HAL Zaandam - 17 November 2012 Circle Hawaii

HALFans

hi halfans -

i will be onboard for that cruise

hope to meet you

bookman teller

Hi! Glad to know there's other CC Family on board too! ;) We'll have to meet up for a drink or two in the Ocean Bar... one of our favorite spots for a casual drink on the Zaandam.

There's a standard roll call at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1580717 if you'd care to join in there too.

If we can get enough people I'm going to arrange a meet & greet with Holland America.

hi halfans -

thanks for posting the link

i have kept up with the standard roll call

but i have not posted.

i know you are organizing an meet & greet

please include me in your plans

i am traveling solo, this is my first cruise since my days in the usn during vietnam

bookman teller

• 2 weeks later...

Bookman,

It really hasn't been that much work... they've changed the process so much it's MUCH easier.

We're generally at the Ocean Bar for a cocktail before dinner - we're confirmed Late seating, but don't know the exact time yet... depends on if we're sitting on the upper or lower level I think.

Often too, the Ocean Bar isn't 'discovered' by the other passengers before sailing, and it's a nice quiet place to have a drink and a chat while all the other people are exploring the rest of the ship or on the Lido for the sail-away. ;)

We look forward to meeting you too.

Um, how will we know you? LOL. Are you going to join us for the Bow photo op if I can arrange for that to happen?

hi halfans-

i would like to join the photo event, please include me

well, i know what you look like, from your posting icon

in keeping with the blue theme in honor of cc,

i will be wearing something blue when we meet at the bar

i am schedule for late dining, but i remember reading that

you use your table-for-two dinner as alone time

that sounds romantic (no emoticons from me)

bookman

i will be wearing something blue when we meet at the bar

You know, I was thinking about that and thought 'what a dumb question - he's seen our pic and how many people are going to come up to us and say "Hi, I'm Bookman Teller". Duhhhh. Minus one for me on that one. LOL.

Helllo everyone!!

I am new to the cruise critic and this type of thread. I met a large group of cruise critics on the Maasdam in July this year who did the Viking Voyage grand tour. We only crossed the Atlantic and had to disembark in Amsterdam to return home- Florida-for work.

This will be cruise number 3 for me this year on HAL. I did Norway in May also on the Ryndam.

My Dad Albert and I (Jenny) will be doing our annual trip. We would like to know if anyone wants to book some tours or share a car. I have one excursion in Hilo that I need 2 more for a six hour tour. If there are more interested, I have emailed to see if they can do a minivan.

We found doing the excursions in Ice Land, New Foundland and Norway on our own were a lot less expensive, gave us more flexibility to see what we wanted and we saw more.

Jenny

PS- I need help getting going with this. It seems to lock up as I am typing.

Helllo everyone!!

I am new to the cruise critic and this type of thread. I met a large group of cruise critics on the Maasdam in July this year who did the Viking Voyage grand tour. We only crossed the Atlantic and had to disembark in Amsterdam to return home- Florida-for work.

This will be cruise number 3 for me this year on HAL. I did Norway in May also on the Ryndam.

My Dad Albert and I (Jenny) will be doing our annual trip. We would like to know if anyone wants to book some tours or share a car. I have one excursion in Hilo that I need 2 more for a six hour tour. If there are more interested, I have emailed to see if they can do a minivan.

We found doing the excursions in Ice Land, New Foundland and Norway on our own were a lot less expensive, gave us more flexibility to see what we wanted and we saw more.

Jenny

PS- I need help getting going with this. It seems to lock up as I am typing.

Hi Jenny!

I'm glad you found us! This is the GLBT Roll Call for our cruise, so far there's only the 4 of now that you've joined. :D

The 'Standard' roll call for our cruise is located at http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1580717 - if you feel comfortable, please join us on that thread too.

There's a lot more information, and some of the CC members going with us ARE looking to share tours.

We're also doing a photo-op on the bow shortly before sailing from San Diego - you can catch up on that too and let us know if you want to join us for that. It's a pretty neat experience.

Welcome Aboard!

Aloha Everyone.

Just wanted to let all of you know that the ONLY car rental company located at the Lahaina port harbor is Hertz Rent a Car. There is a free shuttle service provided from 800am to 400pm daily. We are only a 5 min walk from the pier as well. There is a "After hour" key drop box for those who want to keep the vehicle later in the evening. You can choose to walk back to the pier or hire a taxi for approx $8.00USD.

Any questions call directly at 1-808-661-7735

hi halfans - is it too early to finalize our ocean bar "date" since we both have late dining maybe a half-hour before dinner - let me know - it nice to know i will be able to meet-up with you as i am my own - bookman

Sure, let's get it set! There are 2 late seating times, we won't know which time we get until we get our stateroom keys and little 'welcome folder' with the ship map and everything.

We're going to be seeing you with the CC group for the 'On the Bow Photo Op' at 3:30 embarkation day too. :D If you like we should all know our dinner schedule and we can set a time then.

Chris generally exiles me from the Stateroom when the luggage is delivered. Evidently I'm worse than useless when it comes to unpacking and I just get in the way. :D There's a chance that I'll be in the Ocean bar around 2:00 if the luggage is delivered that early.

