Cadiz Do-It-Yourself

Wanted to let other do-it-yourselfers know that there is a double-decker on-and-off tour bus that stops right across from the cruise terminal in Cadiz. You can jump on and off at historical sites, beaches, etc. all day for 9 euros.

We prefer doing our own things rather than buying the ship's shore excursions most of the time and search this board for info on our stops. So I wanted to make this information on Cadiz available for others...

We were just in Cadiz (Splendour of the Seas) and took that bus. It was a lot of fun. Warning-get off the ship and to the bus as soon as you can because the lines get longer and longer as the day goes on. The bus we took stayed in the Old Town area and was just right. There are similar buses in Malaga and Barcelona. We recommend it.

Carol and Rick

Would like to add, that if you are reasonably mobile, the main sights (and really all of old town of Cadiz) is accessible via walking. We walked from one end to the other, with no problem over the course of a day. It is not absolutely necessary to take the bus being discussed above.

Would like to add, that if you are reasonably mobile, the main sights (and really all of old town of Cadiz) is accessible via walking. We walked from one end to the other, with no problem over the course of a day. It is not absolutely necessary to take the bus being discussed above.

For many of the sights the bus is even useless as they are located just in midst of the small and narrow streets and passways that lead through historic Cadiz.

Thus the preparation with a good guidebook might help to decide if the sights one personally wants to visit are better to access by bus or foot.

IMO there are so many beautiful churches, chapels and other sights in Cadiz that it is not necessary to spent the time to go to Seville but of course Seville is the more important and richer of these two cities.

For many of the sights the bus is even useless as they are located just in midst of the small and narrow streets and passways that lead through historic Cadiz.

Thus the preparation with a good guidebook might help to decide if the sights one personally wants to visit are better to access by bus or foot.

IMO there are so many beautiful churches, chapels and other sights in Cadiz that it is not necessary to spent the time to go to Seville but of course Seville is the more important and richer of these two cities.

I guess I should have added that we rode the bus on one complete circuit and listened to the running commentary. Then we went around again and got off at a beautiful sea-side garden with topiary and strolled through a variety of sidestreets and along the seawalk on our way back to the ship. Maps are available at a large kiosk just as you come away from the pier.

Carol and Rick

Depends how much time you have.. if you are lucky and your ship will port overnite in Cadiz.. then by all means spend first day seeing Seville it is beautiful and then Cadiz is easy on your own next day- you can easily walk to the main shopping area from the port almost across street..

or taxi for a couple bucks.

Lots of taxis at the port with their prices of tours displayed ..and alot less expensive than the ships..

It is ( Cadiz) the BESt shopping in all of Spain IMHO..

leather goods..shoes !

and it is very fun..

lots of street entertainers.. Montmarte like ( if you have been to Paris)..

• 3 months later...

I will be in Cadiz in November and am looking for this type of information.

There is also another d-i-y cadiz thread, though, that I started in January. Just so they both reference each other, here is the link.

Anyone have any new advise?

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=121178&highlight=cadiz

susana.

Archived