Beware of new Scam!

Miss Jolly

Whilst walking through the streets of Paris, we had a very "pleasant"lady stop us to see if the gold ring that "she had just found" belonged to us. She then insisted that I keep it for good luck, (would not take no for an answer) and then shook our hands wishing us all good luck. Moments later she returned begging us for some cash for the ring.we had some trouble in returning the ring to her but did manage to do so before hurrying away from her.

Whilst walking through the streets of Paris, we had a very "pleasant"lady stop us to see if the gold ring that "she had just found" belonged to us. She then insisted that I keep it for good luck, (would not take no for an answer) and then shook our hands wishing us all good luck. Moments later she returned begging us for some cash for the ring.we had some trouble in returning the ring to her but did manage to do so before hurrying away from her.

Forgot to add this old one that hit us as soon as we had arrived in Paris.

As we just left the Eurostar platform in Paris with lots of luggage, we were quickly approached by a driver with van who offered us transport to out apartment near St Germain. Luckily we had already been told it would cost approx 10€- he wanted to charge us 130€! Make sure you have prearranged transport or go to the official taxi rank outside (turn right as you leave the station) where there are some very helpful young guys dressed in red shirts and black pants. They will make sure you get an honest driver who can fit in all of your luggage

It is still a lo ely city to visit. As usual, just keep your wits about you.

Out of interest, I am supposing these were not "Parisians".

I love Paris and used to live about 4 hours from the city. We blended in being "European" so didn't get hassled but there are gangs of EE working in all the major cities pulling things like this off. Just yell loudly at them, thus drawing attention and they should scarper.

It is a shame that you ran into these type of common scams on your arrival in such a wonderful city. Yes, what happened to you is not uncommon and we suspect that for some reason you stood out as a good "mark" for these nasty folks. The ring scam is a very old gypsy trick (they will sometimes even pick your pocket as you are distracted by the ring discussion so you are lucky) which you will find throughout Europe. A friend of mind had the same think happen (only it was a fake diamond ring rather then a fake gold ring) and he accepted the ring and put it in his pocket. When the gypsy later tried to get him to give up some money he just laughed and walked off (and kept the ring).

As to the transport scam, there are variations of this around the world. Tourists are well advised to stick with licensed taxis (and make sure they use the meter) or pre-arranged transports from reputable companies. "Gypsy" taxis (its what they are called in places like New York) may not only try to charge ridiculous fares...but they probably do not have an insurance.

Hank

This is NOT a new scam...it has been around for a looong time,and I bet it will be around for a long time to come.As for the taxi...never use one not at a stand or prearranged.Different scams in different cities...always has amazed me.

It is definately not new. Happened to me 3 years ago in Paris on our way to the Eiffel Tower. They pretended to pick up a ring and wanted to hand it to me...I wasn't interested and wasn't going to pay for it. I saw the same thing happen to a couple outside the walls of the Louve....they ignored the gypsy and kept walking.

My favorite was the gypsies on the grounds of the Eiffel Tower asking in a perfect American accent, "Do you speak English?". I looked right at them and shook my head no and kept walking.

They are everywhere. Just be aware of your surroundings and never let your guard down.

In Rome, it was roses. The guy handed me two, then wouldn't take them back, but wouldn't leave until I gave him 3 EUROs. Unfortunately the roses didn't last the day and ended up in the trash.

But I learned real quick not accept anything from anybody on the street.

Archived