When to change tips os S&S?

dvdkndy

Anyone else notice this "gentleman" is doing B2Bs? :eek:

King Midas: AT LEAST leave the $2/day on there for those who clean your dishes, prep your food and everything else your wife won't have to do for you on your TWO cruises.

And when you give the cash to your steward and waiter, make sure you record it on video so you can re-live the "Thanks, Boss" over and over and over.

BTW, if you are taking the little ones, don't forget to extend something to those at Camp Carnival.

Maybe next time do 1 cruise and pay your fair share instead of stiffing 2 sets of crew members.

Tipping is a personal thing and should be kept between the tipper and the tippee. Uh, unless you're tipsy...

Asking for an honest answer here about tipping is like asking a fish about riding a bicycle...

If it was personal the cruiseline would not give "guidelines" for all the cheap people to try to get around

I am a firm believer of tipping those who help you directly. I would rather give my server and my room steward cash for everyday things like cleaning the room and serving dinner. I do not feel obligated to tip others that I never see and would rather tip my face to face people more than what they get through my auto tips. I know some of you may do it differently and I respect that. However, this is my choice and I ask you to respect it as well. Having said that, when is the best time to get the auto tips removed from your account? Embarkation day or wait until the last night?

They usually want you to take them off the first night when on an 7 day or more cruise. On the short cruises they allow you to do it the night before the last night. Don't allow anyone here to make you feel bad for wanting to tip on your own. I wish someone would tip my ass

If it was personal the cruiseline would not give "guidelines" for all the cheap people to try to get around

Yeah, like the IRS guidelines...

TIPS are personal and are at the sole discretion of the customer. Salary is not.

Because OP is a "man of the cloth" I will just say this:

"If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." Deuteronomy 15:7

I am curious and maybe someone can explain. There use to be envelopes in your room to tip the steward, waiter, maitre D, etc, etc, but I never saw an envelope for tipping the bus boy, the buffet food putter outer, etc etc.

Now, everyone says these auto tips are spread out amongst everyone, so does that mean in the days of no envelope for these "other" folks, that these other folks made thier living per an hourly wage? If these other folks made their living per an hourly wage, does that mean Carnival has reduced that wage because tips are being destributed to them too now? If Carnival has not reduced their hourly wage and tips are now being destributed to these other folks, I wonder how much more they are making a year now than they were in the days of envelopes?

I do not care either way because I just done some serious math comparing a Myrtle Beach trip to a Carnival cruise (more on that later) but I am curious about this.

I was wondering the same thing... as far as envelopes, were their only 3?

I personally don't care to tip the salaried workers... when you go to a restaurant, do you tip the manager? Do you tip the cooks? Do you tip the busboy? No. I believe it was said that the rise in the tips covers guest services (salaried) and others in entertainment (salaried). I prefer to tip those that are not salary. Also, if you tip your waiters, the people working in the buffet area, and serving your drinks, are the same people, so they are getting their tips.

To the op, I would remove them the first day if possible. BUT then I would tip the cabin steward on day one also, just so he knows he is not being left out. I would also tip the waiter in the MDR on day one. Then if at the end, you would like to reward exceptional service... ask for more envelopes!

I really don't know why there are people here that insist on jumping on every tip thread to tell people how cheap someone is or How they don't respect you. Tipping IS personal choice. It is not mandatory. It is for a service that you receive, and a form of gratitude for a job well done. Do what you choose and don't listen to those negative responses....

"If there is a poor man among your brothers in any of the towns of the land that the LORD your God is giving you, do not be hardhearted or tightfisted toward your poor brother." Deuteronomy 15:7

Seriously? Are you really trying to influence these people by throwing religion at them?? :rolleyes:

But the Bilbe also says, "David rode out of town in a Fury" and, as we all know, Plymouth wasn't invented until some years later.

Tipping IS personal choice.

He was the once who came here and made it public announcing he is pulling his tips and looking for advice. We gave it. :)

Are you really trying to influence these people by throwing religion at them

Ummm.. the OP is the "holy man".. just dispensing it back to him in a language that (hopefully) will resonate. ;)

Anyone else notice this "gentleman" is doing B2Bs? :eek:

King Midas: AT LEAST leave the $2/day on there for those who clean your dishes, prep your food and everything else your wife won't have to do for you on your TWO cruises.

And when you give the cash to your steward and waiter, make sure you record it on video so you can re-live the "Thanks, Boss" over and over and over.

BTW, if you are taking the little ones, don't forget to extend something to those at Camp Carnival.

Maybe next time do 1 cruise and pay your fair share instead of stiffing 2 sets of crew members.

Its a funny thing those who are the cheapest expect the most.They like to hand deliver that $20 for the week of great service they had and then expect more butt kissing when the cabin steward gets a partial paycheck because they tip as they see "fit"

Its a funny thing those who are the cheapest expect the most.They like to hand deliver that $20 for the week of great service they had and then expect more butt kissing when the cabin steward gets a partial paycheck because they tip as they see "fit"

You got all of that from just his post in this thread?

YOU are GOOD!

I am VERY GOOD.20 years bartending and have seen and heard it all.Im going to write a book :)

LOL! You and a good friend who's a "Attitude Engineer" at the Hedley Club in San Jose!

The stories he tells...

He got me a deal on a room the night Katy Perry was staying there.

She didn't call. Must have been a front desk error...

Just be aware that your wait staff in the Main Dining Room is now a 3 man team..... not sure how much the waiter gets over the 2 assistants.

You also have a 3 man team in the cabins as well....the cabin steward has one assistant for the morning and another assistant at night.

Again, not sure what the proper percentage is for the cabin steward as opposed to their 2 assistants.

Personally, all that seems like a lot of trouble .... which is why I did lobby for the automatic tips to go on the Sail and Sign card.

Secondly (not saying you do) sadly seeing a man one time really make a cabin steward almost "beg" for the tip just turned my stomach.

I certainly hope people who pay cash remember that you are just paying them their salary for a job they have already done....you are not doing them some kind of favor for which they are indebted to you for.

Yep, that about sums it up.

Archived