Bringing a case of wine

neveslaw

I've read on these Boards that Carnival will allow you to bring a reasonable amount of wine/champaine aboard (2 per person?) and that some people have simply checked in a case (12 bottles) with their luggage. We have a group with several wine drinkers and we are discussing bringing aboard a case to split amoungst ourselves on the Elation. Question: For thoughs of you who have brought wine aboard, do you think we will have any problems just checking in the case when we arrive at the pier and can you check a case of wine along with your luggage at the airport? Your thoughts are appreciated. Thanks.

Friends we were traveling with recently on the Glory did just what you are wondering about. They shipping the case of wine to the pre-cruise hotel. Then they checked it at the pier with their luggage. It was delivered, sealed, to their stateroom. They brought 12 bottles. 6 for them and 6 for another couple. They were able to keep all the bottles in their stateroom for the entire trip and were even provided a corkscrew by their cabin stewards. Bonus to that, when they did bring it to dinner, they were never charged the corkage fee!

I am also wondering about the wine. I checked Carnival's website and looked at the Contract of Carriage. They say if you are celebrating a special occassion you may bring fine wine and champagne. No where does it specify how much (or how little) you can bring. It says you should bring it with you at embarkation. I would be very worried about having it taken with the checked luggage. Have you see what they do to the luggage? Everything is hoisted into huge bins. I don't see how the wine would ever make it. Anyone have any info on how to get a case on? Would it be better to just hand carry it since they make no specification of the amount which may be brought on board?

I also am curious about how to bring wine onboard. When I came back from Italy two months ago, I lugged four(!) bottles of wine back in my carry-on bag. It was a bear but worth it.

Also, we are renting a car for the trip from the airport to the pier, and I would like to know where there is a decent wine store (grocery stores dont' have the selections we like).

Thanks,

Pam

Also, we are renting a car for the trip from the airport to the pier, and I would like to know where there is a decent wine store (grocery stores dont' have the selections we like).

Thanks,

Pam

Which port??

I also am curious about how to bring wine onboard. When I came back from Italy two months ago, I lugged four(!) bottles of wine back in my carry-on bag. It was a bear but worth it.

Thanks,

Pam

Is this your cruise from Port Canaveral in July? If it is try any ABC Liquor Store (there is one on the main road, RT A1A, in Cape Canaveral. They usually have a fairly good wine selection for such a small location. There is also one further south on the same road about 5 miles or so in Cocoa Beach with a much larger selection. Surprisingly diverse. Also one on Merritt Island in Cocoa. They are everywhere in Florida!

We live in Florida, so taking the wine with us was not a problem since we drove to the port on the Miracle in Dec. We brought 6 bottles in a role on that we took on board - to avoid any breakage. When we cruised Alaska 2001 on the Spirit, we went to a liquor store before boarding to purchase the wine we wanted to bring on board. Same thing, carried it on. It is a little bit of a pain, but you have the wine you enjoy at a much lower price than the ship charges! We were not charged for corkage either time - made sure to tip the waiter a little extra. On the Miracle they even chilled it for us! Liquor is not allowed - but I have known many people to bring it anyway especially beer.

Happy sailing.

So, if you "uncork" your bottle prior to entering the dining room, you will not be charged the corkage fee? Can you walk from your cabin to the dining room with a "uncorked" bottle. (I drink the wine but I am not up on the terminology) :)

Archived