Alaska Golden Princess Aug 4 - review and photos

bobalink

Glacier Bay: The weather was fairly good for viewing the glaciers, some drizzle, and cold. We saw some glacier calving.

Do you have any video of the calving?

Nice review. We were on the Whale Watching tour and saw the bubble net feeding also!

Hi...thanks for your WONDERFUL review...we will be cruising the GP in 3 weeks. From your description...I'm excited to go.

Not sure if you drink but did you happen to notice the beer they serve? I was told no Bud products of any kind, anymore on Princess. My husband sells the product and I've been reading they discontinued their contract with them. If you have any idea...

Thanks!

They have a variety of beers including Bud and Bud Lite.

Dan

Do you have any video of the calving?

Nice review. We were on the Whale Watching tour and saw the bubble net feeding also!

Yes, I "caught" just the tail end of calving on video. My SIL got a better clip.

It is hard to "catch" it, it happens so quickly. My point and shoot camera has some nice features, I need to learn how to use it. :)

AWESOME pics and nice review. Makes me want to get Alaska on my "to do" list. However' date=' that one picture of your kids on the zodiac makes me think twice....kind of chilly. I like thinking warm weather = cruises!!![/quote']

I know the way we were dressed for the Zodiac makes it look like it was freezing. It really wasn't that cold. The tour operator requires you to put on all that stuff mostly to stay dry.

On our excursion to the Eagle Preserve in Haines, the tour operator provided similar garb for us to wear.

7826714338_fc1729f9ca_c.jpg

IMG_0708 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

I love your photos, particularly the first two: bubble net feeding of the whales and the fluke close-up! Spectacular! We were in Alaska last week with absolutely stunning weather all week long! Probably was a much different trip that yours! We did a seaplane ride and Taku Lodge in Juneau which was a terrific trip. After seeing your pictures, I wish we had done the whale excursion, too!

Thanx for sharing your beautiful pictures!

Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures! I am so jealous--our whale watching in Juneau was cancelled. Guess that means I have to go again. ;)

EMBARKATION and The Golden Princess:

We arrived around 2pm and embarkation process was quick and easy! Very organized.

This was our second time sailing on the Golden Princess. We love the ship and the crew couldn’t be better. The ship is beautiful, clean and comfortable. It shows a few signs of age and a little wear and tear, but nothing major. The crew is constantly cleaning.

Staterooms:

DH and I were in a mini-suite on Dolphin Deck. The room was great, my only complaint was the balcony. Somehow I had forgotten that the Dolphin deck has the exposed balcony. I would prefer a covered balcony for Alaska, as it always rains.

DD and SIL were in a balcony on Baja deck and their balcony was covered, very nice.

Single DD had an interior stateroom down the hall from us on the Dolphin deck. I had never been in an inside room and was surprised at how roomy it was. She loved it, and said it was quiet and very dark at night!

DINING and food in general:

We had Anytime Dining and it worked out well for us. We only waited for a few minutes to get seated. Overall we liked the food in all venues.

We especially love the convenience of grabbing a quick bite at the International Café. I purchased a Coffee Card, and used it often!

On embarkation day, the menu in Bernini’s was weird. The selections didn’t seem to go together. But after the first night, selections improved and we enjoyed the food.

We dined at The Crown Grill one night and the food was excellent.

Pub Lunch: we went on both the days it was offered. Great.

Activities on board:

We typically do very port intensive cruises, so it was nice to have the time to enjoy some of the activities on this cruise.

Zumba class was a great work out! The Culinary Demonstration and Galley Tour was fun.

Our kids went to several other things like the Ice Carving, MUTS, Yoga, Skywalkers for dancing.

Entertainment:

The comedian, Carlos Oscar, is hilarious. We went to both of his shows. Probably the best comedian I have heard on a cruise!

Illusionist show was good.

British Invasion – the first 15 minutes was entertaining, after that it went down hill.

Motor City was good, we have seen it several times.

Park Rangers Glacier Bay Talks: very interesting through out the cruise.

Lotus Spa: Our kids surprised us with a gift for a Couples Massage. I usually love getting a massage on a cruise, but I had the worst massage ever. My husband said his was just okay. I should have spoken up, but since our kids made all the arrangements, I didn’t want to make a big fuss over it. It was very expensive and such a nice gesture, and I didn’t want to disappoint them.

PORTS and excursions:

Juneau – the kids did the Princess sponsored Helicopter Glacier Trek and loved it.

DH and I did the Whale Watching with a private tour, Harv & Marv. It was the highlight of our cruise, as we saw orcas and humpbacks. There were so many humpbacks and they were bubble-net feeding. It was thrilling! I captured it on video and got lots of candid shots. On the way back to the ship, our driver stopped at Mendenhall and we saw the amazing glacier and bears! Two cubs up in a tree and mama bear down below.

Harv and Marv website: http://www.harvandmarvs.com/alaskawhalewatching.html

Humpbacks bubble net feeding

7774398674_dd195c3fd4_b.jpg

IMG_0626 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

They were so close! The fluke is beautiful!

7774393896_1c0151eae6_b.jpg

IMG_0613 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

Orcas - Killer Whales

7778538882_aac4cc7884_b.jpg

IMG_0575 by BobalinkToo, on Flickr

More ports and photos coming...

Thank you so much for your beautiful pictures! I am so jealous--our whale watching in Juneau was cancelled. Guess that means I have to go again. ;)

Oh, that is a bummer that your whale watching tour was cancelled.

Yes, you will have to go again!

I think it is just "luck" when it comes to sighting wildlife. We saw so much more this time than we did four years ago.

Archived