What to do in ocho rio

elifnena

I initially wanted to go to a nice white sand beach close in ocho rio, is my 1st time here (NCL). what should i expect in the port, is it like Cozumel where you can walk around and take a taxi to a nice beach?, or more like Grand Bahama island where you have to have something booked (tour)?

Please any suggestion on what to do, im not really interested in the falls...river tour. but would like to get off the boat and venture around. although i know Jamaica could be not that safe????

:)

Ocho Rios can be a little "rough around the edges". We like it and feel confident walking around there, but many who aren't terribly seasoned travelers do not like it at all. If it's your first time, hire a guide, or get a taxi and have them take you to a beach. You could also book an all-inclusive resort for the day. Lots of people do that. It's not quite as safe and touristy as some other Caribbean ports. It's a beautiful island with beautiful people, but if you do not know what to expect, I would hire a ride.

We just got back from our cruise which also stopped at Ocho Rios.. We were not familiar with the area and heard it was a little rough :) Also we our ship was only there for a short time and we wanted see as much as possible and not waste any time.. So we decided to hire a private tour guide. After some research here and on trip advisor and contacting a few different guides.. We decided to go with Peat Taylor( onieltay at gmail dot com ). He took us to Dunns River Falls and a city highlights tour.. we had a great time and were very happy with our tour. Our friends decided to spend the day at hotel on the beach and also really enjoyed it.

Archived