Miss QE2

MollyBrown

When I first sailed on QM2, shortly after she was launched, I found her quite spectacular, but she does not have the atmosphere of QE2. QE2 is\was unique.

I'm not sure Carnival\Princess is going to be able to find enough passengers for the QM2 transatlantic over the long haul. I can see QM2 possibly becoming another cruise ship. If they were to build another ship on the scale of, and similar to QE2, maintaining her traditions, and thus satisfying her traditional passengers, I think the transatlantic route would continue to be successful. Perhaps a QE3 or another Queen Victoria...

Also, I miss the Caronia dining room, which was more intimate than Brittania. On QM2 one is either en masse in Brittania, whether paying one or several thousand, or else one must buy one's tickets in the double digits (which rather echoes societal trends of late).

Not that I don't like Brittania, it's quite nice...

If they were to build another ship on the scale of, and similar to QE2, maintaining her traditions, and thus satisfying her traditional passengers, I think the transatlantic route would continue to be successful. Perhaps a QE3 or another Queen Victoria...

Also, I miss the Caronia dining room, which was more intimate than Brittania. On QM2 one is either en masse in Brittania, whether paying one or several thousand, or else one must buy one's tickets in the double digits (which rather echoes societal trends of late).

Not that I don't like Brittania, it's quite nice...

MollyBrown,

Must confess I found the title of the thread a little alarming.....I was thinking 'Miss QE2' as some new cheesy promotional gimic along the lines of 'Miss World'....but now get your drift.....

On 'maintaining her traditions', which QE2 manifestation had you in mind? The 1960s white plastic/chrome/black carpets, or her more recent faux 'liner deluxe'? With all due respect to the old girl, she's had more face lifts than Joan Rivers, so I suspect it would be useful to pin down which incaration is felt to have been 'traditional'.

I do think you have something of a point in that a 3 class ship (from a dining perspective) may be a little limited on the QM2- the QE2's 4 class - with a large, but single seating, Caronia may give more return for both passengers & line. The fare differential between cheapest & most expensive seat in Britannia is a factor of 2 - similar to the cheapest Mauretania to Most expensive Caronia on the QE2....but I guess thats a done deal now....

Peter

About 2 yrs ago, I asked Pam Conover why there was no "Caronia or equivilant" to be on the upcoming QM2.

Her answer was "The Brittania on the new QM2 will be to Caronia Restaurant standards".

Hmmm.... I have not sailed on QM 2 yet (I will in Aug) but it seems to me that this is not true from what I've read. Right away, the first flaw is the lack of single seating.

Not that the Caronia was "so fab" (I was spoiled by Grills on QE 2) but it was a LOT nicer than Mauretania, and I loved the "budget" option of choosing Caronia for single seating.

Michael

Qns Grill 4x

Prin Grill 2x

Brit Gril 2x

Caronia 3x

Mauret 3x

"The Brittania on the new QM2 will be to Caronia Restaurant standards". Hmmm.... I have not sailed on QM 2 yet (I will in Aug) but it seems to me that this is not true from what I've read.

Michael,

Oh dear.....I suspect you will find that Britannia is not even to Mauretania standards. You are absolutely right on the first weakness - single versus two sittings - add to that only the lower deck is used for breakfast or lunch and the chances of having 'your' table with 'your' staff falls to zero....which is a large part of the joy of single sitting dining. In Mauretania you could even choose your table for breakfast/lunch and so have a reasonable chance of having the same staff. In Britannia the Maitre 'D despatches you hither and yon to disparate parts of the restaurant so it really is 'lucky dip' with location or staff. Good luck!

Peter

About 2 yrs ago, I asked Pam Conover why there was no "Caronia or equivilant" to be on the upcoming QM2.

Her answer was "The Brittania on the new QM2 will be to Caronia Restaurant standards".

Hmmm.... I have not sailed on QM 2 yet (I will in Aug) but it seems to me that this is not true from what I've read. Right away, the first flaw is the lack of single seating.

Not that the Caronia was "so fab" (I was spoiled by Grills on QE 2) but it was a LOT nicer than Mauretania, and I loved the "budget" option of choosing Caronia for single seating.

Michael

Qns Grill 4x

Prin Grill 2x

Brit Gril 2x

Caronia 3x

Mauret 3x

I had some terrific table mates in Caronia, and I liked the atmosphere. QG class I tried once, and found it OK, but not outstanding. Besides, I tend to have a somewhat puritan ethic about spending.

I've met intersting people from all restaurant "categories", but I doubt there will be many trust fund babies on QM2 at this point (many of whom are worth only in the low millions or less. These days you have to have at least 10 million to live the "high life"), and fewer traditional Cunarders, as QM2 seems to be turning away from Cunard traditions.

I think that people are mentioning here something I was thinking about the other day that was a huge mistake on QM2. On QE2, for just a little more money, you can get a Caronia cabin and have single-seating dining. On QM2, however, you have to go all the way to the Princess Grill to get single seating.

