Bordeaux Wine Tours

halifaxcruising

Does anyone have any recommendations to which company to use for wine tours in Bordeaux. We are sailing on the Celebrity Constellation in November and are really only interested in wine tours/tastings.

Also, do some of the tour companies pick you up at the ship?

Thank you.

Does anyone have any recommendations to which company to use for wine tours in Bordeaux. We are sailing on the Celebrity Constellation in November and are really only interested in wine tours/tastings.

Also, do some of the tour companies pick you up at the ship?

Thank you.

We're sailing on the Nov. 6, 2012 Celebrity Constellation wine immersive tour. I have booked an excursion for 16 for our group for Bordeaux & Medoc. This company will pick up & deliver back to the ship. Contact me at jimcline4 at yahoo dot com.

I will pass along the name of the company, etc.

Jim Cline

• 2 weeks later...

Through our CruiseCritic roll-call, six of us hired published wine expert, Dewey Markham (a "transplanted" New Yorker) for a private 2-day 6 chateau tour of wineries near Bordeaux. (June 2012) He picked us up at the pier in Bordeaux. Some guides like to prove to you how smart they are. They're "talking to themselves," not their audience.

Not Dewey! He wants you to come away from your experience with an appreciation and knowledge of Bordeaux wines and how they're rated. He's totally accessible - full of facts and and anecdotes - happy for interruptions that focus the conversation on what his guests want to know. He customizes his tour based on the knowledge level and areas of interest of his guests. Ever get a "course hand-out" from a tour guide? We did -- chock full of information on the wines of the region, their grading, and specifics on the wineries we were visiting.

All I can say is -- we've traveled a lot, and had lots of guides. Dewey was the best by a mile. Dewey Markham (http://www.dmjwineworks.com (http://www.dmjwineworks.com/)

• 3 weeks later...

We just got back from a cruise that stopped in Le Verdon. I arranged for a private tour for six with Bordeaux Wine Travel, owned by Henri Challau. We had a fantastic day, visiting three chateaux in the Medoc and having lunch at a fantastic restaurant (Le Savoie) in Margaux. Henri picked us up at the ship. He was a font of information, having worked as a sommelier and growing up with a family that owned a vineyard. The total for six people for this eight-hour experience was €680, plus the cost of our tours and the lunch.

http://www.bordeaux-wine-travel.com

We just got back from a cruise that stopped in Le Verdon. I arranged for a private tour for six with Bordeaux Wine Travel, owned by Henri Challau. We had a fantastic day, visiting three chateaux in the Medoc and having lunch at a fantastic restaurant (Le Savoie) in Margaux. Henri picked us up at the ship. He was a font of information, having worked as a sommelier and growing up with a family that owned a vineyard. The total for six people for this eight-hour experience was €680, plus the cost of our tours and the lunch.

http://www.bordeaux-wine-travel.com

I can vouch for Rubysue's review. My husband and I did the tour with her and had a fantastic day. Henri was a delightful guide and I enjoyed every minute of the tour. I would highly recommend him.

• 2 weeks later...

We were on the Sept 19 wine cruise and were lucky enough to hire Frederic Borliachon of Rendezvous au Chateau for both of our days in the Bordeaux area. He is knowledgeable and passionate about wine as well as being funny and personable. While driving through the Medoc area, we stopped and went into the fields to talk to the workers picking grapes. Highly recommended. His email address is rendezvousauchateau.com

• 2 weeks later...
We were on the Sept 19 wine cruise and were lucky enough to hire Frederic Borliachon of Rendezvous au Chateau for both of our days in the Bordeaux area. He is knowledgeable and passionate about wine as well as being funny and personable. While driving through the Medoc area, we stopped and went into the fields to talk to the workers picking grapes. Highly recommended. His email address is rendezvousauchateau.com

We just returned from the Oct 13th wine cruise. We used Frederic on day 2 of our time in Le Verdon. We can highly recommend him. Our group of 6 opted for his tour that included visiting an oyster farm, complete with tasting (only 2 of 6 of us actually ate the little things!). He is very knowledgeable about wine and the area.

You absolutely must find a tour guide that will pick you up at the Le Verdon port. There is NOTHING -- no cabs, no phones, nothing -- at this port. Celebrity provided a bus into Soulac Sur Mer (@ $8.00 pp). Be aware that the summer "shore season" is well passed and most shops and some restaurants have already closed.

Our first day 6 of us toured with Ophorus: http://www.ophorus.com/private_tours.html

Scroll down on the web page to find the tours offered from Le Verdon. Our guide was Alain and we would recommend him. Contact Christophe: chris@ophorus.com for more information.

Hope this helps.

tt :)

• 2 weeks later...

We were on Constellation Oct. 25 cruise and toured with Ophorus: http://www.ophorus.com/private_tours.html. Scroll down on the web page to find the tours offered from Le Verdon. Our guide was Alain and he did a great job. (Unfortunately, I came down with NorvoVirus while on the tour but in spite of this I would recommend this company. I hope Alain didn't get the virus from me!)

Kathy

Archived