Some Suggestions for Polite Crusing

vacationman

"....and life is not about just you."
I was just thinking this exact same thing! Although not as profoundly as some of you. :o I was thinking that when I'm on a cruise I'm not the only one on vacation. There are 2000 other people on the ship and they're expecting things from their vacation too. My vacation isn't more important than theirs. In a cruise ship setting you have to know that the cruise line is trying to satisfy everyone's different expectations and sometimes it's not perfect. It's not just about me and my vacation.

I always thought crying children upset their parents much more than they upset others - why let it bother you, you don't need to act on it. Just be glad they belong to some else! Tune them out like you do the Muzak in elevators.

Muzak is intended to be unobtrusive musical background filler, whereas a screaming child five feet away is neither unobtrusive nor in the background.

There is no comparison between the two. A better comparative example would be an air-raid siren. Also, I take little comfort in the fact that the screamers belong to someone else when the "someone else" is utterly oblivious to the effect his/her child is having on everyone within earshot.

Muzak is intended to be unobtrusive musical background filler, whereas a screaming child five feet away is neither unobtrusive nor in the background.

There is no comparison between the two. A better comparative example would be an air-raid siren. Also, I take little comfort in the fact that the screamers belong to someone else when the "someone else" is utterly oblivious to the effect his/her child is having on everyone within earshot.

Children belong on cruises just as much as you, If people don't like it cruise a "No Kids" line.

Please check the cabin number before you start knocking - especially when people might be asleep (note Do Not Disturb sign on door). Some woman wouldn't give up knocking so I got up to answer the door & broke my toe on the way there on the morning of first port of call:mad: :mad: :mad:, ruined the entire rest of the cruise

Children belong on cruises just as much as you, If people don't like it cruise a "No Kids" line.

Please post your cruise bookings so I can avoid the attitude and your children which I can only assume from your postings must be just "Charming". Thanks for the assist.

Given that the poster to whom you are responding was talking about screaming children whose parents are oblivious, not about children in general, your post seems a little overwrought. One could just as easily say, "Loud, sloppy drunks belong on a cruise as much as you; if you don't like it, cruise an alcohol-free cruise!"

If I'm not mistaken, no one here has complained about having kids on a cruise; they're remarking on the children who are unsupervised and badly behaved and the parents who don't respect people around them...and are by extension teaching their kids not to respect others.

If you're doing your job as a parent and you're not letting your children scream in the dining room, run up and down the halls or otherwise bug other people, why so defensive? This is only about having a little regard for others' peace, safety and enjoyment. Why is that an unreasonable request?

The problem seems not to be "children" as a category, but rather, the parents who abdicate their parental responsibilies by allowing the children for whom they are responsible to run amuck. On a cruise ship, thousands of people are confined in relatively small spaces, making it doubly important that adults (and the children they supervise) contribute to a civilized and harmonious atmosphere.

That may be so, however, this thread is entitled :

Some Suggestions for Polite Crusing - in the Norwegian Cruise Line

Which means generally speaking, not specific to one ship. And in that case, I believe the professor has hit the nail on the head. The general public would prefer if adults and kids be considerate, that's all. Amazing to me that people feel so threatened by this thread and come unglued over it.

The stress is making me NEED a cruise to relax!~~ :)

That may be so, however, this thread is entitled :

Some Suggestions for Polite Crusing - in the Norwegian Cruise Line

Which means generally speaking, not specific to one ship. And in that case, I believe the professor has hit the nail on the head. The general public would prefer if adults and kids be considerate, that's all. Amazing to me that people feel so threatened by this thread and come unglued over it.

The stress is making me NEED a cruise to relax!~~ :)

That's as good a reason as any, I'm with you Tinsel! :)

If you'd like to debate whether or not kids should be on cruises, please do it on the appropriate forum: Family Cruising Forum This thread is an informative discussion about different things people can do to make the cruising experience more enjoyable. If this thread continues to be a debate about kids, I'm sorry to say that it will be closed. Let's not get to that point, OK? Thanks for your cooperation. :)

If you'd like to debate whether or not kids should be on cruises, please do it on the appropriate forum

Cecilia, dear -- this is not a debate about whether kids should be on cruises.

