Can I make this flight out of LAX????

Guest caribcruzin

Guest caribcruzin

Could someone tell me what time we can expect to get into LAX from Papeete? We booked our own air to LAX and are using Princess air from LAX to Papeete. We are flying into LAX the day prior but have used FF miles and will be flying straight through on the same day coming back. We don't know yet what flight we will be on leaving Papeete, but assuming we might be on the last one, when could I safely make a flight out of LAX. The reason I ask, is because we were booked on a 5pm flight out of LAX and that flight was changed by the airlines(Northwest) and they now have us leaving LAX at 12:35pm? I see that the ATN flights leaving Papeete on a Thursday get into LAX at 9:10am and 10:25am. Assuming we might be on the 10:25 arrival.....can we make a 12:35pm flight out of LAX to DTW? Thanks for your help.

ATN comes in the International Terminal and you must go thru customs...then wait for your bags and they may be searched. LAX is very serious about this. It's pretty organized but the line could be long if another flight or two come in at the same time. If your connecting flight is at the other end of the airport you might have a problem. What airline are you connecting to? You'd be fine with the early one but the later might be quite tight.

Kathy

Guest caribcruzin

Thanks for your reply. We are connecting to Northwest. We have never been to LAX so have no idea as to the distance from one area to the other. Judy

I would suggest you leave yourself plenty of time. When we flew into LAX from Papeete, we discovered that they had cancelled our reservation on our connecting flight. We flew Air New Zealand, the flight had been changed and the time in between the landing in LAX and our connecting flight on United was 1:55. Supposedly, air regulations require a 2 hour window. So they took the liberty of cancelling our connecting flight tickets and moving us to the next flight.

We thought we could make it. But we were required to re-check our bags in and go through security again. We barely made it, and we were running through the terminal.

Now of course, hopefully your flight plans won't get all screwed up by changes, but one thing I did learn is that security at LAX is ridiculously slow and inefficient.

:eek: Judy.. are flights out of FP always on time? Also in what terminal and what gate will you land? with smaller air lines they just get the left overs...

We were on Air Jamaica in April and had to be bussed to another terminal for customs after landing, it was easy but did add another 10-15minutes...so this can take time.....larger air lines get choice terminal spots. Customs can be fast if you tell the person directing people that you have a "plane to catch"....We are going on your same TP cruise...... answered your roll call a few days ago....I live in Orange County about an hour south of LA ....looking forward to our cruise.

Judy...

Northwest is located in Terminal 2...after you go thru the procedure of customs in the International Terminal you need to go outside and either catch the shuttle bus or walk to Terminal 2...I think either would take the same amount of time...depends on how much energy you have or if you've got all you luggage. The shuttle circles around the airport in a counter-clockwise direction loading & unloading at each Terminal...not a speedy process...I'd walk it after the hours in the plane from PPT. Yes, security can be slow in the domestic terminals but customs in the International Terminal upon arrival is quite efficient...but if your bags are not forwarded to Northwest from ATN the wait for them at baggage claim can take a while and they do pull a few aside to search.

I would not be comfortable with anything less than 3 hours...LAX is very busy and it's not uncommon to wait on the tarmack for a gate.

Here's a link for a map of LAX...

http://www.lawa.org/lax/laxframe.html

Guest caribcruzin

Thanks for all the helpful information.....and ocean.queen thanks for the map link....very helpful.

Our luggage would not be forwarded by ATN because we did Princess Air from LAX to FP. We used frequent flyer miles to get from home to LAX so those arrangements were done on our own. After speaking with the people at NOrthwest and explaining the problem, we were able to switch to a later flight at no cost to us. Now we will be leaving LAX at 2:25pm. It will involve a connection but I think it is worth it since I will not be able to relax.

Thanks again to all

Archived