Taxes, fees, insurance, transfers?

Sayyadina

Hi,

New to this. I've been researching prices on lots of online travel sites as well as the NCL and HAL sites for 3 specific cruises. One site will give me a price that includes taxes, another will give me one that DOESN'T include taxes, but does include transfers and other fees. Then the HAL site gives me the choice of insurance, but that is their insurance (I think?) and not the all-important Travel Insurance, right? I have to get Travel Insurance from an insurance agent....?

I'm really not even sure what questions to ask. Does anyone have any information on fees, taxes, insurance, and what are transfers? We will be driving to the port from our home, not flying, so if transfers fees are for trasportation available through the cruiseline we don't need that.

Help?

JodyM :confused:

You don't say how long the cruise is, weather you need to fly/drive in. Need a hotel per or post cruise.

Example if you do not need any hotel or air travel you still will need trip interruption and baggage and medical insurance. Most people don't recommend buying the cruise line insurance because they don't included the flight or hotel unless you buy throught them and they charge more most of the time. The cruise line also do not refund money in most case you get a credit unless it is more then 90 days before the cruise. Where the cruiseline insurance is better is the for any reason clause (ie a week before your cruise you lose your job and can't go, theywill give you a cruise crdiet that you have to use before one year).

Taxes and port charges are added after the basic charge ie the room is $800.00 per person plus $243 for taxes and port fees for a total of $1243.00 per person. Tranfers are only included when you buy their airfare or hotel. Most transfers are $30.00 per person and you can generally get a taxis cheaper or if staying in a hotel use theirs for free. This is the fun one because some TAs sys it is included in their price so there prices appears higher but other don;t include it and their's appears to be low. So get a quote from A $800.00 plus port and be says $1043 port included when you work it out both are the same. You have to ask each time what is the port charges and are they included.

Questions to ask, Do you charge a cancellation fees or a service fee and how much is it? Some agencies charge $50.00 to book you then if you cancell there could also be a charge.

Do you want a GTY room? This is a roll ofthe dice. You pay for a cat say you want a balconey. You pay for the lowest cat and wait you might get upgraded to a better cat, on a better floor but you may end up with a obstructed view to or may get into a suite.

What happens if I want to change rooms in the same cat.

If the prices drops before final payment will you give a refund?

If the price drops after final payment do I can a cabin credit or an upgrade ( in most cases may be not)?

When do I have to finish paying for the trip? (Usually 90 days before)

Do I have to pay for drinks? Yes, pop, alcohol and some coffees ie latte, spanish etc.

When and who do I tip? This various a bit but it is your choice.

Do I pay for food, ice cream? No and yes. In the normal Dining Rooms food has been paid for as is ice cream served at dinner. If you wish you may eat in a spiecal restuant which will cost you around $25 - $30 per person. Some ships have Tom and Jerry or Haaz ice cream which cost extra but most ships have a free ice cream bar.

Do I need a passport? There are new regs out which basically say that yes you will need them. Get them now.

Hi, and thanks for responding.

I am looking at 2 cruises that are 11 nights, and 1 that is 10 nights. I was looking at 1 that was 14 nights, but I think the itinerary has changed drastically, so that may be out of the running.

They will be leaving from New York (NCL) and Norfolk, VA, (HAL) and we will be driving to the port either way, and will not need airfare or hotel. The 14 night one (NCL) was leaving from Philadelphia. So I guess we won't need transfers.

So, a GTY room means that I am guaranteed the room category I've booked, but I may get upgraded? I don't understand how this is different from anything else...for example: Say I book an obstructed oceanview stateroom. What would be the difference if it was GTY or if it was not? If it was not GTY they wouldn't ever offer me an upgrade?

I'm comfortable with the tipping expectations and dining arrangements for both lines I'm interested in, and also the alcohol/soda prices, etc. I'm more worried about all the small print stuff right now. :) Thanks again!

JodyM

Sayyandina, First off, don't buy transfers or insurance through the cruiseline, you can do much better on your own. Unless you have a reason (pre-existing health condition) you may be better off not purchasing trip insurance until after your final payment is made. Your deposit may be fully refundable, but you may lose the cost of the insurance. BTW, you probably won't have any transfer fees, as you are driving, but make sure you have advance knowledge of parking fees. Sometimes, a nearby hotel will have a "stay and cruise" deal where you can arrive the day prior and leave your car at the hotel for the duration of the cruise.

If you are comparing fares with different online TAs, you can get to the point where you all but purchase the cruise, then stop to compare the bottom price. The taxes and port charges should be the same for all TAs (not all cruises, though), but some charge shipping fees. Make sure you know the cancellation policy before booking.

We're not allowed to give the name of online TAs here on these board, but do investigate several. I have had the same cruise, same cabin come up with differences of $200-$300 more with some online TAs. Don't discount the local travel agent, either many people here have written they get better deals through them. If you go prepared and know what you want, you will be able to make an educated choice if you use a local agency.

You have some homework to do, but you've come to the right place. These boards a full of great information.

Happy planning!

Archived