Chef's Table....and beer??

reefgirl

I would like to try the Chef's Table on out cruise next month with my husband. I understand the CT is all about food and wine pairing, but my DH is a beer drinker. He really, really likes his beer. Would they serve him beer? (we'd pay for it).

I enjoyed the Chef's Table on the Star this past May. There where two people out of the 14 that requested special drinks besides wine. I am not sure if you can get beer but I think you have a good chance.

The Chef's Table is by invitation only. I would stop at the front desk when you arrive and ask if they have a list of interested people. Get to know the Concierge, organize the cruise critic meet & greet, and be in a suite. These are all ways to be invited. Also, if your DH would rather not go you can always go as a single. I did and had a lot of fun. My travel partner does not drink so she felt it would not be for her.

I enjoyed the Chef's Table on the Star this past May. There where two people out of the 14 that requested special drinks besides wine. I am not sure if you can get beer but I think you have a good chance.

The Chef's Table is by invitation only. I would stop at the front desk when you arrive and ask if they have a list of interested people. Get to know the Concierge, organize the cruise critic meet & greet, and be in a suite. These are all ways to be invited. Also, if your DH would rather not go you can always go as a single. I did and had a lot of fun. My travel partner does not drink so she felt it would not be for her.

This is incorrect and outdated information. How long ago did you get invited (versus pay for) the Chef's Table?

Chef's Table on NCL is a $75/ person meal for 12 people that you have to sign up for early on embarcation day and pay for (you can't book this online--same as Jazz brunch, Mystery lunch, Best of lunch, etc). It's first come, first served for the list; concierge for the suite would just make the phone call to the restaurant reservation desk, too. It's menu is set and has been released to the press a few months ago. There's usually a CC thread a day on this event.

On my sailing on the Star in May 2012 all that I said was the way it happen. There was a charge of $75. I didn't mention the cost because I assumed that was a known. I did not add my name to a list. There were 14 of us. At least 4 others did not put their name on a list. Almost all were in suites. The reason I was invited was because I was in the OS and was the organizing member for the M&G. I believe that Officers may do what they want. At the time I booked my restaurant selections online the Chef's Table was not a choice.

So, rather than telling me that I told falsehoods perhaps you could have said that things may have changed since May.

On my sailing on the Star in May 2012 all that I said was the way it happen. There was a charge of $75. I didn't mention the cost because I assumed that was a known. I did not add my name to a list. There were 14 of us. At least 4 others did not put their name on a list. Almost all were in suites. The reason I was invited was because I was in the OS and was the organizing member for the M&G. I believe that Officers may do what they want. At the time I booked my restaurant selections online the Chef's Table was not a choice.

So, rather than telling me that I told falsehoods perhaps you could have said that things may have changed since May.

Actually, my comment was just making personal reference to the way it was handled on Norwegian Star in February 2012 (3 months prior to your sailing).

No harm intended. ;)

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1670963

This sounds like a "Dine with The Captain/Officer" Dinner. Different thing entirely.

I would like to try the Chef's Table on out cruise next month with my husband. I understand the CT is all about food and wine pairing, but my DH is a beer drinker. He really, really likes his beer. Would they serve him beer? (we'd pay for it).

Anything is possible. He can certainly ask, but the wines are specifically paired to enhance the flavor of the food being served, so he might want to consider if he wants to pay $75 for a meal and not have the full effect of what is being offered. No matter what you decide, just remember to sign up for it as soon as you get on the ship. Have a wonderful trip! :)

You're describing a dinner with Officers, not the Chef's Table. The Chef's Table is not available for booking online. Alternatively, one can be invited to dine with the captain, hotel director, etc, from being in a suite, organizing a M&G, or just being pleasant company at one of the many cocktail parties NCL holds. The Chef's Table was implemented fleet-wide in March, 2012. The dinner with the Officers has been around for years and is something you don't pay for.

Anything is possible. He can certainly ask, but the wines are specifically paired to enhance the flavor of the food being served, so he might want to consider if he wants to pay $75 for a meal and not have the full effect of what is being offered. No matter what you decide, just remember to sign up for it as soon as you get on the ship. Have a wonderful trip! :)

Thanks xenagirl!

Beer on NCL ships generally stinks. It's a rarity that you find anything even marginally resembling a decent craft beer. This is JUST my personal opinion, but I think ordering crappy beer after the work that went into the wine pairings and presentations would be borderline insulting. Might I suggest saving the money and enjoying some beer at a much less expensive and organized eating venue, like Moderno or even Cagneys.

Go ahead and flame away, folks. I know it's their vacation and it's their choice, but as I stated I'm just offering my opinion. I just can't imagine one of those wonderful hand crafted courses accompanied by a Heinekin.

Archived