Ochos Rios Excursion & Margaritaville

*CruiseFan*

Howdy everyone!

My boyfriend and I are going to be in Ochos Rios while sailing on the Victory next month. We have been to Montego Bay while on the Conquest and had a blast! I have a couple of questions for you Ochos Rios experts (or something like that).

First off, his mom and I have been looking at excursions for us and the main issues we have is we want to leave at 8:30 or before and get back by noon at the very latest. So, while looking she found one that is called the Sundancer Yacht Cruise. This is where you leave at 8:30 and are back by 11. My main concern is I want to climb Dunn's River Falls. He's done it before, I haven't, so we're trying to accommodate both of us. Has anyone done this excursion? It says they teach you reggae dances and serve drinks on the boat and then you climb the falls.

When we get back from the excursion we want to go to Margaritaville and have a cheeseburger in Paradise as well as enjoy a bit of fun in the sun and partying. On the Margaritaville website it says that it is a short three-minute walk to the pier from the Ochos Rios Margaritaville.

My question is - is it really that close to walk and, even more importantly, is it SAFE to walk back to the ship? Is it blocked off and safe where we just walk out of margaritaville and quickly back to the ship or is it safer to take a taxi?

Thanks in advance!

Howdy everyone!

When we get back from the excursion we want to go to Margaritaville and have a cheeseburger in Paradise as well as enjoy a bit of fun in the sun and partying. On the Margaritaville website it says that it is a short three-minute walk to the pier from the Ochos Rios Margaritaville.

My question is - is it really that close to walk and, even more importantly, is it SAFE to walk back to the ship? Is it blocked off and safe where we just walk out of margaritaville and quickly back to the ship or is it safer to take a taxi?

Thanks in advance!

Margaritaville is in the Island Village complex which is located right next to the cruise ship docks. It's quite safe to walk there...and only takes a couple of minutes. If I remember correctly, Island Village is right next to the fenced in parking lot which is in front of the cruise ship docks.

Here's a picture. This looks just like our view from the balcony in our cabin. You walk down the dock and through the pink building and the parking lot is right in front of this building. Margaritaville is to the right of the picture (behind the lovely white sandy beach). You can see the "Island Village" sign in the middle of the complex.

http://community.webshots.com/photo/73375963/73376395KuUDaD

Ahh! Thank you thank you thank you thank you twinkletoes! Besides making me anticipate my cruise even more you answered my question better than I've ever had one answered :)

I appreciate your help, a picture really is worth 1000 words in this case. I wasn't sure about taking a short three minute walk trough Jamaica but that looks fine.

Thanks again!

It's a safe and easy walk! There's all sorts of shops besides Margaritaville. You'll walk across the parking lot where the taxis and tour guides wait for their passengers (I believe the government limits how many of them can be inside at any given time). There was a steady stream of cruise passengers coming and going from Island Village/Margaritaville when we were coming and going.

Right in front of the pink building, there are a couple of picnic tables in a grassy area. Behind the grassy area, there are these huge rocks next to the ocean. I had my kids climb on them (they're college age) and took several pictures of them. They turned out really nice...our cruise ship was right behind them. We got pics of the kids and our ship!

Have a great cruise! :)

You're welcome. It will really be a great day for you. And all the people I have encountered in Jamaica are great. And a polite no thank you always lets them know you are not interested in there particular goods. No Problem mon' ... have a great trip.:D

My husband and I recently went on cruise to jamaica and we had a great time. we had an independent tour with Trevor Hudlin. We had a great time. he was very friendly and gave us a great tour of all the sites we wanted to see. We were the only ones he had booked that day so we had a very private tour that was scheduled around what we wanted to do. :)

His e-mail is trevorhudlin@hotmail.com :D

My husband and I recently went on cruise to jamaica and we had a great time. we had an independent tour with Trevor Hudlin. We had a great time. he was very friendly and gave us a great tour of all the sites we wanted to see. We were the only ones he had booked that day so we had a very private tour that was scheduled around what we wanted to do. :)

His e-mail is trevorhudlin@hotmail.com :D

We'll have to keep that in mind for next time! We booked the other night for the Sundancer Yacht cruise. I'm really only interested in going to Dunn's River Falls and the Margaritaville and my boyfriend is more for Margaritaville since he has climbed the falls already :) So, he's compromising by going to this with me and then we'll go back to play!

Thanks for the advice!

• 2 weeks later...

We were in Ocho Rios last month. I booked with A-Z....very professional. They kept in touch via email and even confirmed a few days before sailing. I recommend Oscar. What a gem!!!! A real sweetheart. We pretty much customized our tour...Dunns River Falls....freakin outstanding!!! River tubing...what a blast! A drive through Fern Gully...a must to see. Oscar dropped us off at Margaritaville where we ate and had our share of Margarita's & shots....and we still had plenty of time to check out some of the shops before heading back to the ship. FYI...payment is made at the end of the tour...in cash and also be sure to have plenty of small $ bills for tipping...$5's & $1's would be good. Enjoy!

• 10 months later...
We'll have to keep that in mind for next time! We booked the other night for the Sundancer Yacht cruise. I'm really only interested in going to Dunn's River Falls and the Margaritaville and my boyfriend is more for Margaritaville since he has climbed the falls already :) So, he's compromising by going to this with me and then we'll go back to play!

Thanks for the advice!

I am strongly considering the Sundancer excursion as well. Please post when you get back. I'd love to have your opinion.

Have a great cruise!

Kelly

Twinkletoes, I looked on at some of your pictures. They're great. The pictures of your sons, is that Margaritaville? I'm taking my 5yr old, is that all you did for the day? Or did you do an excursion with them? I have already done the falls. Thanks

Archived