Was the Norway Haunted

Ive read on several paranormal web sites that the S.S Norway was haunted. "On several occasions, a strange hammering noise of an unknown source could be heard far below decks. The crew said it could be heard even above the gale of a storm and sometimes woke crew members from their sleep. " or "Ghostly voices and laughter have been heard by the ship's swimming pool. One crew member saw the wet footprints of a person appearing on the pool deck... with no one there." and "Numerous crew members and guests have experienced the ghosts - some of whom appreciate their wanderings and some whom would rather not have an encounter with them. A past crew member while cleaning a stateroom quit after witnessing the a man watching her in the mirror which hung in the bathroom." I also read the many crew members have had accidental deaths aboard this ship. Especially back when it was the S.S. France or was being built. That many of these accidental deaths the occured left behind the spirits of the person. The site has many more documented sightings like "There have been sightings of a tall male figure in the theatre. This figure appears pale blue and has been seen on the left side of the stage. He has also been seen in the light and sound room. Sometimes the figure dances and waves, but mostly just watches people silently. Cold chills have been reported as well as soft gusts of wind." Did anyone ever have a encounter?

"Ghostly voices and laughter have been heard by the ship's swimming pool. One crew member saw the wet footprints of a person appearing on the pool deck... with no one there."

Are you SURE that quote was referring to the Norway? I remember seeing something on the Travel Channel of an incident like that having happened on the Queen Mary.

I've been on ther Norway and did not sense anything out of the ordinary. No chills, unearthly voices....nothing like that.

If it was October 2002 then what you probalby heard was my now boyfriend and I having our first kiss in the towel closet off the Lido deck! ;)

Are you SURE that quote was referring to the Norway? I remember seeing something on the Travel Channel of an incident like that having happened on the Queen Mary.

I've been on ther Norway and did not sense anything out of the ordinary. No chills, unearthly voices....nothing like that.

I remember seeing something on the Travel Channel of an incident like that having happened on the Queen Mary.

Many years ago, I recall such a 'legend' attributed to the Queen Mary. My parents sailed on the Queen Mary in the early '60s, and told me it was part of the ship's lore -- though of course no one actually encountered any seafaring ghosts on the Q.M.

I worked on the Norway a few contracts and never did hear any stories of ghosts, etc. I think the other posters are correct in that it was probably the Queen Mary...I have heard stories about that ship.

If I recall about ghosts, they usually hang out in places that existed when they "died." Thus, the footprints by the pool aspect might not be "true". The two pools that were/are on the Norway did not exist when it was the France. The upper (smaller) pool was originally a courtyard for upscale cabins. The lower pool (aft) was dropped in when they "opened up" the ship for the original Caribbean runs. The original pools on the S.S. France were indoors...the below deck pool for upper class (changed to the Roman Spa) and the Dazzles Disco dance floor was the other.

When I first started to post on this board, the Norway was afloat and had a loyal following. Even then there was speculation about her being eventually retired.

I remember someone saying that the Norway had a famous resident ghost but can't remember who it was suppose to be. I wondered if it would be a good marketing tool. :D However I have read that the Queen Mary is having cash flow problems and that the ghost legend repels as many people as it attracts.

We cruised the SS Norway a few months before the boiler explosion.

While we did not see any ghosts or hauntings, about 1/2 thru the cruise I asked our then 10 year old daughter how she liked the the ship.

She replied that she really liked it "Because it was old and creepy"!!!!!! :) :)

Archived