Anyone ever drive from Ontario to Miami

KPGirl

I'm a cheap travel junkie...and I my sister and I are doing Buf-FLL for $253 each round trip.

If you can find a cheap flight down, it's only $147/pp home on January 7th on Southwest.

I am a huge SW advocate because 2 checked bags/pp for FREE is a great savings, even if the airfare is slightly more costly.

I don't think we will consider flying on the 7th, I think the money we would spend on food and hotels would probably make up the cost of the more expensive flights. I've been looking into flying from Detroit its about $800 cheaper.

We just came back from our cruise. As a family of 4, we also thought about driving to Miami to save on the plane fare. However, we ended up flying out of Buffalo on Southwest for $200 each return taxes in ($800 in total) and paid $57 at Thrifty's for 7-days parking.

Southwest updates their fares intraday, so the key is keep checking throughout the day for the fare you consider reasonable and booking early if possible.

BTW, our flight out of Buffalo was delayed 4 hours, and Southwest gave each of us a $200 voucher valid for one year for travel on any Southwest route as compensation. So we basically ended up travelling to Miami for free, and have our fare for next year's vacation.

I don't think we will consider flying on the 7th, I think the money we would spend on food and hotels would probably make up the cost of the more expensive flights. I've been looking into flying from Detroit its about $800 cheaper.

Never thought of Detroit. Good option for someone from Ontario.

$20 a day to park at the Port of Miami. Did drive from Seattle to Miami and back once. One way took 2 1/2 days of solid driving and very little sleep.

Your worst traffic will be the Capitol Beltway through DC, MD and VA. Careful driving through Georgia, those troopers don't joke around when it comes to writing tickets.

Ohhh ya got that right! Particularly mid- to southern Georgia. :)

Have you flown Spirit before? I've heard nothing but terrible things.

I haven't but my sister has. We'll see.

Feb 1 - Feb 10, we paid $279/pp return (including 1 bag pp) for a direct flight to FLL. However we do have to leave at 1:55 am with kids. :eek:

Looks like Southwest is $430/pp for the same dates.

There are 15 of us so price was a big motivator.

We are also cruising over New Years (yay!). We will be driving from OH to Miami, about an 18 hour drive. I've been watching air fares and it is definitely very expensive. There are 12 of us total, 5 of them in their early 20's and it's just too much to fly.

We drove from OH to Port Canaveral last year, so we'll just add a few more hours and be fine! I agree for us, vacation starts as we pull out of the driveway, the drive there is exciting (the drive home sucks though lol!).

We will have 4 drivers in our car, so technically can take turns, but my hubby usually doesn't let that happen.

Good luck, maybe we'll pass you on the road! :p

We just came back from our cruise. As a family of 4, we also thought about driving to Miami to save on the plane fare. However, we ended up flying out of Buffalo on Southwest for $200 each return taxes in ($800 in total) and paid $57 at Thrifty's for 7-days parking.

Southwest updates their fares intraday, so the key is keep checking throughout the day for the fare you consider reasonable and booking early if possible.

BTW, our flight out of Buffalo was delayed 4 hours, and Southwest gave each of us a $200 voucher valid for one year for travel on any Southwest route as compensation. So we basically ended up travelling to Miami for free, and have our fare for next year's vacation.

I check the prices a hundred times a day !!!! Just wishing and hoping and praying and nothing but increases, probably should have booked early, my fault!! Oh well at least we know we have driving as an option.

don't sweat it and keep checking...my best guess is that there will be some sort of sale before you leave...either Jet Blue or Southwest. You have the option to drive so keep looking and if nothing than road trip baby!

Would it be wrong of me to say that I can typically work a half day on the day the cruise leaves and work a whole day on the return since I have two ports less than 2-hrs drive away.

Yes it would be very wrong of you, you lucky bugger !!!!

don't sweat it and keep checking...my best guess is that there will be some sort of sale before you leave...either Jet Blue or Southwest. You have the option to drive so keep looking and if nothing than road trip baby!

That is our plan !!

Archived