Unsettle weather continues in Tropics 5/16 4 pm

TVMet

Stormy weather will continue on the cruise routes for the next few days. Currently, areas of heavy rain are moving through PR and the USVI. The National Weather Service in San Juan has issued a Flash Flood Watch for these areas.

By the weekend, various computer models forecast an area of low pressure to form in the Caribbean. This could bring stormy weather to Florida, the Gulf Coast, and areas into the Caribbean. It is too early to tell if this feature will develop, but increasing rain and wind are possible.

Update, most of PR has been put under a FLash Flood Warning. Severe flooding is being reported as up to 4 inches of rain has fallen today. Similar conditions are possible in the VI, DR, Jamaica, GC with stormy weather down in Mexico and Belize. Looks like the worst

paste.JPG.b3738927d22fd26e8307198175647758.JPG

Doom & Gloom.......Doom & Gloom

Henny Penny the Sky Is Falling............elec1-9.gifelec1-10.gif

From now til November there is a pretty much a chance any day of storms......

The ships have the very latest in weather equipment. They can usually sail around the worst of the storms.

Or they can change the itinerary and go to different ports.

Storms

Rouge Waves

Ice Bergs

Or you can stay at home, never leave, never take a vacation.....and fall down the basement steps and get paralyzed

I'm not much for Country Music......but I love that song. "Live Like You Are Dying"

Doom & Gloom.......Doom & Gloom

Henny Penny the Sky Is Falling............elec1-9.gifelec1-10.gif

The ships have the very latest in weather equipment. They can usually sail around the worst of the storms.

Storms

Rouge Waves

Ice Bergs

Or you can stay at home, never leave, never take a vacation.....and fall down the basement steps and get paralyzed

I'm not much for Country Music......but I love that song. "Live Like You Are Dying"

I think you are overreacting to my simple post about the weather. I don't think I told anyone to stay home. Many people post about the trouble in getting good weather information for the normal Eastern & Western Caribbean cruise routes. I'm simply trying to give someone cruising in the next few days a "heads up". If you don't care for the information, just don't read the thread. There might be someone out there (maybe visiting this board from a computer on a ship) who does want the information. If ya'll would like me to stop posting, I will, I've got better things to do with my time.

OHHH hit a sore spot now now LOL... I myself like the weather updates and yes if you are planning a cruise the weather is always the top because that makes or breaks it... as to falling off the bed and stuff.. bud hey that can be fun LOL

Thanks for the info TVMEt

Doom & Gloom.......Doom & Gloom Henny Penny the Sky Is Falling............elec1-9.gifelec1-10.gif

Storms

Rouge Waves

Ice Bergs

I think you are overreacting to my simple post about the weather. I don't think I told anyone to stay home. Many people post about the trouble in getting good weather information for the normal Eastern & Western Caribbean cruise routes. I'm simply trying to give someone cruising in the next few days a "heads up". If you don't care for the information, just don't read the thread. There might be someone out there (maybe visiting this board from a computer on a ship) who does want the information. If ya'll would like me to stop posting, I will, I've got better things to do with my time.

TVMet - I presonally dont think Voyager was overreacting or YOU were urging others to stay home. I think he was just making some simple comments which are so true as many nay-sayers do NOT cruise because of what they hear about the weather....

As for myself..I love weather updates also! Keep it up!!!! I have to check weather here locally & regionally on a daily basis for work....

thanks again Met!!

San Juan looks like rain for over 10 days!! (and now I just checked and ST Thomas looks pretty much the same for the same time frame with most days giving a 60% chance of rain. Interesting....

May 16 TonightShowers likely and possibly a thunderstorm this evening, then some lingering showers still possible overnight. Low near 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Rainfall possibly over two inches. May 17 TomorrowShowers in the morning, becoming steady in the afternoon with a few thunderstorms possible. High 81F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall possibly over one inch. Locally heavier rainfall possible. May 17 Tomorrow nightShowers and thundershowers in the evening, then overcast overnight with steady rain - a thundershower is possible. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a half an inch. May 18 WednesdayCloudy with showers and thunderstorms.. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 19 ThursdayThundershowers. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 20 FridayThundershowers. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 21 SaturdayShowers, maybe a rumble of thunder. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 22 SundayThundershowers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 23 MondayChance of showers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 24 TuesdayShowers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 25 WednesdayChance of showers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 70s.

