Guernsey

rich12

Hiring a car, is probably the only way to get around the island to see all the various attractions, as the different sites are on different bus routes.

Yes, it will take approximately 1 hour to drive around the coastline of the whole island. It does not make any difference whether clockwise or counterclockwise. Please ensure that you have a detailed map and SATNAV if possible, as it is very easy to get lost in the small lanes (if you plan on driving inland). As you may have already read, the speed limit is either 25mph or 35mph depending upon which road you are driving on, and all roads are either single carriage, or sometimes only one car width wide (i.e if you meet another car, be prepared that you will need to reverse into a drive way or into another lane to pass). The hire cars all have a yellow sticker with a "H" on them, so everyone is aware if it is a holidaymaker driving.

We drive on the left hand side (like the UK and Bermuda), and most cars are "stick shift", so if you need an automatic, you may need to pre-book. For piece of mind, I would suggest to take out the "full" insurance cover, as it is easy to knock a wing mirror, or have a mark on the car, which you would need to pay for on return. We also have a "filter in turn" system which is a yellow lined box at certain junctions, where people take it in turn to drive through, please ensure you slow down and take your turn. This system works very well.

I do not wish to put you off hiring a car, just wish to advise you of some of the issues ahead of time.

Enjoy your trip to Guernsey.

We will be in Guernsey on the Caribbean Princess on Saturday August 17 from 7am-2pm.

Is there any thing that goes on a Saturday that is different than during the week?

What time does the bus start?

What is around the dock to see?

Guernsey is awesome and you will have a great time (if weather permits!)

We went to Castle Cornet, through the beautiful shopping area, and then pretty much wandered up into the hills. It is a neat town with friendly people.

Here's the Guernsey excerpt from my Trip Report if it helps any....

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=34161015&postcount=49

The bus costs GBP 1.00 per trip per person.

You will need change, as sometimes the buses do not have change for GBP 5.00 or GBP 10.00 note. Perhaps you can purchase a small item of food at the airport to obtain some change. In the UK mainland, GBP 1.00 will be a coin (and not a note), whereas in Guernsey we have our own currency notes (£1.00, £5.00, £10.00, £20.00 and £50.00). The currency ranks 1:1 with UK currency.

Unless you wish to keep some Guernsey currency, I suggest that if you purchase any items whereby you receive change in cash, you request "English" cash, rather than "Guernsey" cash. You can exchange "Guernsey" notes for "English" notes in any bank, and you should not be charged for this.

I second this as we had some Guernsey currency left over, not much just 3 or 4 pounds and we could not give it away in London. We tried to use it for several things and every time they would not take it. Now it is a souvenir :rolleyes:.

Kirk

Archived