Kayak trip for Day 2 in Kauai?

Has anyone done either of POA's ship excursions for kayaking in Kauai? Or even a non-ship excursion? We have a car rented for Day 1, and are going to the canyon. We won't have the car for Day 2, and are not sure what to do. I would love to find a kayak excursion.

We rented a car for 24-hr. On day 1, we took the Air Venture plane tour in the morning, then started renting at 11:30am. Got the car around noon, which means we technically can return the car at 12:30noon the next day with the grace period.

Anyway, we drove to Waimea Canyon and Poipu Beach on day 2. On day 1, we drove to Ke'e Beach. But on the way we went to Wailua Falls, then to Okeapea? Falls. Right around there we saw a sign pointing to a road down, to Kamokila Village. We drove down to the Wailua River and there was an outfit renting kayaks out. My wife and I rented a double kayak for $40/hr. It was expensive, but we enjoyed that kayaking to Fern Grotto, and kayaked a bit more around. Actually took more than an hour, but it was ok with them. They didn't really keep track of the time people went out or come back in. It was a very laid back op there.

At this Kamokila Village, there's an entrace fee of $5/p to tour the village. It didn't look like much or worth doing a tour. But because there is a coupon in one of the coupon books (we took the coupon books out and asked them what might apply there) there was a coupon of free village tour with kayak rental, we decided to take a tour of the village for a few minutes. It was actually quite interesting. A lot of the different fruit trees, were all bearing fruits that we could see. We also saw a bunch of straw huts buildings, that were for different purposes, with signs and descriptions. I also found a coconut that had fallen from a coconut tree. I took that out to the front. But there was nobody attending the entrace (there's usually only 1 person collecting fees for kayaks). So I found a wooden stick with a sharp edge, and cracked the coconut myself and we drank the fresh coconut juice from it. That was a blast.

• 2 weeks later...

We did the NCL kayak trip and it was just ok. The waterfall was nice and we did get to climb up and under the waterfall which was trilling. We did see the sight of a Indian Jones movie, which trilled my DS(10). Kayaking was all upstream and the water was murkey. If I had to do it again I would skip.

• 2 weeks later...

Kayaking

Where: Kauai's Huleia National Wildlife Refuge

Why: This is an easy river to paddle, with a lazy current and beautiful scenery. Best of all, the route winds along the area used in the Indiana Jones movies - complete with ropes where passengers can stop and swing into the water. If you have time, finish up at the 50-foot Papakolea Falls or opt for the shorter version, which ends through a short hike through nature trails.

Watch out for: While not a strenuous route, it is a relatively long one (an hour-plus), so you should be in moderately good condition. No children under 3.

How: A river kayak shore excursion offering this tour is available, or try Island Adventures, departing from Nawiliwili Small Boat Harbor, http://www.hawaiiactivities.com.

Archived