Thinking of jumping ship. What is different?

misstopgun

We consider ourselves to be seasoned cruisers, on Carnival that is, with 21 cruises and the 22nd coming up in October. We have also sailed Princess once as well as Royal Carribean. We have never sailed on Norwegian.

We were looking for a cruise that goes to Costa Maya and the only Carnival ship that goes there is the Dream. We have sailed her twice and don't really want to again. We found a cruise of equal or lesser value on the Norwegian Star in February that goes out of New Orleans. That would be even additional savings for us because we fly fron AZ.

Who has sailed both lines and can you tell me the differences?

How formal or casual are the dining rooms and is specialty dining more formal?

Are refrigerators and hair dryers included in the rooms? (balcony or better)?

How do the cabin sizes compare to Carnival cabins say regular balcony vs regular balcony and are the bathrooms smaller, larger, or the same?

Do they have policies allowing you to bring wine aboard? Can you order wine or liquor from the ship for your stateroom?

I have to admit we are a little excited about possibly spreading our wings and we like visiting New Orleans for their delicious food.

Any thoughts or information you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

no fomal nights just dress up or not.. you can wear shorts in one mdr and specialty resturants besides le bistros.. wine carries a fee if brought on board

had a fridge and hair dryer on the ships ive been on

We consider ourselves to be seasoned cruisers, on Carnival that is, with 21 cruises and the 22nd coming up in October. We have also sailed Princess once as well as Royal Carribean. We have never sailed on Norwegian.

We were looking for a cruise that goes to Costa Maya and the only Carnival ship that goes there is the Dream. We have sailed her twice and don't really want to again. We found a cruise of equal or lesser value on the Norwegian Star in February that goes out of New Orleans. That would be even additional savings for us because we fly fron AZ.

Who has sailed both lines and can you tell me the differences? I have been on the Carnival Miracle and the NCL Star & NCL Gem...with upcoming cruises on the NCL Jewel & NCL Breakaway.

How formal or casual are the dining rooms and is specialty dining more formal? The Versailles MDR on the Star is a lovely MDR. They also have a second MDR (Aqua) and several other specialty venues (Cagney's, Le Bistro, Moderno, etc.) The freestyle dining is much more casual than other lines. Although, we dressed for dinner each night. NCL cruise attire runs from extremely casual to cocktail party dressy. Never saw a Tuxedo, but did see very few gowns. "Big Boy" pants must be worn in the MDR's after 5 pm, as well as no sandals and tank tops for men. The specialty dining rooms are slightly more dressy (but not required) as Le Bistro tends to be more formal.

Are refrigerators and hair dryers included in the rooms? (balcony or better)? Yes, there are refrigerators and hair dryers in Balcony and Suites, but I am sorry, I have never been in an inside or ocean view room, so not that sure...but I believe they are in all rooms.

How do the cabin sizes compare to Carnival cabins say regular balcony vs regular balcony and are the bathrooms smaller, larger, or the same? On the Miracle, we had an extended balcony room, on the Star we had a Balcony midship. Carnival cabins were much bigger than NCL. On the Gem, we had a suite and we were happy with the size. HOWEVER, The bathrooms on NCL are larger and better situated than on Carnival.

Do they have policies allowing you to bring wine aboard? Can you order wine or liquor from the ship for your stateroom? Yes, you may bring wine aboard, but there is a $15 corkage fee per bottle on NCL. You may also bring water or soda, no charge. They do have liquor that you can purchase for your cabin, but the prices are higher on NCL (we ordered a bar set up on both ships). You must order the bottles before your sail date thru the NCL website or by phone (similar to the Bon Voyage dept. on Carnival)

I have to admit we are a little excited about possibly spreading our wings and we like visiting New Orleans for their delicious food.

Any thoughts or information you can share will be greatly appreciated. Thanks so much!

We really enjoyed NCL's product. It keeps us coming back for more. The Star is a decent ship, although not as new as others in the fleet. But had some nice features. We enjoyed the Java Cafe in the Atrium for some coffee~drinks~entertainment. Coffee/tea/cakes were gratis there, only specialty coffees had an upcharge. Nice entertainment during different times of day there. Red Lion Pub was a fun, casual venue where you could sing karaoke and munch on popcorn, it also had live music different times of day. The show "Elements" was fantastic on that ship (they had an incredible magician and acrobats during our sailing) and it is followed up with "fountains" performed by your cruise staff...always a huge laugh. Take advantage of the MDR's for breakfast and lunch, and bypass the crazy buffet lines. We also loved visiting the different dinner venues, it was nicer than the same dining room each night. Although, I did miss the personalized service from having the same waitstaff each night (they don't have your drinks/favorites waiting at your table with freestyle cruising).