I don't know if you've cruised with Holland America before (doesn't sound like any non-navy cruises?), but lately they've been very good about scheduling 'Friends of Dorothy' meetings and posting them in the daily program. I've heard that on some ships they're even posting them as GLBT Get Together or something like that, so we'll have the chance to meet other 'family' members that aren't on cruise critic too.

Oh, BTW - I've lost around 35 lbs since my icon photo, so don't overlook me by looking for someone quite so... 'roundish'... LOL.

hi halfans - ok, that makes sense, we can meet at the photo op at the bow - actually it is called the forecastle (pronounced foc'sul) - the bow is more of a stuctural element - the front edge of the ship that cuts through the water, the name of the deck we will be meeting at is forecastle - don't ask - i think it is 19th century maritime nomenclature

the thing is if you use that term you would never get anyone to the meeting place except old navy salts like me - or i can always stop by the bar at 2 pm and take a quick peek - bookman

hi halfans -

forgot to give you a heads up on the weight loss, great work! i know it is not easy.

if you are interested, i exercise 5 days/wk. not weights, more aerobic - jogging, walking

i usually alternate - jog one day, walk the other, usually at about 6.30 am -ish. for about 30 minutes - which is a 3 mile jog for me, or 1.5 mile walk, the exercising will allow you to not worry too much about putting weight back on during the cruise. depending on your experience i would recommend the walking. don't hesitate to say no if that is not your thing. i have been jogging for 30 years, so it is like 2nd nature for me - bookman

p.s. i would not start any exercise program without checking with your primary care physician, especially is you have been sedentary - b

Thanks, bookman!

I generally don't have any problem with weight gain on a cruise, as I'm so much more active than normal.

Primary physician? I seem to remember going to a Doctor 11 years ago... Might have been 12. LOL.

hi halfans -

you are one of the lucky ones. i am "positive" so i see my dr. 3-4/yr. - just to keep track of my count. it was tough going in the 80's. but once they came out with combination therapy it has been smooth sailing so-to-speak. i actually think the all the running i did, back then 25-30 miles/wk, was one of the things that helped me make it - b

Sorry to hear that, but glad you're doing well!

We're both Negative... don't know how I missed it because I was pretty promiscuous way back then. Got into my first relationship in 1980 (for 12 years), which may have been the 'saving grace'.

My younger brother wasn't so lucky and he passed on 20 years ago.

So when we meet for our drinks are you going to be drinking cranberry juice, or do your meds allow alcohol? (Preferably LOTS of alcohol :D)

hi halfans -

i do drink - when i am out to dinner with friends, sometimes i cook with beer, but then the alcohol evaporates - i would say no more than one or two drinks/night - i am okay with that as i was never a big drinker

i lost my younger brother to the virus - about 14 years ago.

bookman

Hi Bookman!

1 or 2 drinks - enough to be social, not enough to get silly. ;)

Actually we're both drinking a whole lot less than we used to. Time was when our bar bills always exceeded the amount we paid for the cruise.

Ah, for the 'good old days'. LOL

• 3 weeks later...

I'm hoping a few 'late booking' family are going to be joining us!

It will soon be time to start rummaging through the closet for clothes.

Sounds like the other half isn't going to take a tux this time, so I'll probably leave mine behind too. Sigh.

I'm hoping a few 'late booking' family are going to be joining us!

It will soon be time to start rummaging through the closet for clothes.

Sounds like the other half isn't going to take a tux this time, so I'll probably leave mine behind too. Sigh.

hi halfans -

no tux for me, i have a business suite that will work fine, i think i will take a bow tie for that "look". it has been just the three of us on this thread, so that would be great to have a additional "family".

i am a list writer so i have started my lists i have pads in a couple of rooms, so that when i think of something i can write it down - i know anal retentive - but it works me.

i am taking the amtrak down from la - about 2.5 hours, i should arrive in sd at about 12.30. really looking forward to this time off, i saw you list on the other thread. my ex bf will be on the queen mary 2 - southhamton - ny the 1st week of our cruise, we are having a bon voyage dinner this weekend. (he will be with his current bf)

looking forward to seeing you in about two weeks

bookman

(I'm a big fan of bow ties myself!)

...i am taking the amtrak down from la - about 2.5 hours, i should arrive in sd at about 12.30....

Chris's mom took the Amtrak from LA to San Diego for one of her cruises. They had so many problems! If she hadn't come down the day before she would have missed boarding the ship. This was a couple of years ago, so maybe things are running smoother now.

Have you checked with them to see what their current on-time record is for that Saturday run?

We'd really like to try one of the Queens for a trans-atlantic, but HAL has some fantastic 'voyage of the vikings' type sailings that are extremely popular for the Northern crossing, and on the other hand, there's the 1 week mediterranean/1 week TATL combos that are fantastic values for a 13-15 day cruise.

it has been just the three of us on this thread, so that would be great to have a additional "family".

I'm wondering if Jenny is family? She found us here before joining the regular roll call.

hi halfans -

thanks for that info on amtrak, i did check two sites, one an amtrak site the other not associated with. the amtrak site showed 84% on time for sept. the non-related site showed nothing greater than twelve minutes for the four week period. but i know what you are talking about - i took the amtrak from la to seattle to compete in the gay games

(1990) - vancouver - (then the ferry from seattle to vancouver) i remember i was about five or six hours late, but i was not on a tight schedule so no-big-deal. i have travel insurance so i think i am ok.

Archived