Scuba Excursions in Hawaii

DaleJRFan

We are sailing on Wind on 6/01/05 and my brother wants to do a couple of dives while we are in Hawaii. He is looking at the dive in Kona and it says that part of the gear is provided and the tanks and BCD can be rented from the operator. Does he need to bring his own fins and mask or are they also available on the tour. Any information would be appreciated.

Thanks

I'll also be diving in Hawaii, pre-cruise and in Kona.

All the dive shops will rent full equipment. Most provide training and rental for new divers who don't have any equipment.

In Kona, the challenge is the time at port is 8am-5pm, but the ship tenders so it'll take longer to get to pier. If not booking through NCL, then will need to make sure there is enough time to get to the shop (or if the shop will pickup from pier).

Big Island Divers on Kona will pick you up at the tender site, and make sure you get back in time for the cruise. Just went with them in April (off the Island Princess) and they were wonderful.:cool:

I did a discovery dive with Big Island Divers (along with sunshine426) and it was incredible. The folks from Big Island Divers took care of us, like we were their only customers that day....of course there were others, but we sure felt "cared" for. Our DSD encompassed lesson in the shop, then in the water. We had a morning and afternoon dive, to 40 ft; they provided towels; sandwiches, soda and such. After fitting our group for equipment in the shop, they took care of loading it all on the dive boat; assisted us into our gear; helped us with underwater cameras, etc. Highly recommend them. (Note: I did a DSD in Cozumel 2 years ago, which at the time I thought was awesome -- With Big Island Divers, it was such a better quality instruction, and much more attentive to the novice.

Good luck and enjoy:) Would go with them again!!

Archived