You can get an outside Caronia on QE2 for the same price as a balcony on QM2 (the price and quantity equivalents). But that outside Caronia will be single-seating.

I think it was a big mistake on Cunard's part. I think that, from the photos, the Britannia is beautiful, but I think the way it works isn't. That's my opinion, and that's why I'd rather go on QE2 (among other things).

Yes but .... a Caronia outside cabin on QE2 is vastly inferior to a balcony cabin on QM2 - a high price just to eat between 7pm and 9pm or to have breakfast and lunch at the same table if you so choose.

And don't forget that those of us travelling as singles pay for two passengers on QM2, as there are no single cabins or rates. Therefore, should one want single seating or a more intimate style of restaurant, everything is times two.

For a higher grade B level cabin, one pays several thousand, but one has the same restaurant choice as someone paying under a thousand.

Molly ... you are right about the lack of single cabins on QM2, that is an unfortunate design oversight on all modern passenger ships.

I hear what you say about someone in a B1 cabin paying considerably more than someone in a D6, but it depends which way you look at it - isn't that a great improvement for those booking D6's?

Ken

I had some terrific table mates in Caronia, and I liked the atmosphere. QG class I tried once, and found it OK, but not outstanding. Besides, I tend to have a somewhat puritan ethic about spending.

I've met intersting people from all restaurant "categories", but I doubt there will be many trust fund babies on QM2 at this point (many of whom are worth only in the low millions or less. These days you have to have at least 10 million to live the "high life"), and fewer traditional Cunarders, as QM2 seems to be turning away from Cunard traditions.

The old battle between old and new money. These days, new is far wealthier than old, on the whole, and seems to be dominating. As the former also disdains the latter (especially in America, where anything resembling European aristocracy is much despised), they are only too happy to relagate old money to the masses.

If some believe Princess is trying to do away with British Cunard tradition, they are probably right.

guernseyguy,

Breakfast I can "kind of" understand, but LUNCH?

OH NO! That is so horrible! I did not know that!

You know, that is my BIGGEST pet peeve about Maur Rest on QE 2, and about the lovely Windward Dining room on SS Norway (ex-SS FRANCE of 1962).... but at least on the Norway we were able to get our dinner waiter to hold our table for us for 1 PM lunch every sea day of our 2001 crossing.

I sailed on the Regal Empress (the ex- OLYMPIA of 1953) out of NYC once. I knew it would be "tacky/awful" but I wanted to see another old liner. Despite the bargain rates and cheezy atmosphere, they have assigned seating for all three meals in two shifts! It was so nice!

Why can't Cunard do that as well? Esp on a crossing where everyone is not on deck/on shore all day in swimwear.

Michael

guernseyguy,

Breakfast I can "kind of" understand, but LUNCH?

OH NO! That is so horrible! I did not know that!

Michael

Michael,

I know....I think I sat in all four corners of Britannia until I gave up & went to the Kings Court instead and usually I 'don't do buffets'. In Mauretania, except when we had rough weather & safety was an issue you could sit where you liked - and even if 'your' table by the window had gone (quite possibly to the other people who 'owned' it, but at the early sitting) you could always sit in the same area, so have the same wait staff....On the QE2 in three crossings I used the Buffet once....on the QM2, in one, four times.....I think the Maitre'D on the QM2 are trying to be helpful....but may not understand the element of 'territoriality' that some of us have.....

Peter

I just realized what you were/are saying:

Do you mean when you walk into Britannia your can not just go to any table you like at lunch? The maitre d' sends you to a table of his choosing?!?

<gasp>

Michael

Michael,

I know....I think I sat in all four corners of Britannia until I gave up & went to the Kings Court instead and usually I 'don't do buffets'. In Mauretania, except when we had rough weather & safety was an issue you could sit where you liked - and even if 'your' table by the window had gone (quite possibly to the other people who 'owned' it, but at the early sitting) you could always sit in the same area, so have the same wait staff....On the QE2 in three crossings I used the Buffet once....on the QM2, in one, four times.....I think the Maitre'D on the QM2 are trying to be helpful....but may not understand the element of 'territoriality' that some of us have.....

Peter

I haven't tried breakfast or lunch in Brittania. However, room service breakfast has only those psuedo scrambled eggs, and King's Court, basically the same fare every day. So I gather one just saunters into Brittania and is seated at various different tables... If the food is worth it, I will try it.

I just realized what you were/are saying:

Do you mean when you walk into Britannia your can not just go to any table you like at lunch? The maitre d' sends you to a table of his choosing?!?

<gasp>

Michael

Thats how it works.....one gets to find the most interesting nooks & crannies one would not otherwise discover....voluntarily.....:eek:

Peter

But is the food worth it? How are the breakfast and lunch menus?

Yes, I found the food good - but not, ultimately, 'worth it' and settled on the Kings Court more often than not for breakfast & lunch - something I NEVER did on the QE2. Lunch in the Golden Lion, if you can i) get a table, ii) away from the smokers is jolly good too.

Peter

Archived