Review - Elation 5/8/05

Luvmyfam3

Hi All!

We just got back from Elation yesterday...tired and happy! Just wanted to share a few thoughts as thanks to this wonderful board which helped me plan this trip!

Usual Suspects - Me (female, 37), friend (female, 37), ex-boyfriend (long story - don't ask!!, male, 28)

Embarkation - nothing too new and exciting. I thought it was kind of cute that there were a couple of men that were trying to entertain the passengers while we waited to board. We did get there early (we're from Houston). So, we were able to walk onboard, make cash deposits into our accounts and grab lunch and drinks with little or no wait. It was overcast that day, so we didn't have to go through the whole muster drill thing. It was the strangest muster drill I've ever been through. We just met in the mikado lounge, put on our vests, listened to them talk on the speaker, and that was it! No complaints!

The Ship - I've been on everything from brand-new ships to old ships. This one was somewhere in between. Being young (or we like to think so!), we enjoyed the glitzy, gaudiness of the ship. It kind of made us get more in the festive mood! I'm not sure my parents would enjoy it (they go more for the understated luxury decor), but we did. We were really impressed with the size of our cabins, especially since we were on the Main deck and inside. I would suggest getting a cabin towards the middle or front, though. One cabin was M251, and it was loud.

The ports - Awesome. I will put more at the actual destination boards, but we enjoyed each port in a different way. In Progresso, we mostly just hung around the beach and shops. In Cozumel, we went to Paradise Beach. In Belize, we did the Stingray/Shark Excursion with Coral Breeze. More on those at the other boards.

Alcohol - We each brought two bottles of wine and one bottle of liquor on board through our check-in. No problems! We took one bottle of wine each night. Our waiter, Garfield, charged us the corkage fee the first night, but didn't charge us the nights after that. We graciously thanked him monetarily at the end for that! I pretty much stuck to the drink of the day (the small) since they were so cheap and each one was great (try the Goombay Smash and BBC -- Great!!). My girlfriend drank wine and said it was good. My ex drank buckets of beer. Our total tab for the week was about $250 each. Not bad...

Activities - we mostly laid out everyday on the ship and enjoyed the festivities around the pool. At night we hit the clubs. I REALLY enjoyed both the Romeo & Juliet and Jekyll & Hyde. Each for different reasons! I'll probably get flamed for this comment, but what's up with the party for the staff in the Jekyll & Hyde on Thursday night!?!?! We really thought that if they needed to have this party and close the club to the public, they should do it when we're going into a port the next day.:mad: Oh, we didn't actually go to an art auction, but we did go by the gallery a couple of times. One host there spent a lot of time with us telling us the opening bids of some paintings and the history behind some artists. It was fascinating and informative!! (and free wine! woohoo!!:D )

Well, that's all I can think of! It was great and I would do it again in a heartbeat for the price!!

If anyone has any questions, just ask!!! Kim:D

Luvmyfam and Okiemom (I am a okie mom also!). So glad you posted, can't wait to read the others on ports. What did you think of Coral Breeze and who were you guides? We are booked with Coral Breeze also, we are going to Paradise Beach also, and planned on beach and shopping in Progresso...also!! Anyway, glad you had a great time....probly have questions later!

lilmsonry

You will love cruising. I don't travel any other way anymore. Biggest bang for the buck! December will be my fourth cruise and hubby's third and kids first. Eat as much as you want and ask for seconds, thirds or even fourths if you want! Don't be shy. Get involved in activities on board if you want fun or find a quite soft chair somewhere on the ship if you want to relax. If you have any questions let me know and I would be more than happy to answer them the best that I can.

Happy Sailing

:)

Luvmyfam3

What was going on in the Romeo & Juliet? Live music or what? Of course it may change before I get on board in July, but I can't help but wonder! personally I love that back door that connects the R&J with the J&H lounge. I can switch back and forth so easily.

