Belize snorkeling on a tight budget.

Tmaxx1

My wife and I are considering a Western Caribbean cruise including Belize. We would like to go snorkeling, but Carnivals excursion is $60 per person. We just don't have $240 to spend. I checked out a local snorkeling outfit and they are $79 a person. In past cruises to the Eastern Caribbean we were able to hike or walk to snorkeling spots. Does Belize not have good snorkeling spots within walking distance?

Thank you for any suggestions.

Belize doesn't really have easily accessible beaches for snorkeling (or even just laying on the beach for that matter...)

Where else are you going on the cruise? If you visit Roatan, that would a great place to snorkel :)

Belize doesn't really have easily accessible beaches for snorkeling (or even just laying on the beach for that matter...)

Where else are you going on the cruise? If you visit Roatan, that would a great place to snorkel :)

We would be going to Roatan and Cozumel as well. If we were to pay for an excursion on Belize, what would be the most bang for the buck? If we snorkel at Cozumel and Roatan, perhaps we do something at Belize that is unique to the area?

We would be going to Roatan and Cozumel as well. If we were to pay for an excursion on Belize, what would be the most bang for the buck? If we snorkel at Cozumel and Roatan, perhaps we do something at Belize that is unique to the area?

There are several independant tour companies in Belize. You can save 25% to 40%. Google snorkel tours Belize and see what come up. Coral Breeze has a big following. We used Fab Tours several years ago and took a trip to Bannister Island. I read later that they bought their own island but have not researched it. They had a combo reef snorkel and beach tour that was good. I think that it was $35@ at that time.

In Roatan you can snorkel at Tabyanna and wade to the reef.

Cozumel has several spots for shore snorkeling. We have snorkeled Dzul ha (Money Bar now), Playa Corona and Chankanaab Park. Chank charges an entry fee but the others don't. All can be had for about a $10 taxi ride.

• 3 weeks later...

clackey is right on the money about the snorkeling spots on Roatan and Cozumel. We snorkeled Dzul Ha (Money Bar) and West Bay (Tabyanna). We got the best pictures while snorkeling these places. We did Roatan using bananarama tours. $30 - $35 a person for the round-trip, two drinks, and two chairs. We were happy with this experience. Dzul-Ha is free and just a taxi ride away. Hubby did buy a couple of drinks at Money-Bar since we used their chairs. I have heard that there is another good free place to snorkel in Cozumel but I haven't begun my research yet since our cruise isn't until April 2013.

We, too, are looking for a snorkeling spot in Belize. After snorkeling the best for free or near free, it is hard to pay good money to snorkel in a sub-standard place. We are thinking about just walking around the town unless something comes up. We paid for an snorkeling excursion in Grand Turk and feel that we could have gotten a better experience by simply snorkeling from the shore.

If you find something that looks promising in Belize, please post. I will do the same. Anyone who rather shop than snorkel is missing a whole world of beauty, but we, sadly, may be just shop-hopping in Belize. :(

We also save money by packing our snorkeling equipment (fins, mask, and b/c) when we cruise.

Have fun!

Julie

For a great snorkel trip in Belize, look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours, for their info.

In Roatan you can do a ships tour for about $35 PP to Tayabana Beach where you walk in for a short swim to the reef, about our favorite place to snorkel. You can also pack a "no cooler" lunch during breakfast to take along to Tayabana as we do.

The Money Bar in Cozumel is a great free place to snorkel.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

You need to fly to Ambergis. Seems like a lot of logistics for snorkeling if you're also going to other great snorkeling ports on your cruise. I'd also worry about something going wrong and missing the ship.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

We did cave tubing in Belize. Its pretty unique. You take a 30 min walk through the jungle then plop your butt in a tube and float back to the starting point. It was fun :)

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

For a great snorkel trip in Belize, look up the site for Coral Breeze Tours, for their info.

In Roatan you can do a ships tour for about $35 PP to Tayabana Beach where you walk in for a short swim to the reef, about our favorite place to snorkel. You can also pack a "no cooler" lunch during breakfast to take along to Tayabana as we do.

The Money Bar in Cozumel is a great free place to snorkel.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

I second the Coral Breeze tour in Belize. One trip we went to Cay Caulker and toured with Star Tours. They had a good tour but they had mechanical problems with their outboard and our guide didn't have a watch. We nearly missed the last tender to the ship.

The snorkeling at Cay Caulker was good and there is a place that you can walk to called the Split. I heard that the snorkeling is good there.

The Cavetubing is a hoot.

Will in sunny Florida,

Which ship excursion for snorkeling do you recommend in Belize? Caye Caulker or Ambergris Caye?

Thanks!

Julie

We go with Coral Breeze Tours for this snorkel trip & local lunch on Caye Caulker.

Look up their site for all of their info.

Ambergris Caye as someone here said is too far for a cruise ship tour.

Don't sweat getting back to your ship on time with this tour as these guys make their living from the feedback given here. Heni & her crew will show you a great snorkel trip & FYI we have been doing this trip with CB for twice a year for about 10 years & we never got close to missing the last tender.

Enjoy Belize.

Bill in FL

Archived