Portland, Oregon Hotel

mrspaper

I know this is last minute, but we're headed on Sat to Portland, pre cruise. Everyone here is so helpful, I just know you'll all pull through

Should we stay in the city or on the outskirts? (we'll have a car rental)

Should I try priceline, and if so, any suggestions what I should submit?

I travel regularly from Seattle to Portland for overnight stays for work. I use Priceline a lot. I shoot for top star level downtown and start at $100. Sometimes I get it. Sometimes I get up to $135.

Do you put in 4 star? This is helpful, thanks

DW and I wanted hotel near PDX airport for the night of Sept 9 to catch an early morning flight the next day. It appeared that there is only one 3.5 star hotel in the Portland Airport area - the Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel.

We won the Sheraton Portland Airport Hotel for $60 + $15.42 taxes & fees on our first bid.

We don't know anything about the hotel, but don't think we can go wrong with 3.5 star brand name for one night.

If you do downtown, expect to pay for parking at any of the larger hotels. If you stay in a suburb before Portland, I would expect free parking on the premises.

Have never stayed at a hotel in PDX, since I live here, but if you have questions on a particular area, I'm happy to help.

If you do downtown, expect to pay for parking at any of the larger hotels. If you stay in a suburb before Portland, I would expect free parking on the premises.

Have never stayed at a hotel in PDX, since I live here, but if you have questions on a particular area, I'm happy to help.

The hotels outside of the city have free parking.

Should we expect to spend a lot of time in the city, or more time meandering the highways, views, etc. I know there's 2 Marriott's outside the city, near the metro. I'm not sure how far things are from the city, we will be there Sat and Sun, this weekend, so I suppose we don't have to worry so much about work traffic. If we spend lots of time seeing all your scenery, which I hear is beautiful, would it make sense to be outside of the city, closer to the airport, then take our daily rides

What kind of place do you want? What do you plan to do? Have you spent much time in Portland or the area around it? How many nights? Inquiring minds...

That said, have you visited the Columbia Gorge? If you haven't, and if you have a sense of humor/whimsey, then you might think about staying at McMenamin's Edgefield, a fabulous "resort" that combines comfortable but TV-less rooms (it's the former county poor farm) with on-site brewery, winery, distillery, pool hall, movie theater, golf course, gardens, spa, numerous pubs and places to eat, and full of funky, fun, colorful art. It's a serious hoot, and quite affordable. Plus it's 15 min. from the airport, 30 min. from downtown, and it's on the edge of the Columbia Gorge, one of the West's great scenic areas. http://gorgeguide.com/

Or, if that kind of lodging appeals but you'd prefer to be in the city, try McMenamin's Kennedy School. Also hoot-worthy.

Edited to add: You posted more details while I was writing the above.

Portland is a great city, but with just a couple of days I'd suggest you focus on the countryside. With two days you could spend one exploring the Gorge and the other heading up the Hood River Valley to Timberline Lodge on Mount Hood. If the Edgefield is too funky for you (or if it's full) then you could stay in Hood River - around an hour east of the airport - and do both those tours easily. Check out the Best Western right on the river's edge in Hood River; it's very comfortable. (View from our room during one stay.)

What kind of place do you want? What do you plan to do? Have you spent much time in Portland or the area around it? How many nights? Inquiring minds...

That said, have you visited the Columbia Gorge? If you haven't, and if you have a sense of humor/whimsey, then you might think about staying at McMenamin's Edgefield, a fabulous "resort" that combines comfortable but TV-less rooms (it's the former county poor farm) with on-site brewery, winery, distillery, pool hall, movie theater, golf course, gardens, spa, numerous pubs and places to eat, and full of funky, fun, colorful art. It's a serious hoot, and quite affordable. Plus it's 15 min. from the airport, 30 min. from downtown, and it's on the edge of the Columbia Gorge, one of the West's great scenic areas. http://gorgeguide.com/

Or, if that kind of lodging appeals but you'd prefer to be in the city, try McMenamin's Kennedy School. Also hoot-worthy.

thanks for those suggestions. Having never been there, we plan to spend at least 2 nites, but we have no set place to be for a week. If we find the need, we can throw in a 3rd nite. I'll check those websites out

"Parking Package" + Free Self-Parking for One Car Included - Hilton Portland & Executive Tower

A special offer at Hilton Portland & Executive Tower in Portland, Oregon

From $109/nightDeal Analyzer: Save 46%

hotel_card.jpg

Deal Description :) Share this deal:

This package includes :

• Room at the hotel
  • Self-parking for one car
  • Unlimited in and out privileges for self-parking only
  • 25% in savings when this package is booked

Note: Deal rate indicates the best estimate after promotion is applied. The promotional room rate may differ on the hotel web site, especially if the discount is applied at time of purchase.

This deal was published on hilton.com with a starting price, which means that rates begin at the price listed but may be higher depending on your dates of travel.

Lots of hotels by the airport, and you're close to the Columbia River Gorge, which has some absolutely spectacular vistas. If you want to take a trip downtown without worrying about the car, MAX light rail runs from the airport to the downtown core. As of 9/1, you don't have to worry about fare zones, I believe an all-day pass will be $5.

To return to the airport, just get on any red line train heading east.

Check out trimet.org for routes, schedules, and a trip planner, if you want to try MAX. Just be aware that you need to purchase a ticket before boarding the train. No ticket sales on board.

Enjoy your visit, and your cruise.

Archived