NCL also does an amazing M&G for their CC passengers. Senior staff including the captain have attended ours on both sailings so far. Nice touch...Also, there is a really nice hot tub outside on the front of deck 12 or 13 on the Star that was always empty (and it's a "no kids area")

If you have any specific questions or requests, please feel free to ask and I will try to help! Enjoy whichever cruise you choose!

~Michele:D

How do the cabin sizes compare to Carnival cabins say regular balcony vs regular balcony and are the bathrooms smaller, larger, or the same?

Do they have policies allowing you to bring wine aboard? Can you order wine or liquor from the ship for your stateroom?

Variety is the spice of life. Carnival cabins are among the largest in the industry and you will see a difference between Carnival and NCL in that regard. Not sure what type of cabin you are thinking about on the Star, bt the suite experience is not to be missed.

NCL allows you to bring unlimited amounts of wine on board provided you pay a $15 per 750-ml bottle corkage fee. This allows you to consume the wine anywhere on the ship whether it is in a bar, dining room, specialty restaurant OR you cabin/balcony. Corkage fee is a misnomer as it doesn't simply mean they are opening the bottle -- It is a courtesy that NCL is extending to you to offset the lack of revenue because you are bringing your own wine and not buying it off of the wine list.

New Orleans is a great city.

Refrigerators and hair dryers are provided in all staterooms.

There are two main dining rooms - one will be designated more casual and one will be more formal. That said, khakis and a golf shirt would suffice or capris for the ladies. Le Bistro is also designated for more formal dress so no shorts there unless you are 12 or under.

I do not have as many cruises as you do on Carnival, but I do have 15 cruises on Carnival one of them on the Dream in Fed. of 2010. I do cruise with Carnival usually 2 or 3 time a year.

I have also been on other Cruise Lines, 4 RCCL. 1 HAL, 1 Princess, they all have things about them that I enjoy.

I am currently booked on the Dawn for the 2/10/2013 sailing out of Tampa it goes to the same ports as the Star and was slightly less expensive than the Star.

The dining is freestyle so you can dress for dinner or go casual the choice is your's, the difference is that you do not have a preset dining time or table each evening, you make reservation as you would at a land based restaurant.

Someone else will have to get you this information on a balcony because I do not book this type of cabin, as far as as the better, the suites do have a refrigerator and a hair dryer.

According to the cabin info on both web sites you do get a slightly larger cabin on Carnival then NCL but not by much.

NCL charges a $15 fee for 750ml of wine but you may bring on as many as you wish, and you cannot bring any liquor same as Carnival, but you can pre-order and have it in your cabin when you arrive, the price is more than Carnival.

To me NCL has a different experience than Carnival due to the suite perks. As I mentioned I do cruise with the other lines when I look for that type of experience, but I think you will enjoy NCL for the dining and freestyle differences.

Thanks so much vols 159. I lived in TN for about three years. I had to learn the TN national anthem. "Rocky Top"

lol rocky top is played 24/7 here.. i hope you enjoyed your time here.. its the only place i will call home .. as you can see im taking a cruise to.costa maya myself.. but on the dawn from tampa i would consider leaving from new orlenas but not during madi gras or spring break

happy cruising!

Hi, misstopgun, glad to hear you're inquiring about NCL; so many of us love it.

I have not been on Carnival, but I've been on 4 NCL cruises, and have been on the Star once and will be on her again in January out of New Orleans.

I think most of your questions might have already been answered, but I just wanted to forewarn you about February in New Orleans. Be sure to pick your date carefully, as both Mardi Gras and the SuperBowl will be there during that month. I've heard that hotel rooms for the first couple weeks of February are just about non-existent, in case you need one.

Just wanted to be sure you were aware before making your booking.

Happy Cruising.:)

You will do fine fine on the NCL ship.

Leaving NOLA in February, you need to know about Mardis Gras and Super Bowl. Rooms in town can be a problem. What date are you looking at?

The is a big roll call for the trip over Valentine's day.

It is 100% factually true.

Carnival Cruise Line does, indeed, have Bacon Police.

Hey Don. My wife wondered why I took this picture, and why I laughed when I did it. I was thinking of you and your Epic review.

planma'am - On NCL you can help yourself to as much bacon and sausage as you want. On Carnival they have an attendant (Bacon Police) that gives you a couple of pieces at a time.

DSCN4761-vi.jpg

Wow, am I glad I popped into this thread! Love NCL and haven't really considered other lines, but being a new cruiser, this is pertinent information for the future!! Carnival and their bacon police are off my "possible" list forever! Don't come between me and my bacon!!

We will be doing our first NCL cruise on the Epic in March 2014 after 5 on CCL. We absolutly love CCL and have no complaints just wanted to try another line and the Epic looks to be a great ship.

We are doing the Epic in Nov 2013 and I agree with you hog88.. I love CCL but want to see what else is out there.. and I will go back to CCL in the future just might share them with NCL if all works out well..

Archived