Should I take Carnival?

MikeDMess

I was on the Ecstacy in 1995 on a 3 day and was not happy with the overall experience. However, in the last few years many people i know went on Carnival and loved it. How is the food, and the passenger mix. When I went on in 1995 there were very loud obnoxious college age passengers. I am in my 30's and would like to take a fun cruies with good food and good passenger mix.

Well my motto is think positive thoughts and it will be a GREAT cruise, but if u think neg about everythign that happens or doestn happen then it will be a bad trip. I had the best cruise last year on carnival which is why we are goign back this January. Things have become more advanced since 1995 too so i say try it again and just go to have fun and kick back and let loose. I'm a college age student myself at 19 yrs old, so that might not help ur situation but if u try to avoid the college group dont go when it's near spring break season or x-mas break! or try a more formal ship like princess and norweigian i have never been on these ships but i heard they r more strict than carnival. I happen to like the "fun ships" so i'm gonna stick to them and i think u should give carnvial another chance to redeem itself u'd be surprised at how well they make ppl enjoy themselves. They arnt called the fun ship for nothing. Like i said just think positive thoughts and dont base ur vacation on things that happened or things that didnt happen that u woulda liked. Just go havea great time and make the best out of it. Soak up the sun and party hardy! Safe Sailing!

The short cruises tend to have more of a party atmosphere. How long do you plan to go for this time. If it's a week, I think it would be just fine. Carnival is not the party cruise line of the past. It's still fun tho.

I agree with the above comments. A lot depends on the length of the cruise and the time of year one sails. The shorter cruises tends to be more of a party type atmosphere. Also cruising during spring break and summer months tends to bring out the younger college age crowds.

Would just like to add, all college aged passengers aren't loud and obnoxious, lol. Don't be afraid to travel during summer months just because their may be young adults on board. I've heard that Carnival has a pretty decent mix. I'm a senior in college myself (LSAT's next month :eek: ) and I know how to have a pretty good time myself, but loud and obnoxious I am not :cool: , heck I hardly drink, I'm naturally fun :p Give Carnival another try, I'm sure you will appreciate the mix and probably have a really good time. Maybe we will end up on the same ship. Happy cruising!!!! :D

Mike, give Carnival another shot - but NOT during spring break.

Most of my cruises are around the first week in September. I plan that way because I'm pretty much assured there will be very few kids (of any age) on board. Schools have just started at that time, and not too many people take their kids out of school that early in the school term. I think I saw maybe a dozen kids on my last cruise. Nice.:)

Also - I now take the five-night cruises that leave on a Monday and return on Saturday. The ones that leave on Thursday, I've noticed more kids because it involves a weekend. As you can see, I give this a lot of thought.:D (I like kids, but not while I'm trying to relax on a cruise.)

Plan your cruise date carefully. Travel when school is in, less kids onboard. Adjust your times you go to the lido deck and avoid the crowds. Don't eat breakfast on the lido deck. Cardboard eggs, possibly cold. Use the dining room. Expect things to not always go the way you want them to, Carnival will not be a perfect experience. Don't expect the employees to work miracles much less basic common service if something happens. They are just lower rung employees. If something does happen, get past it, don't let it ruin the whole vacation. You are just one of thousands, they've got you on the ship and got your money, thats what matters to the Carnival bosses.

Jim

Plan your cruise date carefully. Travel when school is in, less kids onboard. Adjust your times you go to the lido deck and avoid the crowds. Don't eat breakfast on the lido deck. Cardboard eggs, possibly cold. Use the dining room. Expect things to not always go the way you want them to, Carnival will not be a perfect experience. Don't expect the employees to work miracles much less basic common service if something happens. They are just lower rung employees. If something does happen, get past it, don't let it ruin the whole vacation. You are just one of thousands, they've got you on the ship and got your money, thats what matters to the Carnival bosses.

Jim

wow....and I will limit my comments to that....:rolleyes:

QUOTE=jima53] Don't eat breakfast on the lido deck. Cardboard eggs, possibly cold. Use the dining room.

That's the only thing I agree with in your post, Jim. I think the dining room offers a much better breakfast (and lunch and dinner) selection, fresh from the stove, not sitting in warming pans.

You are just one of thousands, they've got you on the ship and got your money, thats what matters to the Carnival bosses.

Jim[/quote

Obviously, you've had a bad cruise, and you've let it sour your attitude. Sorry.:o I think the Carnival 'bosses' do everything they can to make passengers happy - otherwise, there'd be no repeat business, and no 'word-of-mouth' from satisfied cruisers.

QUOTE=jima53] Don't eat breakfast on the lido deck. Cardboard eggs, possibly cold. Use the dining room.

