Transatlantic Cruising - Questions

Hi - Have cruised two times so far on RCI and have an upcoming one 1/14/06 on JOS. All to the Caribbean.

For those that have been on transatlantic cruises, have some questions (some may be "dumb" so bear with me):

1. Are there more onboard activities planned given that there are numerous continuous sea days?

2. Are the pools and hot tubs open while crossing? (perhaps it depends on weather?)

3. What is the weather like? Are there better months for weather? (I understand that the crossings occur only a few times a year so choices are limited).

4. Do they offer special prices on spa treatments?

5. Are there any positive or negative experiences you can share?

Considering one of these cruises sometime in the future. Just need to gather more information.

Hi - Have cruised two times so far on RCI and have an upcoming one 1/14/06 on JOS. All to the Caribbean.

For those that have been on transatlantic cruises, have some questions (some may be "dumb" so bear with me):

1. Are there more onboard activities planned given that there are numerous continuous sea days?

To me it was like other Sea days, there are usually more activities on sea days than on port days. During the crossing they also had the acadamy at sea you could sign up for.

2. Are the pools and hot tubs open while crossing? (perhaps it depends on weather?)

Of course they are open. But it´s not like cruising in the Caribbean and it might be not pool weather. But then you still have the Solarium pool.

3. What is the weather like? Are there better months for weather? (I understand that the crossings occur only a few times a year so choices are limited).

Always hard to say what weather will be like. Transatlantics are usually only in Spring and fall. The weather can vary. My experiences:

1.Crossing: Northern Route (around Iceland) in Fall

Worst weather, gail winds, Very very High Seas !!! Outside decks have been closed for sdecurity reasons, Elevators shut down for security reasons, with only one or two operationg for handicapped persons. Limited activities and shows because of ship movement.

2. Crossing: Southern Route (Azores) in Fall

Beautiful weather, warm and sunny, flat sea with absolutely no waves.

3. Crossing: Southern Route (Azores) in Fall

Mixed weather, mostly calm seas, sometimes warm and sunny, sometimes cool and foggy, little waves and little rocking sometimes.

4. Do they offer special prices on spa treatments?

Can´t remmeber but most of the times the spa is busy on sea days and runs specials on port days.

5. Are there any positive or negative experiences you can share?

I like the great relaxing seadays. Would do it again everytime. Like to have only one leg to fly across the Atlantic.

Archived