The Thread is titled "Some Suggestions for Polite Crusing" and, prominent among those suggestions is that kids, who are always welcome on cruises, should behave in a way that constitutes "Polite Cruising."

Pay attention to context as well as content.

The Thread is titled "Some Suggestions for Polite Crusing" and, prominent among those suggestions is that kids, who are always welcome on cruises, should behave in a way that constitutes "Polite Cruising."

That's exactly the point. It should not be about children cruising. Personally I get enjoyment about seeing kids on cruises...since I don't have to change them at least. Please don't ask me to change your kid...

Not true, Dolphins would rather there be no kids on her cruises, look at her post history.

Dolphins has no objection to pre-school children being on any cruise. I object to school age children being on a cruise when they should be in school.

Finally, Dolphins is a he, not a she.

Joan, dear...per the board guidelines I've asked that the discussion stay focused on the original topic and not be a debate about kids on cruises. I have paid attention to the context as well as the content which is what lead me to ask that everyone stop debating kids on cruising. Please go back and read for yourself and you will see this. So once again, I'm asking for the topic to not focus on kids and cruising. There is a forum where that specific discussion is more appropriate. I can direct you there if you'd like me to. Thank you for your anticipated cooperation.

I thought of something else that bothered me. When in the spa please respect the signs that say this is a quiet zone. Some of us are in there to relax and sort of escape from the crowd. Carry on conversations while next to the person not from across the room.

I thought of something else that bothered me. When in the spa please respect the signs that say this is a quiet zone. Some of us are in there to relax and sort of escape from the crowd. Carry on conversations while next to the person not from across the room.

I agree ... when we were in there one afternoon, there were 2 people in one of the Jacuzzis ... they must have yakked for over a half an hour in pretty loud voices (sitting across from each other and obviously didn't know each other).

Another thing for the spa, might already have been said, but bears repeating: do not "save" loungechairs! There is room for only around 8 chairs and when we were there always anywhere from 1 to 3 of them had the requisite "towel & a book" on them and no one in sight. In the pool or anywhere in sight. We dragged up 2 little "regular" chairs but it wasn't real comfy. One of the women next to one of the empty chairs eventually said to us "I haven't seen anyone here at all and I've been here about 45 minutes." So we took it over, were there 30-45 minutes and the "owner" never showed.

WHAT IS WRONG WITH PEOPLE. That is SO selfish and rude! EIGHT chairs and you have to try and "reserve" one just for yourself in case you decide to drop by at some point?? :mad:

Needed to vent about that. A true pet peeve.

What a wonderful thread !! (but let's not have negativity)

Just found this thread and (not to be off subject or anything) wanted to point out that the stuff we're mentioning (saving seats, leaving children unattended, loud drunks ...) is all common courtesy.

When is it appropriate to leave your child unattended? Never.

They should always be attended to (even at Chucky Cheese)

When should they go around loud and drunk?

Never. (even at Chucky Cheese)

When should they save seats?

Never.(well, I don't mind if they save seats at Chucky Cheese)

The people who do these things are just plain rude.

But the problem is that these same people would probably not be on this web site.

If they were on this web site, they would never read this thread, and if they did read this thread they would say to themselves "Boy, I'm glad I'm not like that!!"

I have learned that the hardest people to tolerate are inconsiderate people. I'm 6'6", and weigh 280 pounds, and it would be so much fun to just squash them all.

I think if I did that, though, I might be considered inconsiderate, also.

Oh well.

How bout if I just "bump" them overboard (can an accident be considered inconsiderate ?):)

Or how bout dropping them off somewhere?

Ship_wrecked.gif

Ya know,

I have been reading a lot lately about pax. "falling" overboard. Have you been on any of "these" cruises:D

Would it be inconsiderate if I got drunk......but I was quiet:o

Only if you hogged a hammock or lounge chair :D

Archived