driver license off the ship

2pineinn

I think we need to be more clear here. At many, if not most, ports you will need a picture ID (driver's license or other picture ID or passport) to enter the port area to get to your ship. To board the ship, you will need your sign and sail card or both.

Every cruise I've been on passengers have been advised not to leave the ship without your cruise card and a photo ID. I've been asked for it more often than not. In fact, I saw a gentlman having a difficult time boarding a ship in Bermuda because he only had his cruise card. The Bermudian official wouldn't let him through to reboard the ship until someone retrieved is ID that he'd left on the ship.

True, you may not be asked to show it, but I'd rather be prepared and have ID with me

I am a first time cruiser leaving this weekend for nassau, st thomas, and st maarten. I haven't updated my DL to include my new last name. I updated my passport though, which has my married name. I thought it was typically recommended to leave the passport in the room safe and just carry a copy with you. Will I have trouble with the last name I am cruising under and what is on my state issued DL being different? Do I need to take off work and get to the BMV for an updated drivers license before cruising? I carry a photocopy of my marriage certificate with me.

I hate the BMV. I've been twice to get it updated. The first time they turned me away because I only had a photocopy of marriage license instead of the original with a seal, and the second time they wouldn't accept my new passport as a valid form of ID. wth? Anyways, I didn't realize that I may need a DL with new name in addition to passport. Any advice is appreciated! thanks

I hate the BMV. I've been twice to get it updated. The first time they turned me away because I only had a photocopy of marriage license instead of the original with a seal, and the second time they wouldn't accept my new passport as a valid form of ID. wth? Anyways, I didn't realize that I may need a DL with new name in addition to passport. Any advice is appreciated! thanks

Does the website for the BMV have any useful information? Does the BMV has evening or weekend hours? Here in NJ our local MVC is open late on Tuesday and until 1pm on Saturdays.

Personally, I would update the DL before I leave but that's just me. I like to cover my bases. I would say if your cruise card has your new name your DL probably should too.

I am a first time cruiser leaving this weekend for nassau, st thomas, and st maarten. I haven't updated my DL to include my new last name. I updated my passport though, which has my married name. I thought it was typically recommended to leave the passport in the room safe and just carry a copy with you. Will I have trouble with the last name I am cruising under and what is on my state issued DL being different?

Relax.

No, you will have no trouble with your DL. From my experience on numerous islands, you hand them the DL, they hardly look at it. If they do look at it, they look at you and the picture. If the name on the DL is Bozo D. Clown, it won't matter.

I fly out sat morning so there are no late BMV hours before I leave. I just chatted with a royal caribbean rep and asked the same question. His response was that RCI only requires the sail pass to board and "I could not begin to speculate what would be considered sufficient identification at any particular port-of-call. I recommend the use of internet resources, such as Google.com."

Seriously?!? Google.com? Thanks for that nugget of wisdom, "Gerry". lol

Relax.

No, you will have no trouble with your DL. From my experience on numerous islands, you hand them the DL, they hardly look at it. If they do look at it, they look at you and the picture. If the name on the DL is Bozo D. Clown, it won't matter.

Lol! Thanks :)

Archived