That's the only thing I agree with in your post, Jim. I think the dining room offers a much better breakfast (and lunch and dinner) selection, fresh from the stove, not sitting in warming pans.

You are just one of thousands, they've got you on the ship and got your money, thats what matters to the Carnival bosses.

Jim[/quote

Obviously, you've had a bad cruise, and you've let it sour your attitude. Sorry.:o I think the Carnival 'bosses' do everything they can to make passengers happy - otherwise, there'd be no repeat business, and no 'word-of-mouth' from satisfied cruisers.

I agree with the above.

I can say that I have also some had some very enjoyable breakfasts at the buffet. I often miss the dining room breakfast based on my preferred eating times. I always get my eggs at the omelette station so that they are freshly prepared for me.

I went on my first cruise a couple of years ago. I am also in my 30's. I am a single mom and have cruised both with my kids and solo. I have always had a wonderful time on Carnival! I have found the food to be very good. Have met people of all ages and from all over the world. I have enjoyed some very fun "party" times and also enjoyed a lot of quiet and relaxing times on the ships. What I personally love about Carnival is that if I want to be out and about and have fun, it is there for me to do yet if quiet downtime is what I'm wanting at the moment I can easily find that as well.

Time of year and ship can certainly make a huge difference as to whom your fellow PAX are. I travel during spring break on week long cruises when I am with my kids. Obviously it is nice for me to see lots of other kids because then mine have plenty of new friends to hang out and do things with which means that they have a better time AND I get some nice solo adult time as well. I have always managed to meet other adults who were either traveling with kids or without.

When I travel solo I prefer to find a time when there is likely to be less children. It does not always work out that way (I HAVE to travel when I can get the childcare!!) and I have had a good time regardless.

How long a cruise are you looking at? Are you considering other lines? I'm just wondering why you wouldn't try another cruiseline if you tried Carnival and didn't like it.

Personally, considering the negatives you found on Carnival, I'd go with another line. Some of those stereotypes still linger on Carnival. It definitely had the loudest, party type atmosphere of any ship I've been on, and I've been on 5 different lines. My Carnival cruise was on the Glory, which is a new ship, and it was a 7 day cruise. The atmosphere was very loud and crowded, so if that bothers you, look elsewhere, unless for some reason you have to stick with Carnival?

I was on the Ecstacy in 1995 on a 3 day and was not happy with the overall experience. However, in the last few years many people i know went on Carnival and loved it. How is the food, and the passenger mix. When I went on in 1995 there were very loud obnoxious college age passengers. I am in my 30's and would like to take a fun cruies with good food and good passenger mix.

My wife and I went on the Ecstacy in the late 90's on the 3 day and I now what you mean by a party crowd. We dont party that way but still had a good time. Since then we have taken other cruises with Carnival but were longer cruises and didnt notice as much as the party crowd. We took the kids on one a few years back and they had so much fun we are going again in a few months. Go for the longer cruise and if you dont want a lot of kids go in the fall. Give it another try.

Jim

Jim,

If you end up on Carnival again, and want to do breakfast on the Lido, may I suggest that you have an omlette made to order. It won't be cardboard and it most definitely won't be cold. As for your other comments, they apply to all cruise lines.

It depends on what your going for...If you go only for the food and dining I suggest you pick another cruiseline.

If you want nice, friendly, party going people, and could care less about the food experience then, go with Carnival. The ships are beautifully maintained, the crew is awesome, and aside from the food and debark fiasco they put you through, our cruise was great~

It depends on what your going for...If you go only for the food and dining I suggest you pick another cruiseline.

If you want nice, friendly, party going people, and could care less about the food experience then, go with Carnival. The ships are beautifully maintained, the crew is awesome, and aside from the food and debark fiasco they put you through, our cruise was great~

I'm still trying to figure out if this is a recommendation or a warning....sounds like a warning to me..

Well I have to disagree with two things said by jima53. Of course everyone is entitled to their opinions and we all come with different expectations but I've never found fault with Lido Deck breakfasts. The breakfast buffets are refreshed often enough that I've always gotten hot food. I've found all the food to be quite good as a matter of fact. "Good food" is a subjective statement but having spent 13 years in the food business I know quality. Given the number of meals they serve in the time they do it for the price they are charging it is very well done.

I also don't think the staff of Carnival cruise lines has a "We've got your money now and really don't care" attitude. I think they count on repeat business and word of mouth advertising. Forums such as this one could become their worst nightmare if they truly didn't care about passenger satisfaction.

For the price you are paying I do not think there is a better value out there in cruising.

Archived