Thanks

Ron

The Romeo and Juliet had a band there from the time we got out of late seating dining to about 11:00. The band was very good. They played mostly 70's and 80's and some country. We thought it was kind of funny to see an all Asian band play country music... and well!! The stories I could tell from some of the "shows" we got in that club! Funny!! You know, we never took the back door between the two. By the time the band left at 11:00 was when Jekyll & Hyde would just begin to crank up!

Have a blast! We did!!

Kim

What time did you get to the terminal for check in? Was this your first carnival cruise? If not, did you get an invite to the past quest party and receive a gold sail and sign card? How was Belize? Heard there was a little tension in that country? I'm an okie too! From Moore.

Yes, this was my first Carnival cruise. So, no gold card for us this time! Next time!

We got to the port around 11:00. There were plenty of other people there, but I think we missed the masses.

We really enjoyed Belize! I had read these boards before, so I knew about the tensions, but I didn't notice anything at all! But, our excursion left from the dock and we only shopped there on the dock when we returned. My full review is under the Belize board.

Have fun!!

My wife and I have been married for almost 10 years. This was our late honeymoon and our 1st cruise. We flew from Tulsa, OK to Houston, TX, on Contential Airlines(booked through the cruise line). Our ride was suppose to be only 1hr 15min. Ended up over 3 hours. A storm popped up and we had to fly around it. When we did we did not have enough fuel to make it to Houston so we landed in Chorpus Christi to refuel. After landing in Houston we took the shuttle to Galveston.

Embarkation - Very smooth we arrived at 2:30 pm and were eating at Tiffany's by 3:00 pm. It was cloudy since the storm was moving in, but did not rain on us. We set sail around 4:30 pm. About 11:00 pm a passenger had a stroke and fell down some stairs. We had to return to Galveston so he could get medical treatment. Lucky for the passenger a doctor on vaction was within earshot of the man when he fell. Last I heard he was do OK.

1st Day at Sea - Sea were a little rough. I think we were going Mach Speed to make up for our return trip to Galveston. It was beautiful outside. We just relaxed. 1st Formal Night. Take lots of pictures.

Progresso - Primitive port. Not much here. Do not do the Corona Beach Break. We did not and sat on the same beach. We took the free shuttle to town. $1 Corona and Sol Beer. Ate at La Saint Bonnet(sp?). The food was great. Shopping here is cheap.

Cozumel - We went on the Passion Island Excursion. It was worth every penny. Open bar, free food(after you pay for excursion) and as much sun as you can take. About 5 hours all together. after that we shopped in port and went to Carlos and Charlie's. It was everything I expected and more. Just remember what time is last boarding on the ship. I heard some people got left behind here.

Belize - Rainy day. We snorkled at Goff's Caye. Loved it. Great for beginner snorklers. I would reccomend to do a ship excursion here. You have to take a tender to shore and the tenders do not leave until after all the ship's excursions are gone. Also if you just want to go to port you will get a number and when you number is called you will catch your tender but only after the number is called. That stops around 11 and you can take any tender you want. Belize looked very poor and we were advised by some other passengers to just stay at the cruise terminal. I heard others say afterwards they did not feel comfortable when they went into the city. Shopping in the cruise terminal is very expensive and they were not willing to barter for a better price.

2nd day at sea - just relaxed until dinner. 2nd Formal night.

3rd day at sea - same

Debarkation - went very smooth until we got to the shuttle bus. The Cruise ran shuttle that is. The Driver was rude, we waited over an hour after the bus was loaded. He finally came on and said that a luggage compartment would not lock any way we made it to the airport and flew back to Tulsa, OK. the airline left 5 bags in houston of course one was mine. they did bring it to my house over 2 hours away that night. I was happy about that.

Overall our cruise was great. We had good table mates and ate in the dining room all but one nights(due to our head waiter Paulbert and his assitant, Zina). The food was great in the dining room and Average at Tiffany's. I would cruise again but not on a 7 day with only three ports. I was kind of bored the last day. My wife wasn't though she layed out all day by the pool. I would reccommend this to anyone that is starting out at cruising.

Archived