Disembarkation in New York

pinwillow

I am cruising to New York and have an early connection to make. I would like to self disembark to catch this. Can anybody recall the time when we are permitted to get off in advance of passengers collecting baggage.

Thank you. David

I am cruising to New York and have an early connection to make. I would like to self disembark to catch this. Can anybody recall the time when we are permitted to get off in advance of passengers collecting baggage.

Thank you. David

6.30 to 7am assuming the ship arrives early/on time, perhaps 7.30 at the latest.

From experience, it tends to be fairly soon after docking. Similar to port days when they have formalities to complete first before letting anyone off. I'd say 7/7.30 would be realistic.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

• 2 weeks later...
Hi I was wondering this also. If I want to arrange a pier pick up at 9am what time should I disembark the ship at in New York. Are there often queues when you enter the Terminal for custom formalities etc.. ?

There will always be a queue for Immigration, I would suggest that you need to be off the ship by just after 8am if you can arrange that. Disembarkation is done by deck but you may be able to request an earlier one if your scheduled departure is too late. Failing that, if you can manage your own baggage you could do self disembarkation at 8am which is later than most but not unknown.

I understand there is also "self help" disembarkation in New York whereby you are able to keep your luggage in your cabin and, as long as you are able to carry it all off the ship without assistance, disembark on your own.

Apparently one obtains "self help" disembarkation tags from the purser's office for this.

Do they assign a time for you to disembark using this procedure, or can you have a leisurely breakfast in Britannia and disembark the ship a little later -- say around 9:00 or 9:30. I am assuming there are lots of taxis / private cars offering transportation to the various New York airports as well once leaving the ship?

Thanks for any information you can provide.

Apparently one obtains "self help" disembarkation tags from the purser's office for this.

We have done this method four times when leaving QM2 in New York. A day or two prior to arrival in NY there will be an announcement in the Daily Programme about this "self disembarkation" procedure. We have always had to inform the nice folks at the tour office, not the purser's desk, but this may have changed.

Do they assign a time for you to disembark using this procedure, or can you have a leisurely breakfast in Britannia and disembark the ship a little later -- say around 9:00 or 9:30. I am assuming there are lots of taxis / private cars offering transportation to the various New York airports as well once leaving the ship?

Breakfast will be served earlier than usual. In the Britannia I think it began at 6:00 AM with a slightly limited menu. I think it begins being served at 5:00 AM in Kings Court.

The night before arrival in NY we tell our cabin steward of our plans and so that he/she knows we will be leaving the ship even though our luggage is still in the cabin while we are at breakfast. We have always eaten breakfast in the Britannia Restaurant. We don't rush but we don't dawdle.

Self help passengers are permitted to disembark after the ship clears arrival formalities, for us this has been as early as 7:15 to about 8:00. We have always been within the first 100 passengers or so off the ship. We haven't had much of a wait at customs but, despite what one may think, even at that early hour, taxis may be scarce though there is usually a constant trickle in of them.

Please note that lifts are usually heavily congested during this time and unless you are on one of the upper decks it may be prudent to get on an empty lift going up than try to squeeze in a full one coming down.

There will always be a queue for Immigration, I would suggest that you need to be off the ship by just after 8am if you can arrange that. Disembarkation is done by deck but you may be able to request an earlier one if your scheduled departure is too late. Failing that, if you can manage your own baggage you could do self disembarkation at 8am which is later than most but not unknown.

Many thanks . I think I will do what you say and get off at 8am. I normally take my own cases off with other lines but this is my first Cunard voyage. I wanted to pre book a private car to meet us at 9am.

PARTIAL QUOTE

... get off at 8am. I normally take my own cases off with other lines but this is my first Cunard voyage. I wanted to pre book a private car to meet us at 9am.

Just to mention that once you disemark the ship in Red Hook, you will be directed to depart the terminal post haste. You may wait in the "pick up area" outside. If you have a cell phone, you could better arrange your meeting time with your driver.

If I remember it well, the self-disembarkers have always been the first ones to leave the ship, but you will receive precise information a couple of days before docking. Additional questions may always be addressed to the purser's desk on deck 2.

:)

Hi Capn,

Is that if you choose to Self Disembark? Or is that the latest "per deck" time?

Thank You,

T5

That is when the last call message is made to disembark regardless of whether you are self disembarking or not. Also regardless of whether you are in transit or not.

That is when the last call message is made to disembark regardless of whether you are self disembarking or not. Also regardless of whether you are in transit or not.

Lovely... Thanks for the info.

So, if I may clarify as I am a little uncertain. With Self Disembarkation, you can elect to leave at the crack of sparrows when the whole affair starts, or, you can choose to disembark at any time between then, and the final call to leave the ship? And, when you wish to leave, you just make your way to the lobby area and "slot in" with the people leaving "by deck number" at the time?

Sorry to revert to simple stuff, but I just wish to clarify.

Warm Regards,

T5

Lovely... Thanks for the info.

So, if I may clarify as I am a little uncertain. With Self Disembarkation, you can elect to leave at the crack of sparrows when the whole affair starts, or, you can choose to disembark at any time between then, and the final call to leave the ship? And, when you wish to leave, you just make your way to the lobby area and "slot in" with the people leaving "by deck number" at the time?

Sorry to revert to simple stuff, but I just wish to clarify.

Warm Regards,

T5

Yes, I think that they like self disembarkers off early but what are going to do or say.

Yes, I think that they like self disembarkers off early but what are going to do or say.

Thanks capn, that is what i was hoping. I know I have to be out of my cabin by 08:30 or 09:30, and that would be the perfect time for me to self disembark, I don't want to be getting off at 07:30 or earlier. If I can find a seat in Kings Court with my bags, maybe have a cuppa before getting off too...

A cupola....you'll be lucky! No sign of refreshments before we left QV in August.

What?!?!?!??!?!??! Not even a cup of tea?????? :eek:

I will be parched by the time I get to the hotel... ;) :D

Once we were hearded into the pub to wait for our time there was not a thing (for those of us that are not lucky enough to be in the grills.) We had to stop on our way home for a coffee as we were parched!

Archived