St georges question

tourismtessy

I will be going to Bermuda for first time this October and have been researching the heck out of this board! My question is: I want to walk from where the ferry dock is to Tobacco Bay and Fort St Catherine and then either walk or taxi back to ferry dock after exploring both areas. I'm thinking as an alternate option to rent a bicycle near the ferry dock to use to transport me around St Georges (allowing me to ride all along Battery Road (I think that is the street name) south back to ferry to see more of the island/coastline scenery. Is this a viable (safe) option and if so, any ideas on where to rent bicycle in St Georges for half a day? Thank you all in advance for your suggestions and help.

I will be going to Bermuda for first time this October and have been researching the heck out of this board! My question is: I want to walk from where the ferry dock is to Tobacco Bay and Fort St Catherine and then either walk or taxi back to ferry dock after exploring both areas. I'm thinking as an alternate option to rent a bicycle near the ferry dock to use to transport me around St Georges (allowing me to ride all along Battery Road (I think that is the street name) south back to ferry to see more of the island/coastline scenery. Is this a viable (safe) option and if so, any ideas on where to rent bicycle in St Georges for half a day? Thank you all in advance for your suggestions and help.

We always do the route you are considering......on foot and it's perfectly safe.

Eve's Cycles in St. Georges should be able to help you out.

http://evecycles.com/New2006/Pages/rental.htm

We did the walk as you described but did not see any taxi's from Ft Catherine - so we walked back along Barry Rd to Retreat Hill and around back to town- very interesting- biking would be a nice way to do this and yes the roads are safe in this area.

Thank You BOTH so much for your quick replies! Could you tell me about how long it would take to "leisurely" walk back to the ferry via Barry Road from Fort Catherine? It doesn't look far at all on the maps I've seen but curious as to mileage---less than a mile?? I love walking and would prefer to probably walk it since you both say it is safe. I take LOTS of pictures and walking gives me the freedom to stop and shoot my heart out along the way :)

Thank You BOTH so much for your quick replies! Could you tell me about how long it would take to "leisurely" walk back to the ferry via Barry Road from Fort Catherine? It doesn't look far at all on the maps I've seen but curious as to mileage---less than a mile?? I love walking and would prefer to probably walk it since you both say it is safe. I take LOTS of pictures and walking gives me the freedom to stop and shoot my heart out along the way :)

It took us about an hour and a half - since we really did not know where we were going :o since it was unplanned. But we stopped along the way for pictures and exploring - there was an old cemetary along the way that we just had to visit... I know it is strange but something we love to do... The route is up a hill (if you take Retreat Rd.) so just be prepared for that - not hard just not a flat walk. If you stay on Barry road it appears (on the map) like the walk would be longer as you would need to round the tip and then walk back to town.

It took us about an hour and a half - since we really did not know where we were going :o since it was unplanned. But we stopped along the way for pictures and exploring - there was an old cemetary along the way that we just had to visit... I know it is strange but something we love to do... The route is up a hill (if you take Retreat Rd.) so just be prepared for that - not hard just not a flat walk. If you stay on Barry road it appears (on the map) like the walk would be longer as you would need to round the tip and then walk back to town.

we feel it's worth it for a stop at Gatres Fort and the

We've done both ways but prefer to stay on Barry Road since it is more scenic and we feel it's worth it for a stop at Gates Fort and the Town Cut to see where the ships used to squeeeeeeeze into St. George.

There's also a glass beach to pick up some sea glass, although it is not as good as the one located near Dockyard. Some of the grave stones in the cemetary are interesting to read.

Sorry OP, can't say how long it's taken because we take our time and enjoy the panorama along the way. I think an hour and a half may sound about right.

Gma Pat---Thanks again for the detailed answer! Looks like we are going on the same cruise this month! I'm taking my sister in law on her very FIRST cruise ever on the Star from NYC to Bermuda! I've been on several cruises (LOVE cruising) but never to Bermuda so I'm super excited about this one. I'll be driving us down from New Hampshire and we'll be spending a few days before the cruise exploring NYC. I've been there a few times as well and it will be her first time in the city. It would be great to meet you on the ship :)

Gma Pat---Thanks again for the detailed answer! Looks like we are going on the same cruise this month! I'm taking my sister in law on her very FIRST cruise ever on the Star from NYC to Bermuda! I've been on several cruises (LOVE cruising) but never to Bermuda so I'm super excited about this one. I'll be driving us down from New Hampshire and we'll be spending a few days before the cruise exploring NYC. I've been there a few times as well and it will be her first time in the city. It would be great to meet you on the ship :)

How exciting for you and your SIL :D. We have an active role call with a CC Meet and Greet and Slot Pull planned http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1609262. Let me know if you would like to be included.

we feel it's worth it for a stop at Gatres Fort and the

We've done both ways but prefer to stay on Barry Road since it is more scenic and we feel it's worth it for a stop at Gates Fort and the Town Cut to see where the ships used to squeeeeeeeze into St. George.

There's also a glass beach to pick up some sea glass, although it is not as good as the one located near Dockyard. Some of the grave stones in the cemetary are interesting to read.

Sorry OP, can't say how long it's taken because we take our time and enjoy the panorama along the way. I think an hour and a half may sound about right.

Thank You so much for your input! After reading the responses My plan is to stay on Barry Road all the way back to the ferry dock to get the FULL loop of scenery. I am giving myself a full day to do St George so I will have plenty of time. I'm a ""It's all about the journey and not the destination" kind of gal so the long, scenic route is always my first choice. Looking forward to taking my time and having the day to myself for picture taking and exploring :)

• 2 weeks later...
THe walk from St Georges around the coastline road, at a good clip for exercise, is about 35 mins. It is a little under 3 miles. So take you time and enjoy.

Thanks! That sounds perfect to me :) Walking (and taking in the beautiful scenery) is my favorite form of exercise. I'm really looking forward to my day in St George!

Archived