There SHOULD be a weather update forum..I think it would be a good idea as TVMet said previously - for CC members that are ON the ship - they can check the weather and can change excursions, plans ahead of time......

San Juan looks like rain for over 10 days!! (and now I just checked and ST Thomas looks pretty much the same for the same time frame with most days giving a 60% chance of rain. Interesting....

May 16 TonightShowers likely and possibly a thunderstorm this evening, then some lingering showers still possible overnight. Low near 75F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 60%. Rainfall possibly over two inches. May 17 TomorrowShowers in the morning, becoming steady in the afternoon with a few thunderstorms possible. High 81F. Winds SSE at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall possibly over one inch. Locally heavier rainfall possible. May 17 Tomorrow nightShowers and thundershowers in the evening, then overcast overnight with steady rain - a thundershower is possible. Low 76F. Winds S at 5 to 10 mph. Chance of rain 80%. Rainfall near a half an inch. May 18 WednesdayCloudy with showers and thunderstorms.. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 19 ThursdayThundershowers. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 20 FridayThundershowers. Highs in the mid 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 21 SaturdayShowers, maybe a rumble of thunder. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 22 SundayThundershowers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 23 MondayChance of showers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 24 TuesdayShowers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the mid 70s. May 25 WednesdayChance of showers. Highs in the upper 80s and lows in the upper 70s.

There SHOULD be a weather update forum..I think it would be a good idea as TVMet said previously - for CC members that are ON the ship - they can check the weather and can change excursions, plans ahead of time......

Where do you get all these forecasts from??? I am curious about all the other stops on the Destiny. I get to PR on the 26th and hope for sun>

I just hate for people to get their weather forecast from one of these computer model web sites like cnn or yahoo or weather.com or accu-wx. These forecast are never checked by a human and I've seen big errors in the Caribbean region where there isn't enough data coming in to the models... garbage in= garbage out.

I like to go to a human forecaster... the National Weather Service in San Juan is an excellent source with good knowledge of the local climate. You can get their forecast for PR & USVI at...

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/pr/zone.html

scroll through the Spanish version and you'll see an English version too.

You can read their discussion at...

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/pr/discussion.html

Get current conditions at...

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/pr/hourly.html

Severe weather for PR & USVI at...

http://iwin.nws.noaa.gov/iwin/pr/allwarnings.html

Of course, when the hurricane season starts, you can get updates from the National Hurricane Center at...

http://www.nhc.noaa.gov/index.shtml

There aren't too many nations in the Caribbean region with good weather services so you might have to check one of the "computer" web sites. For example, last time I checked the Cayman Weather Office web site hadn't been updated since the day before Hurricane Ivan hit!

I use www.weather.com and www.accuweather.com for the weather updates I have to get. We also usa NOAA radio almost daily if it is cloudy out....

Betty,

Web sites like these are fine, just keep in mind that you are getting your weather from a computer model which may or may not have a good handle on things. A better source would be a local tv meteorologist you can trust, or you local National Weather Service office (as you do with NOAA Weather Radio).

ALways use our local meteorologists, but mainly use these other sites for the radar aspect of things

A good site for just getting local radar is...

http://weather.noaa.gov/radar/national.html

Directly from the NWS, very little delay.

Tuesday morning update....

Active weather pattern will continue across the Caribbean region for a few day. Serious flooding problems are being reported in Puerto Rico. A surface low pressure system located south of the Mona Passage this morning, will move across the Dominican Republic today and tonight and then intensify and move slowly eastward into the Atlantic on Wednesday into Thursday. Deep tropical moisture is moving northward from South America to the Caribbean. This moisture combined with a series of upper level systems will produce numerous to widespread showers and thunderstorms, some with torrential rainfall. Expect similar weather to continue for the next few days with more intermittent rain followed by 6-12 hours of heavy showers and thunderstorms. The NWS San Juan says "all local residents and visitors to PR and the USVI should prepare for flash flooding and mudslides during the next few days."

Archived