1st time solo cruiser - where to go? (ex Sydney)

brettus1963

(Please excuse me x-posting as i have also posted the following in the Aust forum, cheers)

G'day, I'm looking at a cruise around Feb- March 2013 as my next holiday.

I guess the title is misleading as its not my 1st time cruising as I have some vague youthfull memories of cruising on the 'Fairstar' back in the mid-80's & sharing a 4 berth cabin, showers that flooded, feeling like i was trapped in an RSL club for 7 days and the sound of water slapping against the ship as our cabin was at water level. hehe.

I reckon the ships (like me) have changed considerablly over the years so I'm tossing up between a solo cruise or 2 weeks Intrepid trip in Vietnam. Yep, from one extreme to the other!

I've seen some nice cruises (ex-Sydney) that either do the 'circuit' around the Sth Pacific, Sydney to Cairns/Tasmania & Sydney to NZ, they all sound interesting and compare well price-wise to 2 weeks in Vietnam (bl**dy single supplement!)

I'm 49 male, still a bit of 'kid' at heart and like having fun on holiday so not ready for the "bingo-set" yet (haha), just looking for good fun time and hopefully meet up with a few other like minded solo'ers on the high seas.

Any tips / feedback is appreciated.

Cheers

Brett

One of my favorite cruises was from Auckland to Sydney, in about the same time of year that you're talking about going. I would do it again in a heartbeat (especially if they could figure out a way to shorten that darned flight time!).

I've never been to Vietnam, but my cousin was just there for a few weeks and raved. So ultimately, it's what kind of trip you want to do , of course :)

Archived