or so) and then South Georgia and Antarctica where it hovered right around freezing (30-35). We actually went over-prepared having done some serious cold weather trips (like Yellowstone in winter). Our standard "dress" became insulated/waterproof pants with a light set of long underwear and sweaters with turtlenecks up top under the provided parkas. The only parts that ever got cold were hands since we had a choice of really warm mittens (lousy for photography) or lighter gloves which sometimes became wet. While not particularly cold, you will spend up to several hours on a landing without shelter which causes it to creep up on you. When the sun was out (most of the time for us) it was delightful. Without sun, you begin to chill out.

Packing the variety of clothing needed takes up quite a bit of room. This is offset by the fact that the ship is very casual. I did have a sport coat along because of the time in BA, but sweaters were at least as common. You can save some bulk by renting the boots (which you absolutely need) through A&K. However, I liked the Boggins so much that on return, I bought a set through Amazon for $70 which is the same as your net rental ($140 with $70 refunded on return).

It was a FANTASTIC trip! We'd gone thinking of it as a once in a lifetime trip (we met folks on board for their 6th expedition!) and now think of it as something we'll do again.

• 4 months later...

Final payment is a reminder that we're just 90 days away from heading to the Arctic! Realizing that without an A&K-specific forum this thread may be hard to find, I'm still hoping to hear from more fellow explorers.

• 2 months later...

Archived