Disney Wonder with a 3/4 year old girl?

wildcatlh

As my sig shows, it's been a long time since I've been on a cruise. Now that the child that's the reason for the cruising delay is getting old enough, I've been thinking of going back into cruising. Starting with something small, one of the Disney Wonder 4-day cruises to the Bahamas out of Miami this winter/spring.

She turns 4 in April. We've been to Disney World a couple of times before. She loves the characters, especially the princesses.

Is there going to be enough for a kid that young to do? What kinds of activities are there for toddlers, besides the character meet-and-greets?

As my sig shows, it's been a long time since I've been on a cruise. Now that the child that's the reason for the cruising delay is getting old enough, I've been thinking of going back into cruising. Starting with something small, one of the Disney Wonder 4-day cruises to the Bahamas out of Miami this winter/spring.

She turns 4 in April. We've been to Disney World a couple of times before. She loves the characters, especially the princesses.

Is there going to be enough for a kid that young to do? What kinds of activities are there for toddlers, besides the character meet-and-greets?

Four is a great age to go on a disney cruise, kids clubs great, characters etc,

• 2 months later...

Our first DCL cruise was 4 nights and DD was only 15 months. I feel she had a good time and it was totally worth it. We are sailing again just before her 2nd birthday out of Miami for 5 nights because I felt 4 was a tad too short. One sea day wasnt enough for us.

I think the princesses came out almost every morning for pics.

redxpanda- that's great to hear!!! Dd will be 14 months.

From my research, there's lots of fun. the clubs have good open house hours if you don't want to drop her off or she doesn't want to stay without you.

They also have the pools and nemo's reef. Look up some of the navigators, that will give you an idea of the stuff to do.

They have a movie theater if you let her watch tv.

We are planning on taking a 4 yo (January BD) on the Disney Dream with the 8 other members of our family in August. Girl 11 and Boy 4 are over the moon excited already. Both have been to Disney World and the 11 yo has been at least 10 times as she lives in Florida and goes for Scouts, twirling, cheering etc. Both have cruised since 6 months of age and we find cruising a great way for all to vacation together. Lots of fun but each family can do as they want also (allows for difference in age and family standards of behavior :p). Both of my daughters love to cruise and love to cruise with their children-- probably the most important factor to a successful vacation. Both of my grandkids have valid passports and you should make sure what the rules are for any itinerary that you chose. Even the very young have to follow the rules (GS got a passport at 6 weeks of age and he certainly does not look like his passport picture:D) The fact that Granddaddy is footing the bill for 3 days DW and 4 days Disney Dream makes a Dream come true.

Our first cruise was when DDs were 15 months and 5 and it was on the Wonder. Great ship. Honestly there is so much to do that the girls spent very little time in the kids club. We generally get lots of pool time in the morning, usually order room service for an afternoon snack, and loved the afternoon movies on the Dream. Lots of family time which for us makes the perfect vacation. The Dawn this past summer was the first time the girls didn't want to leave the kids club because they were having such a good time. DW and I were wandering around the ship trying to figure out what to do with ourselves.

Again, thanks for the answers all.

We're going to be doing the 5 night Western Caribbean cruise on the Wonder out of the Port of Miami (easy since we live in South Florida) in February (double good thanks to the Florida resident rates that opened up for the cruise before final payment date!). She's excited, of course. I'm probably more excited than she is.

redxpanda- that's great to hear!!! Dd will be 14 months.

From my research, there's lots of fun. the clubs have good open house hours if you don't want to drop her off or she doesn't want to stay without you.

They also have the pools and nemo's reef. Look up some of the navigators, that will give you an idea of the stuff to do.

They have a movie theater if you let her watch tv.

We just got off the Dream with our newly 4 year old daughter and she had a great time! Would definitely recommend for girls of that age. I would like to point out that there are differences among the ships, though, so just make sure you know what is available on the ship you are looking at. For example, Nemo's Reef is available on the Dream and Fantasy, but I don't believe they have it on the Wonder or Magic. I believe that they have a small splash pool for children who are not potty trained in lieu of Nemo's Reef on those ships. They also do not have Aquaduck, Midship Detective Agency, enchanted art, or Remy on the classic ships. There are other differences as well. We are also looking at the Wonder for the FL resident rates, and while we worry that we will be disappointed in going from the newer to the older ship, I like the idea of trying something different, and maybe a smaller ship would be nice. DCL offers a very immersive Disney experience, and everything onboard is set up for the convenience of families with children, which is nice. That said, there are a LOT of children, so just prepare yourself :)

Archived